Author Topic: Selling a Guitar, but at what price?  (Read 966 times)

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Selling a Guitar, but at what price?
« on: October 06, 2020, 09:22:50 pm »
I want to sell my guitar but don’t know how much I should sell it for. I don’t want to sell it cheaply nor do I want to rip off someone. So yea

Offline skeldol

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Selling a Guitar, but at what price?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:38:43 pm »
See how much they are selling for on Gumtree, Reverb & Ebay???

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 10:17:46 pm »
See how much they are selling for on Gumtree, Reverb & Ebay???
Ohhhh! Never thought of that!
But wait, what if the price ppl are selling it ranges from (let’s say) $400-500? Should I sell it for $450?

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 10:18:52 pm »
Advertise it for how much you’d be happy to sell it for.   If someone is happy to pay that amount then you are both happy.

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:37:14 pm »
Advertise it for how much you’d be happy to sell it for.   If someone is happy to pay that amount then you are both happy.
Alright, thanks :)

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 07:48:12 am »
I want to sell my guitar but don’t know how much I should sell it for. I don’t want to sell it cheaply nor do I want to rip off someone. So yea
Personally, I’m always surprised at the prices used gear is sold for. Sold a coffee maker on eBay for almost as much as it was available for in John Lewis after 2 years use!
As a rule when I sell stuff used in perfect condition I’m happy with half price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 09:23:36 am »
Having now been buying guitar gear for 6+ years I've now noticed that prices for used gear tend to inflate rather than decline. I've sold quite a few pedals and other things which I bought second hand or new and pretty much got the same or more in terms of asking price. Whilst inflation is generally low other factors do seem to have increased prices here in the UK.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 09:29:53 am »
Having now been buying guitar gear for 6+ years I've now noticed that prices for used gear tend to inflate rather than decline. I've sold quite a few pedals and other things which I bought second hand or new and pretty much got the same or more in terms of asking price. Whilst inflation is generally low other factors do seem to have increased prices here in the UK.
It’s this market that surprises me. Products are designed to have a certain lifecycle and when you buy used a proportion of that is gone. When you factor in obsolescence for something like pedals and not getting a manufacturer’s guarantee I don’t get the inflated prices.

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 09:31:58 am »
It’s this market that surprises me. Products are designed to have a certain lifecycle and when you buy used a proportion of that is gone. When you factor in obsolescence for something like pedals and not getting a manufacturer’s guarantee I don’t get the inflated prices.

Just recalled I did manage to get an Apogee One on eBay at a reasonable price. It didn’t last long...

Offline flyingdutchman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 09:34:46 am »
it is really a noble move not want to ripp off somebody. I live in the Netherlands and some people think it is completely fine to sell a 1-2 years old guitar higher than the original price, just because there is no visible damage on it or sell a guitar with scratches on the body 20 EUR less than the original price.

But on the other hand you should not sell a well kept guitar half price. If I sell my Ibanez S521 now (which I bought 20 months ago), I will sell it for 250-300 (the original is 350 EUR).
now I've got to look for
Sanctuary from the law

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 09:38:09 am »

As with all other posts, we really need a more meaningful set of info to answer.
What guitar?
What age?
What condition?
Where in the world?
Quick sale or maximum value?

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 09:38:23 am »
it is really a noble move not want to ripp off somebody. I live in the Netherlands and some people think it is completely fine to sell a 1-2 years old guitar higher than the original price, just because there is no visible damage on it or sell a guitar with scratches on the body 20 EUR less than the original price.

But on the other hand you should not sell a well kept guitar half price. If I sell my Ibanez S521 now (which I bought 20 months ago), I will sell it for 250-300 (the original is 350 EUR).
Yes, I tried to edit my original reply. I was thinking of items that wear out when I wrote half price. Clearly not applicable to a guitar.

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 06:28:14 pm »
As with all other posts, we really need a more meaningful set of info to answer.
What guitar?
What age?
What condition?
Where in the world?
Quick sale or maximum value?
My guitar is an American special Strat HSS. Age? I mean I’ve been having it for 7 years minimum, but it was given to me as a hand me down from my uncle when I was 13. But i just did a quick search and i guess it’s from 2011, but I’m not sure. For the condition, I’d say good but it makes a buzz when you play the 4th string. In the US. What’s quick sale and max value?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 08:15:48 pm »
What’s quick sale and max value?

Quick sale = a bargain price that you are willing to take, and accept that it is a low selling price, to generate a lot of immediate interest and secure a sale quickly.

Max value = you know the value, consider yours worth every last cent of the value and are willing to hold off selling to anyone, no matter how long it takes, until you find a buyer willing to pay your top price.

Go on ebay - search for Fender Special HSS then check the advanced search option and look down - you should see and check a little box for either completed items or sold items. This will give you results from (iirc) the last 90 days.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 06:22:52 am »
My guitar is an American special Strat HSS. Age? I just did a quick search and i guess it’s from 2011, but I’m not sure.
If you look on this website you will find that with the serial number of the guitar you can find out when it was made.
https://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 06:19:40 pm »
I think I'd get the buzz fixed and keep it
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App