Author Topic: Concorde's Road Case - an older female beginner's perspective  (Read 612 times)

Offline Concorde

• Good Vibes 4
Concorde's Road Case - an older female beginner's perspective
« on: October 12, 2020, 08:40:41 pm »
I happened up one of Justin's videos on YouTube one rainy afternoon. Bought myself the cheapest electric guitar from Amazon! And had a plink. It took me days and  weeks to get A, D, E ringing vaguely right. A friend lent me an acoustic guitar and it was horrendous. I couldn't make a single string ring out, when playing chords.
I was still at the sore fingers phase. I stuck with it for a while, and my husband decided to have a go too, unfortunately he's left handed, so we couldn't share. A trip to Guitar Guitar in Birmingham saw us walk out with two second hand guitars, two small Blackstar amps, two soft cases, two straps and a selection of picks. These were much better quality and they definitely play much better.
After a couple of months we found a local guitar teacher and this totally changed the speed of our learning. We've both come on leaps and bounds. Every lesson is a joy, our teacher has unbelievable patience and boundless enthusiasm. He's now a good friend and we regularly go and watch his band play.

So we did about 18 months and have progressed slightly differently. I'm more chord orientated and can play barre chords to about 85% perfect, and also starting power chords. Hubby is more lead orientated.
He's 62 and I'm 55. He's doing better with the stretches on the fretboard. I do find it impossible to get my thumb over the top for any chord other than D. My pudgy index finger will catch the top e string, and no amount of hand positioning changes it.
So my advice is yes, you can start learning at a later stage. Buy a reasonably good but cheap guitar, follow Justin and see if it's for you, and that you have the time and patience to practise for hours until you get that one thing right (looking at you Bm)
Try and afford a tutor, but make sure you explain the type of music you want to play.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: Concorde's Road Case - an older female beginner's perspective
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 09:53:35 pm »
Hi Concorde and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a success story for the two of you. Its never too late to learn by the way. Glad you found Justin and I hope you have made your way through his Beginners Course on the web site and not just followed the Youtube videos. You talk of barre chords, so have you dabbled in the Intermediate Course yet ? If not make sure you add that to your BC foundation.

So if the two of you are playing, are you making music together ? What better way to introduce yourselves here than to record something and post in the AOVYP section. 

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=28.0

If you want to learn and progress you've come to the perfect place and the forum is a great source for support and advice.

Enjoy the ride.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Twin Six

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 11:14:56 pm »
Great that you & your husband both play now. It sounds like you complement each other. There's not a lot that's more satisfying than learning to play an instrument, and it must be even more satisfying learning together.

1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 (twelve-string) "The Twin Six"
1989 Alvarez Yairi DY-39 (six-string)
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar
Fender Squier Bullet Telecaster
Vox Valvetronic VT20X

Offline Concorde

• Good Vibes 4
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 05:58:45 am »
I bought Justin's guitar app on my tab, but I couldn't keep up with those lessons and what my tutor was giving me to practise. Still go onto the website and get help there on stuff I'm not sure about. Lockdown had a strange effect with us. We, like a lot of people had great plans for Lockdown, and thought we'd practise for hours on end. That didn't happen, however now our lessons have started up again, I've felt totally invigorated with my practising.
I've spent this week away from home, and bought the acoustic with me to practice getting barre chords right on it. I've bought a looper and discovered I really need to work on my timing.
Hubby and I learn different things at different paces, and have really far apart music tastes. So we haven't played much together, but don't think it's that far off.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 06:52:06 am »
Welcome to the Community. Sounds like you are both making great progress.  And I can attest that playing with somebody is great fun, as my wife and I do so. Keep at it and the things you currently think are impossible will become possible.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 640
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 09:48:56 am »
Hello and welcome to our great community Concorde. Fantastic story of you and your husband learning together.
ps
I have moved this to thread to Road Cases and re-titled it for you.
:)

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 03:15:41 pm »
Welcome, Concorde!

Great to hear a story like that. It's wonderful that you found a teacher you get along with well, and also wonderful that you get to enjoy making music with your husband. My wife doesn't play any instruments, but my daughters both play, and it's always a joy to play with family.

I know you said you and your husband have varied musical tastes. What kind of music do you like playing? (And what does he enjoy?) 

I'd love to hear a recording. (And you needn't worry about the recording quality or skill level. We have a great community, here, with contributions at all levels, and we've all been beginners at some point.)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App