Author Topic: The Gambler App vs songbook different?  (Read 532 times)

Offline SammyWI

• Good Vibes 0
The Gambler App vs songbook different?
« on: October 11, 2020, 05:12:04 pm »
I have both the Beginners song course App and Justin's Beginner Song Book.  But in the stage one song The Gambler the chord progression seems different between the two.  I noticed it because in the App you change between E and D several times but in the book it never switches directly between E and D, there is always an A between any D and E.  Am I missing something?  I'm very much a beginner so that's very possible.
Thanks in advance.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
Re: The Gambler App vs songbook different?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 07:39:11 pm »
Hi Sammy, welcome to the forum. Are you sure you’re reading the app correctly? I don’t have the app, I’ve got the songbook and D is always followed by A. I can’t see how an E followed by D would fit in anywhere.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:02:32 pm »
I just checked the App.  It never changes directly from E to D, there is always an A in between.

Offline SammyWI

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 09:51:38 pm »
Sorry it was D to E but same idea.  I have a screenshot but I don't see a way to attach it.  Maybe I don't have enough posts?

Edit tried and tried but I can't post links.  It happens at "Boredom over us and he began to speak".

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 10:08:26 pm »
Sorry it was D to E but same idea. 
No, it’s not the same  A song that goes from D to E in a bar would sound different from one that went from E to D. Anyway I know what you meant.

I’ve just had a look and played the song and the songbook version sounds good to me. Justin has a saying, “if it sounds good, it is good”. 😃

You need to have posted 5 times I think before you can post attachments. Stick in at the song you’ll get there with it, and stick with Justin’s course, it is first class and gets results if you are patient and put in the practice time. Good luck.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎

Offline SammyWI

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 10:14:19 pm »
Hey I got it!  Anyway the songbook has an A between these.  Any idea why?

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 10:17:39 pm »
Perhaps the app is a simplified version and misses out the quick change from D to A to E.

Offline SammyWI

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 10:22:44 pm »
Thank you.  I had no idea songs were so flexible.  One more newbie question: The songbook has an A right on "took" with the D and E just where the app shows.  Would that be a full bar of A or something shorter?  Just seems hard to fit a full bar in there.  And if it' supposed to be shorter how would I tell from the songbook?

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 10:28:35 pm »
My suggestion is to listen to the original on Spotify or YouTube or whatever. That will give you timing and rhythm. The lyric phrasing it slightly different at that part.

Offline SammyWI

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 10:32:12 pm »
Thanks very much for all the help.  For some reason this was really bothering me.  Like I was reading one or the other wrong.  Anyway, I appreciate your time.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 06:54:02 am »
I’ve looked up the website and Justin has a video lesson for the Gambler. Hope that helps.

https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/kenny-rogers-the-gambler-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-bs-106

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 08:43:26 am »
My suggestion is to listen to the original on Spotify or YouTube or whatever. That will give you timing and rhythm. The lyric phrasing it slightly different at that part.
I have a problem with this. It may help with timing and rhythm (but not always) but not necessarily what chords are bring played. My ears are not attuned enough to be able to work out what chords are being played, and I guess a lot of learners are the same. The original song normally has a lot more going on than just the guitar.

As an example of this I asked about Three Little Birds and the examples posted sounded nothing like the original, in fact the Ziggy Marley version didn't even have the same chords played as the Justin video version.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 09:11:09 am »
In terms question asked I had a quick look at the book and I am guessing it's probably wrong in the app. Unusually for Justin the book isn't showing split bars in the chorus BUT they are definitely split bars. Try playing just two strums for each chord in chorus and it'll sound a lot better. I've just done it and it sounds right.

Justin is pretty clear in his books at least that his songs may be simplified or adjusted to suit stage at which you're at in the learning process. So The Gambler in his book at least is stage 1 and in the big box to the right of chords he talks about how it's simplified and will only partly match the original. It will be the same for quite a lot of the songs in the early stages (although in fairness they still CAN sound very much like the originals). Virtually ALL recorded songs if they are completed by a band are going to have at least two and probable three guitars, being a bass part, rhythm part and probably a rhythm/lead part. Doesn't mean Justin's version can't sound roughly like the song but it's not going to be precise. Obviously if it is a solo performer the song is probably going to sound a bit closer.

Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 11:20:50 am »
I have a problem with this. It may help with timing and rhythm (but not always) but not necessarily what chords are bring played.
As an example of this I asked about Three Little Birds and the examples posted sounded nothing like the original, in fact the Ziggy Marley version didn't even have the same chords played as the Justin video version.
You’ll find that different people will play the song in different keys to perhaps suit their voice or perhaps to change the mood of the song. That will of course mean playing different chords.
You could of course use a capo and play the original chord shapes to do this.

