Author Topic: Is playing guitar good for your mental health?  (Read 780 times)

Offline gustavowoltmann

• Good Vibes 0
Is playing guitar good for your mental health?
« on: October 16, 2020, 05:29:30 am »
We see playing guitar as a form of mindful escapism, a way to create space between an individual and their busy mind. Guitar-playing is beneficial to your overall well-being and mental health in other ways, too, including helping you develop a greater sense of personal achievement.

What you say about this?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 09:34:04 am by close2u »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Is playing guitar is good for your mental health?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 07:36:42 am »
I totally agree with you, I think that at times that I would have found it very much harder to get on with my life when I was at my lowest during my acceptance of my new life with Fibromyalgia. It was something that I looked forward to even when playing wasn’t possible due to the pain and memory loss, it was worth waiting and persevering with it, I’m currently learning to play again and making some headway.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline useDraW

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 07:44:21 am »
IT IS! as long as you don't take it too seriously where it stops becoming fun because then you just end up not wanting to play the darn thing! :P
21 yo noisemaker/musician, been playing guitar for 12'ish years... "when you get to a point where you think "wow, i suck at this.. but i don't care" that's when you really improve." -useDraW-

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 01:23:01 am »
Is guitar playing good for my mental health?

Depends on the day. It's a roller coaster ride for me.

The highs of nailing something, the lows of when it eludes me; the pleasure of finding a new thing to learn, the frustration of how long it can take to master the new learning; being able to play and sing a song that makes me break out in goosebumps because it sounds so good, the times I play and sing so badly it almost makes me throw up; being on fire with the passion, wanting to give up because I feel like a loser.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 04:36:23 am »
IT IS! as long as you don't take it too seriously where it stops becoming fun because then you just end up not wanting to play the darn thing! :P

I took it seriously from day one because I had goals in my mind. It’s become an absolute addiction with me. I come home from work and play for a couple of hours every night. I am always trying to challenge myself with new stuff. It’s a passion.

When I have had an absolute crummy day at work, I will come home and pick up my guitar. It changes my perspective on things. I love my guitars💕
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline gustavowoltmann

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 04:56:15 am »
Listening to music can be entertaining, and some research suggests that it might even make you healthier. Music can be a source of pleasure and contentment, but there are many other psychological benefits as well. Music can relax the mind, energize the body, and even help people better manage pain.

Offline firstrazor

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 12:03:19 pm »
Learning guitar really helps me go through this pandemic time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 12:06:29 pm »
Is guitar playing good for my mental health?

Depends on the day. It's a roller coaster ride for me.

The highs of nailing something, the lows of when it eludes me; the pleasure of finding a new thing to learn, the frustration of how long it can take to master the new learning; being able to play and sing a song that makes me break out in goosebumps because it sounds so good, the times I play and sing so badly it almost makes me throw up; being on fire with the passion, wanting to give up because I feel like a loser.

Damn, that about perfectly sums it up!
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 01:42:56 pm »
Playing guitar is the best anti-depressant.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline gustavowoltmann

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 10:08:19 am »
Learning guitar really helps me go through this pandemic time.
Hope this pandemic will end soon. you know music can be utilized to regulate mood. Because of its rhythmic and repetitive aspects, music engages the neocortex of our brain, which calms us and reduces impulsivity.

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 02:07:17 pm »
in the last 10 weeks our entire lives have been turned upside down, we had to move in with the mother in law as she has health issues, my usual "play it loud!" for mood music is totally out of the window, a 95 year old doesn't like my taste in music for some reason  :o
I got myself a new bass to cheer myself up, it has a hollow body and I'm able to get a decent sound without a lot of volume, plus I'm trying songs I'd of never even thought of trying in the past.
But yeah in my part of the UK its all going belly up again and its proving a great distraction
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 08:04:48 pm »
Yes, if you're a fairly reasonable person that understands that Eddie Ray Hendrix only makes it LOOK easy. No, if you think a high level of mastery should come to you instantaneously.

Offline useDraW

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 11:08:16 pm »
Yes, if you're a fairly reasonable person that understands that Eddie Ray Hendrix only makes it LOOK easy. No, if you think a high level of mastery should come to you instantaneously.
another thing to keep in mind is how much they improv during leads and filler leads while playing rhythm parts, which are both very challenging in their own way especially the ruts that lead to samey sounding stuff while they have kept it mostly fresh which is a skill unto itself.
21 yo noisemaker/musician, been playing guitar for 12'ish years... "when you get to a point where you think "wow, i suck at this.. but i don't care" that's when you really improve." -useDraW-

Offline gustavowoltmann

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 01:16:03 am »
you know playing instruments can encourage emotional expression, socialization and exploration of various therapeutic themes as well.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 12:54:41 am »
you know playing instruments can encourage emotional expression, socialization and exploration of various therapeutic themes as well.
You can also play really, really loud. How cool is that?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App