Author Topic: I will call upon the Lord - Cover by LBro  (Read 776 times)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
I will call upon the Lord - Cover by LBro
« on: October 17, 2020, 05:34:27 pm »
This is a worship song I learned about 40 years back. I always liked the vocals, rounds and harmonies it had. I tried to do this song a couple years back and it did not go well. Now perhaps it is sharable. I sure would like to be able to write vocals for my original songs like this. Where the rounds tie into each other so well. But it is far beyond my grade. I tried to do this a little bit up-tempo, so I guess you could call it my own...

https://youtu.be/YE3UnCVdw6M

Hope you enjoy and take good care,
LBro
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
Re: I will call upon the Lord - Cover by LBro
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 06:02:31 pm »
Hi Lbro,

I can't say I know much about worship music - and indeed not expect this. Perhaps it's the distant memories of Sunday school music with a dodgy organ player.

I'd say this is good enough to share and rocks way more than one might expect. :)

Digger

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 09:55:33 pm »
You did really well, LBro. I too love, as you described, the rounds - intermingling the voice types perfectly. Your production sounded great. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 01:10:42 am »
Like all your production LB, this mix is well balanced, spacious, interesting. Please tell West Coast Media staff they've done a very good job  ;D   Your vocals are lovely, I like the interweaving voices a lot. You're hitting those high notes well, so take a bow, I know you've put a lot of time into improving your range and pitch.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:55:37 am »
LBro, an excellent production, much better than just "shareable". 

You did an excellent job of the vocal parts, the round ... your singing continues to progress, just reward for the time you have put into it.

Loved the LBro rock vibe and feel you gave this, the tones on the guitar parts ... just enough. And propelled by the drums.

My subjective 2cs worth on the mix ... it is good as is but if I'd been mixing it, I suspect I'd have lifted the vocals a smidge, pushed them a little more up front.

Excellent job and a fine listen on a fine Sunday morn.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 09:55:16 am »
Hi Lbro,

I can't say I know much about worship music - and indeed not expect this. Perhaps it's the distant memories of Sunday school music with a dodgy organ player.

I'd say this is good enough to share and rocks way more than one might expect. :)
Digger
Hi Digger,
Na, no "Sunday school" music on this one. Rather this was back about the time I was 20-30 years old and in the main sanctuary. Ha, we never had an organ mate... just a piano. I guess our church back then was a Holy Roller...

Glad it rocked for you and that you seemed to like it. Far cry from what you and Katja do. That is for sure!

Take good care!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 09:57:04 am »
You did really well, LBro. I too love, as you described, the rounds - intermingling the voice types perfectly. Your production sounded great. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Thanks Boo,
Glad it struck your fancy... So I take it you still like the "traditional" version?

Take care and rock,
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 09:59:26 am »
Like all your production LB, this mix is well balanced, spacious, interesting. Please tell West Coast Media staff they've done a very good job  ;D   Your vocals are lovely, I like the interweaving voices a lot. You're hitting those high notes well, so take a bow, I know you've put a lot of time into improving your range and pitch.
Hi BW,
Thanks on the mix and production. Yep, time has been invested into the vox for sure.. Some areas are showing good growth and others are in need of more. So it goes I guess...

All my rockin best,
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 10:02:37 am »
LBro, an excellent production, much better than just "shareable". 

You did an excellent job of the vocal parts, the round ... your singing continues to progress, just reward for the time you have put into it.

Loved the LBro rock vibe and feel you gave this, the tones on the guitar parts ... just enough. And propelled by the drums.

My subjective 2cs worth on the mix ... it is good as is but if I'd been mixing it, I suspect I'd have lifted the vocals a smidge, pushed them a little more up front.

Excellent job and a fine listen on a fine Sunday morn.
Hi DP,
Glad you liked this one and thanks for the kind comments. I actually had the vox up over top more and uploaded it to YouTube. But in listening I thought the drums should come up a bit more, which I did. I thought about adding a bit to the box but it would have pushed down the wonky guitars. On those I did not like the rather loud back-rake on the chords. I should have tried playing that a bit different to eliminate that possibly.

At any rate, take good care!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 10:08:18 am »
Hi DP,
Glad you liked this one and thanks for the kind comments. I actually had the vox up over top more and uploaded it to YouTube. But in listening I thought the drums should come up a bit more, which I did. I thought about adding a bit to the box but it would have pushed down the wonky guitars. On those I did not like the rather loud back-rake on the chords. I should have tried playing that a bit different to eliminate that possibly.

At any rate, take good care!
LB

Thanks for the extra insights on the mix, LBro.  It is so true that tweaking one thing influences everything else and in the end I think a final mix is a blend of a host of trade-offs. 

That said, this was a most enjoyable listen.

Keep on rocking and producing from your studio ... always a good listen.

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 10:52:32 pm »
Thanks Boo,
Glad it struck your fancy... So I take it you still like the "traditional" version?

Take care and rock,
LB

Hehe! Yeah, when it comes to gospel, I’m programmed for acapella

But this is definitely one of my favorite songs. I actually thought it was a fairly new song. Do you know when it was written?

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 11:22:01 pm »
Thanks for the extra insights on the mix, LBro.  It is so true that tweaking one thing influences everything else and in the end I think a final mix is a blend of a host of trade-offs. 

That said, this was a most enjoyable listen.

Keep on rocking and producing from your studio ... always a good listen.
Hi,
Trade offs indeed. I always like when you up the fader on one thing and then end up upping the fader more on other tracks. Soon it is a war until you run out of headroom.... LOL
 ;)

Keep on rockin!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 11:28:14 pm »
Hehe! Yeah, when it comes to gospel, I’m programmed for acapella

But this is definitely one of my favorite songs. I actually thought it was a fairly new song. Do you know when it was written?