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 12:29:34 pm »
You’ll find that different people will play the song in different keys to perhaps suit their voice or perhaps to change the mood of the song. That will of course mean playing different chords.
That again assumes that you know what chords they are playing. I can't listen to a song and say what chords are being played at the moment. I may be able to in a couple of years!!

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 06:10:59 pm »
As an add on to this I would also have to say that I don't understand about 'key'. I know that if you put a capo it makes the chords sound different but that is about it. The phase 'key' means nothing to me at this point in my guitar journey!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 07:04:56 pm »
stuartw if key means nothing to you at the moment that suggests you're early in course and therefore I wouldn't worry about it. What stage are you at at the moment? It's going off topic a little as this thread was originally about a specific song and differences between the app and song book.

If you want a look ahead for information on what key a song is in then you could take a look at the first few lessons of Justin's theory course OR just simply do a search for lesson on the web or YT.  If you're still looking for help then I'd post your challenge in a separate thread. Early in the guitar journey (and by that I mean if you've been playing only a matter of weeks or months) then it's pretty tricky to get songs that sound exactly like the recordings.... as you progress, get more knowledge, practice and experience you'll get there. I know it's frustrating but stick with it.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 09:05:48 pm »
stuartw if key means nothing to you at the moment that suggests you're early in course and therefore I wouldn't worry about it. What stage are you at at the moment? It's going off topic a little as this thread was originally about a specific song and differences between the app and song book.

If you want a look ahead for information on what key a song is in then you could take a look at the first few lessons of Justin's theory course OR just simply do a search for lesson on the web or YT.  If you're still looking for help then I'd post your challenge in a separate thread. Early in the guitar journey (and by that I mean if you've been playing only a matter of weeks or months) then it's pretty tricky to get songs that sound exactly like the recordings.... as you progress, get more knowledge, practice and experience you'll get there. I know it's frustrating but stick with it.
Apologies to the OP!!

I'm on the Beginners course, lesson 4, but don't get much time to practice to be honest. May get 2 - 3 hours a week if I'm lucky.

Offline Kage

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 07:16:34 pm »
I have the same issue but with some other songs from song book 2.
Last Kiss by Pearl jam is G, Em, C, D in the book but in the app it is C, Am, F, G.
Moves like Jagger is Em, Am in the app, but in the book it is Am, Dm (or the 7th version) although the book also says use a capo at fret 2 for this song, so I don’t know if that’s the reason for this one being different but I don’t think that would transpose the chords correctly when without the capo, but I may be wrong on that one.

Offline firstrazor

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 01:09:08 pm »
I have the same issue but with some other songs from song book 2.
Last Kiss by Pearl jam is G, Em, C, D in the book but in the app it is C, Am, F, G.
Moves like Jagger is Em, Am in the app, but in the book it is Am, Dm (or the 7th version) although the book also says use a capo at fret 2 for this song, so I don’t know if that’s the reason for this one being different but I don’t think that would transpose the chords correctly when without the capo, but I may be wrong on that one.
If you use Ultimate Guitar, you can easily transpose the songs. The songs you mentioned are all due to transposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline firstrazor

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 01:12:06 pm »
Thank you.  I had no idea songs were so flexible.  One more newbie question: The songbook has an A right on "took" with the D and E just where the app shows.  Would that be a full bar of A or something shorter?  Just seems hard to fit a full bar in there.  And if it' supposed to be shorter how would I tell from the songbook?
There can be many versions of chords and transpositions for the same song. If you go Ultimate Guitar and search for this song, you will find many variations, and the most popular version has the A if you transpose it to the same key as in the app or book.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 01:42:12 pm »
Just a word of caution about Ultimate Guitar Tabs. I’ve found many are inaccurate as pretty much anyone can upload their versions to the site. The ones with the highest star ratings are not always the best, they are often the easiest which is not necessarily the same thing.

Offline firstrazor

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 03:27:54 pm »
Just a word of caution about Ultimate Guitar Tabs. I’ve found many are inaccurate as pretty much anyone can upload their versions to the site. The ones with the highest star ratings are not always the best, they are often the easiest which is not necessarily the same thing.
Agree. Sometimes I can feel some chords do not sound right, and I will go to the comments and most likely somebody else has also pointed out the same, and some may give a good suggestion.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App