Author Topic: I'd value your views on this early cut of a Christian worship song  (Read 300 times)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
OK then. Here's a very quick demo of verse 1+chorus (chorus is the same in both, or at least supposed to be):

https://soundcloud.com/mister_boy/you_name_001/s-Q7J1DziM7o3

Context: this is being written as a congregational song, something that would be sung in a church. I appreciate not everyone is familiar with that scene but it means a few extra points for the songwriter:
  • It needs to be easy to pick up, you should be able to follow it after hearing it once
  • It needs to be easy to sing - this is not a place to show off your vocal range or dazzle people
  • It needs a clear, consistent message - the words really matter (these are almost all direct bible references)

It's not quite the same, but the closest I can get to a congregational worship setting is a crowd singalong when Oasis do Wonderwall, people singing like they mean it and really belting it out.

My versions are not perfect but I think show the two different directions I'm trying. The 2nd version is actually the original, I picked this up after a year and couldn't remember how it went and that's where the first version comes from :)

All comments at detailed or high level welcome. Clearly this is a worship song and not everyone's thing, but please let's not get into religion beyond the song itself!!

Added a poll if you prefer.

BTW if it helps for those unfamiliar with this genre here's a good example from (1:30 in) https://youtu.be/uS30B_uKpIU?t=92. CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) is rarely heard in the UK but it's a major industry in the US, and Matt's a very well-known artist.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:31:18 pm by john256 »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: I'd value your views on this early cut of a Christian worship song
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 02:18:01 pm »
Listened to both versions, John ... I found myself undecided in terms of preference. If I had to make a choice, I think I'd go with the second.  But quite close and both have appeal.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 02:21:44 pm »
Well, they're very similar, but I think the phrasing of the first one (i.e., first in the recording you posted) is probably easier for the congregation to pick up.

You might consider lengthening the last note of some melodic phrases (e.g., "die" in "immortal yet he chose to die"). I think people would like singing a "big phrase" like that right before the lift into the chorus.

Out of curiosity, do you intend to create a score for the song? And are there other instruments involved, or just guitar?

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 02:35:56 pm »
Well, they're very similar, but I think the phrasing of the first one (i.e., first in the recording you posted) is probably easier for the congregation to pick up.

You might consider lengthening the last note of some melodic phrases (e.g., "die" in "immortal yet he chose to die"). I think people would like singing a "big phrase" like that right before the lift into the chorus.

Out of curiosity, do you intend to create a score for the song? And are there other instruments involved, or just guitar?
Cheers. I was torn on that bit you mention - musically I like the change-up but probably because it's unexpected now I think about it.

In this sub-culture, all these songs (typically) are written around a singer-songwriter person+guitar as this is lowest common denominator for a small church where you might just have one or two people with any musical talent, or for a dozen people meeting in a house group (like songs around a campfire for normal people!)
If I get that far, I would hope to get a typical 4-piece with drums, bass and an electric guitar for that 'soft rock'  feel. I have chord charts and can probably just about stretch my skills to a vocal score.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 02:56:21 pm »
Cheers. I was torn on that bit you mention - musically I like the change-up but probably because it's unexpected now I think about it.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. You could split the difference, keeping a shorter phrasing in the main part of the verse, and a longer more soaring one going into the chorus. But ultimately that's up to you: you're the songwriter!  :)

In this sub-culture, all these songs (typically) are written around a singer-songwriter person+guitar as this is lowest common denominator for a small church where you might just have one or two people with any musical talent, or for a dozen people meeting in a house group (like songs around a campfire for normal people!)
If I get that far, I would hope to get a typical 4-piece with drums, bass and an electric guitar for that 'soft rock'  feel. I have chord charts and can probably just about stretch my skills to a vocal score.

Got it. Sounds cool. If you end up expanding it out to bass and drums and such I'd love to hear it.

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 09:36:20 pm »
I went with the first one. Not quite sure why, they were very very close but found the first one more "fit for purpose" if this makes any sense? But whichever you choose will be okay for people to take on after the first listeninng. I hummed along straight away (and I am not a big singer), so I think you hit the nail on the head.

EDIT:
I think the reason why I went with the first one is just the bias that I started humming along with it straight away. So I voted based on "first impression gut feeling".

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 140
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 06:40:39 am »
First one for me too, just that ‘something’ about it!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App