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Well I recall singing this in church at least back in the 90's. But I thought it went back farther. You are correct Pam as it is not THAT old. Here is something on it from Google:

I WILL CALL UPON THE LORD                                                    written in 1981

The Story

Michael O’Shields (1948 – ) was a traveling Bible teacher in West Texas and Oklahoma. That is a lot of territory to cover, but the need to make a living and the meager offerings from his ministry required him to travel a lot.

His Bible studies were often conducted in homes, quite often in farmhouses in rural areas. People seemed to be hungry for good Bible teaching, and Michael was thrilled to be used by the Lord in this way, but he was newly married and he needed to bring home some money for groceries. He remembers one time driving from Oklahoma to Abilene, Texas, for a Saturday night meeting… and returning with an offering of $12.

The long trips, though, gave Michael time to write some songs, which he sometimes introduced to those attending Bible studies. This song was one of those songs.

So there we have it. This article should be close as Mr O'Shields name is on my sheet music too!

Keep on rockin,
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 03:41:51 am »
Hi,
Trade offs indeed. I always like when you up the fader on one thing and then end up upping the fader more on other tracks. Soon it is a war until you run out of headroom.... LOL
 ;)

Oh yeah LB, tell me about it, then before you know it, those horrible little red clipping things appear and refuse to go away.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 04:24:41 am »
Nice job LB sounds very professional.   I don't know the song but I reckon your version would rock the church!
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 06:17:55 am »
Oh yeah LB, tell me about it, then before you know it, those horrible little red clipping things appear and refuse to go away.
Hi,
Your reply caught my eye and I can tell you what I do when I run out of headroom (red clipping fader meters)! When this happens you are too hot at the track level. In my case I normally feed tracks into Sub folders. If that is the case, then I take and tag each sub folder track (highlight it with cont-C or shift if they are in a row). Then I bring them all down -6dB. If I am simply using tracks I would bring each down by tagging them and bringing those down -6dB. Now when you do this your signal to and out of the Master Track or main bus likely will be too low. So on the master track/bus I put on a soft limiter with the capability to add "makeup volume". I will raise that up to bring the overall signal up to a point it looks good in the rendering meters. Normally -.1 or -.2dB. By doing the above you should always have ample headroom on your track mixes and fine control of the level out of the master bus or track!

Hope that helps!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 06:21:51 am »
Nice job LB sounds very professional.   I don't know the song but I reckon your version would rock the church!
Thanks Alex! I think it would have been a better production if I had been able to capture and reproduce the original bass. I kind of winged it there.

I tell you one thing. We don't need my song to rock the church with this one. When a couple hundred folks strike up this song in a good acoustics church it is awesome to be in the middle of the sound hearing and feeling it. To me it was always a moving experience for sure!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! All my rocking best to you!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 09:47:29 am »
Hi,
 ;)

Keep on rockin!
LB

LOL ... experienced that before.  And then I end up selecting everything and pulling all the faders back down together to re-introduce the headroom. I think grouping tracks and using sends to bus tracks has made managing headroom more effective for me.

Edit ...

Hi,
Your reply caught my eye and I can tell you what I do when I run out of headroom (red clipping fader meters)! When this happens you are too hot at the track level. In my case I normally feed tracks into Sub folders. If that is the case, then I take and tag each sub folder track (highlight it with cont-C or shift if they are in a row). Then I bring them all down -6dB. If I am simply using tracks I would bring each down by tagging them and bringing those down -6dB. Now when you do this your signal to and out of the Master Track or main bus likely will be too low. So on the master track/bus I put on a soft limiter with the capability to add "makeup volume". I will raise that up to bring the overall signal up to a point it looks good in the rendering meters. Normally -.1 or -.2dB. By doing the above you should always have ample headroom on your track mixes and fine control of the level out of the master bus or track!

Hope that helps!
LB

Should've read all the replies before posting this one  ;D

Seems like we are singing from a similar songbook ... you are among those who have taught me well  :)

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 10:26:57 am »
I'll limit myself to commenting on performance and production. Six years of Swiss Benedictine monks singing Gregorian chant every week left me 'programmed' like Pam.
(Also, in a weird way for a true believer, I like my religion songs to be edgy  ::))

Rockin' tune, well-played with nice weaving vocals. I'd love to have your studio skills.
Like David, I would have enjoyed the vox a little more prominent.
Rock on  8)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2020, 12:40:23 pm »
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the fly by and listen! Thanks also for your comments.

Just for you and DP I have the mix I was going to post. What really happened on this one is the drums level are lower. That makes the vox or vocals seem a bit louder.

See what you think and let me know:
https://youtu.be/75ItQt-atgA

Ta and keep a rockin,
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 02:50:09 pm »
Had a listen to both, LBro, though only through my earbuds so not the best reproduction.  And based on that I think you made the right call on which one to post. And certainly wouldn't want the vocal being lifted higher to trigger issues with how the guitars sit in the mix.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 03:58:45 pm »
Praise the lord and pass the Pepsi! We don't get enough gospel around here.

You are in your zone on this one, solid rhythm guitar work end to end. On time and on the money! Dug it!   

Online J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2020, 07:55:24 pm »
Good job, LB. Playing sounded in the pocket, and I think the rounds in the vocals worked well.

Haven't heard this song, before (my worship music exposure is more on the Palestrina side of things), but that sounded like a worthy rendition, to me.  :)

Offline Mike Sebastian P

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 07:57:00 pm »
Hi LBro, I think it's very good when our dreams come true. I'm glad you did it, I'm not familiar with the original, but your performance is very good! I liked your vocals as always, the mix and everything else is just as good.

Mike

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 11:54:23 pm »
Hi,

Hope that helps!
LB

Thanks LB for the explanation. Now printed out and added to my notes.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App