Author Topic: Bullet Hardtail versus Affinity  (Read 574 times)

Offline Robin73

• Good Vibes 0
Bullet Hardtail versus Affinity
« on: October 08, 2020, 11:12:07 pm »
I am trying to choose my first electric guitar. I love the sound of the Epiphone LPs but I'm a total beginner and they felt harder to grip and fret. The Squiers felt better. I tried a Mustang but it didn't feel as comfortable as the Strats. I did not like the sound of the regular Bullet or Affinity Strats but there was a Standard HSS strat that I liked but it felt heavier and clunky (I'm quite small) compared with Affinity.

I've now had the local store bring in two options down from warehouse or other stores (I'm in NZ and options are limited pretty limited. Aria and Vintage were the only other options really, and some Jacksons). One is an Affinity Strat HSS but it has the tremolo on it. The second option I'm curious about was this one Hardtail Bullet HSS (it's $200 cheaper than the Affinity with the Trem ($399 cf $599)).

I will wait mostly based on "feel" and sound but any thoughts? Specs on the two say the main (only one I can see actually) is that the Bullet has a Basswood body and the Affinity is Alder. Both show the same pick ups in the specs but they could be different "models" - they just say standard HB and standard SC for both. Fretboard and all else is the same except of course Trem vs Hardtail.

So yeah... what do you think?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Bullet Hardtail versus Affinity
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 11:20:45 pm »
Hi Robin and welcome to the forum.

If you are totally new I would suggest that the tremolo is not something you are going to be using any time soon.
But do'nt think that you should not consider buying a guitar with a tremolo bridge.
You do not need to have the trem arm screwed in and you can easily (with a few turns on a screwdriver of two specific screws in the back of the body) make it play like a hardtail.
For reference, in terms of Squier quality ...

Standard >>> Affinity >>> Bullet.

The Standard is a much better all round instrument on construction, components and upgrade-potential in the future. It may have felt 'clunky' as it has a full thickness Strat shape body.
If you have the budget that would be my recommendation.

Offline kingundead177

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 06:26:18 am »
Get the best one you can afford, but you can learn the basics on any one of them.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 06:38:59 am »
I would also look at the Aria and Vintage instruments, they both make decent guitars (I’ve owned a Vintage brand Strat, they are IMO better than the Bullet or Affinity).
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 06:52:56 am »
So yeah... what do you think?

My comments are *completely* biased and subjective.

First (and kinda tangential, really), given what you said, I'm surprised that you found the Mustang less comfortable than the Strat. Note that I'm not saying you're wrong -- what works for you is a personal thing. I'm just surprised. I would've expected the opposite.

Next, I wouldn't recommend a guitar with a Floyd Rose style floating trem as a first guitar. But I think a non-floating trem is fine, so I wouldn't let that stop you. That said, since you seem to have some inclination towards a non-trem guitar, I'd suggest at least trying some Telecasters. (Here's my bias...) I bought my first tele on a day that I went into a shop fully intending to by a strat. I played several strats, and then the sales guy put a tele into the mix and I totally fell for it and discovered that I'm a "tele guy." I have other electrics guitars, but teles remain my big love when it comes to electrics. You also mentioned liking the sound of Les Pauls, but not liking the neck as much. I'd suggest trying a tele with humbuckers and seeing how you get along with that. Again, purely subjective, but I tend to like rosewood fingerboards, as a general rule (and that's just me, and I have guitars I like that don't have rosewood fingerboards).

As far as Squire lines go, I agree with close2u. If it's in your budget, I'd go for the standard (or a classic vibe). To be honest, I'd avoid a Bullet, which might be unfair since I haven't played one in a very, very long time, but if it were me I'd save up a bit and move up the "Squire chain."

Also, as a last comment, and given that the guitar needs to be of playable quality, I'd say that one of the most important considerations (especially for a beginning guitarist) is that you get a guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play it. For whatever reason. The way it sounds. They way it feels. The way it looks. The brand. Maybe it's just like a guitar that someone you admire plays. Maybe you love the color of it. Maybe you love the shape. Whatever it is, if it makes you want to pick up that guitar and play, that's a good thing. Don't throw that consideration aside.

Offline Robin73

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 09:49:17 am »
Thank you so much everyone. I'm finding it such a hard decision to make but your input is really great to have. My plan now is to wait until the two I've ordered in arrive in the shop and then go with my gut on the day.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 10:24:01 am »
Thank you so much everyone. I'm finding it such a hard decision to make but your input is really great to have. My plan now is to wait until the two I've ordered in arrive in the shop and then go with my gut on the day.
You’re welcome, advice costs nothing, a potential dud buy costs money! Any questions, just ask! No questions are stupid, remember that!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Madmoggy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 05:15:34 pm »
Further to J.W.C's comment, I agree that a floyd rose tremolo isnt a great idea for a first guitar. Guess how I know :)
How much will you use the trem? Probably less than you think. I ended up taking the bar out of mine and screwing it up so there is very little movement.
I cant think of the number of times Ive set out to buy something specific (cameras or guitars) and come back with something different, as it suited me better when I played it on the day. Spend time in the shop, go back and forth between the options, play the same tracks on both, and go with what suits you best. Happy shopping.

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 07:19:23 pm »
Hi Robin,
Welcome aboard. :)

Sorry, not trying to confuse you but another option to throw in the ring is the Yamaha Pacifica (if available) - the 012 or 112...the latter a bit of a higher spec.

Just a thought but I'm sure you'll work it out but yes, as already suggested, go to the shop, have a try out & see which one rocks (& rolls!) your boat!! :)

All the best.

Cheers

Tony :)
Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Get The Forum As A Mobile App