Author Topic: Valve amp next buy?  (Read 2722 times)

Online skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Valve amp next buy?
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 05:51:00 pm »
Thanks for all the advice everyone, really appreciate it.  So I've gone for a VOX AC4TV with a 10" Celestion second-hand for ~150 quid.  I got it over the Mono Price due to the speaker size and the Mono Price I could only buy new with German plug..  Leaves me loads for a guitar and  goes down to 0.5 watt which seems perfect. If it doesn't work out for me I'll sell it on and just lose postage.  I see there is already a Les Paul thread so I wont bother you guys anymore :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 06:17:36 pm by skeldol »

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 10:14:00 pm »
Thanks for all the advice everyone, really appreciate it.  So I've gone for a VOX AC4TV with a 10" Celestion second-hand for ~150 quid.  I got it over the Mono Price due to the speaker size and the Mono Price I could only buy new with German plug..  Leaves me loads for a guitar and  goes down to 0.5 watt which seems perfect. If it doesn't work out for me I'll sell it on and just lose postage.  I see there is already a Les Paul thread so I wont bother you guys anymore :)

Well done, sounds like a really good choice. Hope you are happy with it.
BC (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Telecaster, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster DR, Joyo JTA-05

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 10:15:18 pm »
Yes, that sounds like a good choice and a good deal.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2020, 12:24:27 am »
Lot's of nice reviews for that amp on Reverb. Enjoy!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2020, 09:35:37 am »
Good choice, the attenuated output is definitely going to make it a winner!

Online skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 06:39:26 pm »
Well roll on four months...............

A month after buying the ACTV4 I came to the conlclusion that for the volumes I was interested in I preferred the Champion 20 & that for home use I probably wasn't going to get any better....

Fast forward to this week when my guitar teacher tells me he absolurtely has to buy a Delux Reverb Reissue.  Well I remember I was really interested in the Tonemaster one after the first reply on here recommended it but I couldn't find any secondhand at the time.  So I search & straight away one is going secondhand for what seems a bargain.  This HAS TO BE DESTINY right?

So today I got my TMDR.  WOW  it is what I have been looking for!  I love it!!!!!!  So thankyou very much for putting that idea in my head last October!!!

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 07:31:36 pm »

My advice ... you have a really good amp that can be used at home and give so many great tones.
Buy a different guitar instead.

This is awesome advice. Perhaps a new guitar and a cool looper?
I would def go for a second guitar: telecaster:-)
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 08:08:10 pm »
So today I got my TMDR.  WOW  it is what I have been looking for!  I love it!!!!!!  So thankyou very much for putting that idea in my head last October!!!

Congratulations on the new amp. Enjoy!!! Happy NAD.

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:25:12 pm by close2u »

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2021, 01:09:21 am »

They are a great amp, mine gets used every day, usually with the attenuator on the 0.5W setting at home.

Got a rehearsal room booked for Sunday afternoon with a couple of mates, so will get to really turn it up then!

Rod.
BC (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Telecaster, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2021, 07:27:38 am »
They are a great amp, mine gets used every day, usually with the attenuator on the 0.5W setting at home.

Got a rehearsal room booked for Sunday afternoon with a couple of mates, so will get to really turn it up then!

Rod.

Be careful with your ears
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2021, 11:28:38 am »
Be careful with your ears

For sure, only needed it on the 12W setting last time we did this. But we have a drummer this time, so could be loud.

I used to spend a lot of time in and around old aeroplanes, so I’m very careful of my ears. Will be taking earplugs.

Rod.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2021, 05:57:37 pm »

Those are nice; congratulations! I like Fender's approach with the Tonemaster amps.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2021, 06:45:15 pm »
Those are nice; congratulations! I like Fender's approach with the Tonemaster amps.
I whole-heartedly agree! Too rich for my blood though.

I dig that twin reverb clean tone the most, I'll have to settle with it from my little mustang. In a pinch I can get pretty close with the Joyo American Sound pedal. It's all good. :)

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2021, 07:50:03 pm »
Also need to be careful with your ears. You don’t want a ring in your ear for the rest of your life. Will never go away.

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2021, 11:49:51 pm »
I love my Blues Junior IV. It’s got a really nice, warm tube amp tone. And works excellent as a pedal platform. However, I do have to say it’s very loud as a bedroom (or in my case, office) amp. I usually can’t get past about 3 out of 12, and that’s super loud. Just something to think about. Modeling amps have come a long way for a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently studying Intermediate Foundation 2

Fender Telecaster, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Martin 000-X2E, Fender Blues Junior IV

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2021, 08:56:10 am »
Also need to be careful with your ears. You don’t want a ring in your ear for the rest of your life. Will never go away.

Did ok today in the rehearsal room. We had a very experienced drummer who could play well without being stupid loud.

Only needed the TMDR on the 12W setting on the attenuator and Volume on about 4-5. Wasn’t as loud as last time when we only had 2 guitarists.

Was great having a drummer and bassist.

Online skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2021, 10:04:29 am »

I've always been careful with my ears but got tinnitus following a cold (Covid?) last October.  Just a constant screaming in my head now morning, noon and night so yeah I whole heartedly endorse being very careful with ears!

Online skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2021, 10:06:14 am »
Only needed the TMDR on the 12W setting on the attenuator and Volume on about 4-5. Wasn’t as loud as last time when we only had 2 guitarists.

Was great having a drummer and bassist.

How many dB is it putting out at 12W on volume 5?   I measured mine at around 80db at 0.2W at volume 5.

Online skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2021, 10:29:43 am »
I love my Blues Junior IV. It’s got a really nice, warm tube amp tone. And works excellent as a pedal platform. However, I do have to say it’s very loud as a bedroom (or in my case, office) amp. I usually can’t get past about 3 out of 12, and that’s super loud. Just something to think about. Modeling amps have come a long way for a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 4 watt ACTV and it's just too loud by the time it sounds good.  I like the idea of valves but I'm too old and fond of my neighbours for the volume 😀

Online skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2021, 10:32:35 am »
Thanks jwc and ct.  If you were local enough id let you both have a borrow!

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2021, 10:56:34 am »
How many dB is it putting out at 12W on volume 5?   I measured mine at around 80db at 0.2W at volume 5.

No idea, maybe I should measure it sometime.

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2021, 02:21:01 pm »
No idea, maybe I should measure it sometime.
For an amp outing out 80db at 0.2W, 12W should push ~98db. That is pretty loud. Different amps will be very different, of course. It depends on the sensitivity of the speaker.

There are easy free apps to roughly measure sound pressure. Measure at 1 meter from the speaker.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App