Author Topic: Site to hear how pedals sound together  (Read 409 times)

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Site to hear how pedals sound together
« on: October 12, 2020, 03:40:31 am »
So I’m planning on getting my own pedalboard, instead of a multi effects. But I want to know how these two overdrives I’m looking at right now will sound together. Is there a site where I can check that?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
Re: Site to hear how pedals sound together
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 07:54:01 am »
YouTube it....that's the place to see things normally...although given the plethora of pedals out there I'm not sure you'll find exactly what you want. I'd be interested to know what and why you want to see OD pedals played together unless you're planning to use one as a boost into another.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 03:45:59 pm »
I'd be interested to know what and why you want to see OD pedals played together unless you're planning to use one as a boost into another.
Oh because I’ve been watching videos and some mention that they have a “1st Stage” OD and a “2nd”. They say when they play it together, it makes a whole different sound lol

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 03:50:06 pm »
Correct and thats because they boost different frequencies as I understand it. So you're looking a for a dual boost/overdrive pedal rather than two separate pedals necessarily.

This YT video might help >>

and perhaps this one >>

Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 12:30:26 am »
Correct and thats because they boost different frequencies as I understand it. So you're looking a for a dual boost/overdrive pedal rather than two separate pedals necessarily.

This YT video might help >>

and perhaps this one >>

Thanks !

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 04:32:16 pm »
You have to give us more to go on. The thing about Youtube videos is that they convey what pedals have "potential" to sound like. What two or more specific pedals sound like stacked adds more variables on top of the controls on the pedals, tone from the amp, guitar, room and playing style. Which pedals do you own, which ones are you considering, which ones spark your interest?

I would suggest a Tube Screamer or TS clone to start out as a baseline overdrive pedal to begin with on its own merits and secondarily for stacking. It's a must have pedal because of the mid-bump that it brings to the table. 

Offline Matek

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 10:21:36 pm »
This might help

https://youtu.be/lGvGP_ARDTw

Sent from my SM-G960F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 07:39:42 am »
In my opinion, you can't rely on videos to give you more than a basic impression of a pedal. There are simply too many variables that affect the sound. The same pedal will sound a bit different with different guitars, amps, et cetera. Even things like the length of the cabling, the order of the pedals, and the presence or absence of buffers in the chain can affect the sound.

You can use videos to form a general impression, but there's no substitute for experimenting with actual pedals along with the guitar(s) and amp(s) (and other pedals) that you will be using. There's no substitute for "getting your hands dirty."

Just my two cents, for what it's worth...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 09:03:36 am »
To add to other comments about the severe limitations of using videos to 'hear' how pedals sound ... Not to mention that you will be listening to a compressed audio youtube video through something other than your amp speaker.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 140
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 09:18:15 am »
The other thing that bothers me is why are you looking at distortion fx if you’re joining a  church band?
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 03:27:26 pm »
The other thing that bothers me is why are you looking at distortion fx if you’re joining a  church band?
You can literally check any worship pedalboard and they have an overdrive or distortion

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 03:29:45 pm »
In my opinion, you can't rely on videos to give you more than a basic impression of a pedal. There are simply too many variables that affect the sound. The same pedal will sound a bit different with different guitars, amps, et cetera. Even things like the length of the cabling, the order of the pedals, and the presence or absence of buffers in the chain can affect the sound.

You can use videos to form a general impression, but there's no substitute for experimenting with actual pedals along with the guitar(s) and amp(s) (and other pedals) that you will be using. There's no substitute for "getting your hands dirty."

Just my two cents, for what it's worth...
Whattt, I didn’t know that. Some of the pedals I was looking forward to get was based on YT videos. But thanks for the heads up!

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 03:31:29 pm »
To add to other comments about the severe limitations of using videos to 'hear' how pedals sound ... Not to mention that you will be listening to a compressed audio youtube video through something other than your amp speaker.
Yea too many things to consider, now this is kinda tough :/ thanks for the help @everyone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App