Author Topic: Positive Grid Spark Amp  (Read 1546 times)

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Positive Grid Spark Amp
« on: October 16, 2020, 03:42:13 pm »
I'm sure you've all seen or heard of these by now. Looks an amazing piece of kit, some of the videos by real life users on Youtube are amazing! (This is not an advert for Positive Grid)

Anyway I've been using a little Roland MicroCube GX since I bought my first guitar a couple of months ago, order the Spark Amp a couple of days ago and can't wait for it.

Anyone else got one?
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Positive Grid Spark Amp

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
Re: Positive Grid Spark Amp
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 06:23:28 pm »

Offline akm

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 11:07:51 am »
I ordered it about a week ago, but now I see Keith's review and I'm kind of regretting it haha

Anyway, all the YouTube reviews say it's a good practice amp and that's what I'll be using it for so I guess I'm fine with it.

Offline fint

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 03:20:38 pm »
Yes: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=47747.msg432181#msg432181

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Do you still feel the same way about this amp and are you still using it for messing around or is it collecting dust?

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 05:27:31 pm »
I use it a bit simply because it's next to where I practice and it's convenient.

If I didn't have it I would use one of the other amps I have and wouldn't really miss it but, then again, I do have other amps.

I actually do use it for bass as it's quite good for that and it's much quieter than my big bass amp.

I'm actually posting this from my elderly parents house, as I had to visit them to help look after my Mum whilst my Dad was in hospital. I brought a guitar and my Yamaha THR to use whilst I'm here (as my parents tend to go to bed really early). The THR is great for this. If I didn't have the THR I could have brought the Spark, but probably wouldn't have. My THR has batteries which the Spark doesn't, and that makes it more useful for portable use and, to me, the sound from the THR is as good as, or better, than the Spark. Having said that, it is considerably more expensive.

If the Spark is the only amp you have or the only amp you have in a given room, then it's fine. It's not a bad little practice amp, especially for the money.

I just don't think it's as amazing as the YouTube  promotions suggest. I wouldn't recommend against buying one, but I would recommend shopping around for other options before you do.

For example, if you have the space and want something that will be more than just a home practice amp, a Katana 50 or a Fender LT25 might be better for similar money. I've not used the LT25 but it has good reviews and, from my direct experience, the Katana sounds much better than the Spark.

If size and portability is a key requirement, I would consider the Yamaha THR range.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:35:09 pm »
I’ve had mine for a little while now, for me it’s great.
Very easy to set up and for someone that is still, in the very early stages of learning its great to be able to very easily choose different tones etc without any pedals or setting up
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Positive Grid Spark Amp

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 12:20:50 am »
Yes, I agree. But my point is that that description could apply to many amps on the market around that price range, many of which could be as good as, or better, than the Spark for many players, depending on their needs.

Which is why I suggested shopping around.

The Spark is a good amp, but is it significantly better than other options? Is it "special" compared with other options?

In my view, no.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline akm

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 10:50:00 pm »
Keith,

Wish I had seen your posts before ordering one. My other choice was Katana MKII 50 but I ended up ordering a Spark.

That being said, I'll reserve judgement until I receive the darn thing Lol.

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 11:00:07 pm »
Akm
It's not a bad little amp for the size and money. I think you'll probably enjoy it.

Cheers,

Keith

Get The Forum As A Mobile App