Author Topic: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course  (Read 219 times)

Offline willsie01

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course
« on: October 06, 2020, 05:05:56 pm »
Even though all our children are grown up we still have a piano in the house so it seems such a shame not to use it! I did have a few lessons as a kid. Not very advanced. Didn't reach any grade standard.
I've seen mention of Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course in other posts but on looking it up it is intended for use under the guidance of a tutor. Are there self learning methods?

N.B. There are old threads on lessons but they're pretty old as far as I can see so I've started a new thread rather then tag on to them. Hope that's not too stupid a move.

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
Re: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 05:20:31 pm »
I always support people learning how to play the piano. It expends the musicianship a lot.

If you are talking about the Alfred's piano book for adults, this guy did a video for each page of the book(s) (from the top of my head I am not 100% sure how many books there is, might be only one).

I think he also has some other method books done the same way on his channel. So worth checking him out. But cannot really comment on the quality of any of the books because I haven't used any of them.

If you or your children still have any of the books they used in the music school, it might also be useful to follow. If you want to play more than chords in left hand and melody line in the right hand, I am actually a big fan of "sort-of-following" the classical piano approach but using some of the concepts Justin uses for guitar (including ear training is a good example).

Before I go into a long useless essay, I will let others who actually used any of the method books to give proper advice.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
Re: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 05:23:13 pm »
My eldest daughter has been teaching herself piano using Alfred's Adult All-In-One course. I believe she's either almost finished with the "Level 2" book, or maybe is into the "Level 3" book, now. So while I'd say a tutor or teacher is pretty much always a good idea, one isn't strictly necessary. From what I've seen of the course books, they're pretty good.

To be fair, I should note that piano is my daughter's second instrument (after viola), so she wasn't coming to the Alfred course without any musical background (but neither would you, since you already play guitar). And she's asked me for some feedback or clarification on things, a few times (piano was my first instrument).

Get The Forum As A Mobile App