Author Topic: Guitar Buying Guide  (Read 1289 times)

Offline TheyCallMeTony

• Good Vibes 0
Guitar Buying Guide
« on: October 05, 2020, 10:52:25 pm »
What do I look for when buying a guitar?
Some examples: Scale length? Neck Shape? Fingerboard wood?* Etc.

*Some people say that wood doesn’t really affect the tone of an electric guitar. So what affects the tone?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Guitar Buying Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 11:07:12 pm »
Tony, I don't understand where you are coming from today.
you make a post in Effects saying you have a pedal board but want to build a new one so ask advice for the best of a range of pedals.
You then start a thread asking about two Strats that you didn't initially name that you were considering buying with a near $1000 price differential.
Now you ask some of the most basic newby beginner questions about buying a guitar as though you do not even have one?

I am perplexed.

Offline TheyCallMeTony

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 11:17:13 pm »
Tony, I don't understand where you are coming from today.
you make a post in Effects saying you have a pedal board but want to build a new one so ask advice for the best of a range of pedals.
You then start a thread asking about two Strats that you didn't initially name that you were considering buying with a near $1000 price differential.
Now you ask some of the most basic newby beginner questions about buying a guitar as though you do not even have one?

I am perplexed.

Yea I have a pedalboard but want to get a new one just for the fun of it.

It wasn’t two strats, it was two groups of strats (if that makes any sense) one group being in parallel wiring and the other in series. So I chose the parallel group.
Now I’m trynna narrow it down to one guitar, so that’s why I’m asking that question.

And yes I have a guitar, but I really don’t have that much “guitar knowledge”.
Just yesterday I learned what a scale length was lol.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 11:33:24 pm »
It wasn’t two strats, it was two groups of strats (if that makes any sense) one group being in parallel wiring and the other in series. So I chose the parallel group.
Now I’m trynna narrow it down to one guitar, so that’s why I’m asking that question.

You haven't asked that question however.
You asked totally different questions.
I spent a lot of time researching and google searching and finding the Guitar Centre adverts you mentioned but didn't link.
They were for two specific guitars - not types.

So you want a Strat (or strat type). If so they all ahve the same scale length. 25.5 inches.
They are available with some variance in neck shape but that will be all theoretical unless you hold one in your hands.
They come with either rosewood or maple fretboards.
Some people swear down that they can hear the difference. Others just happily play whichever they have in their hands. Some like the look of one over the other.
It won't make much difference in your position.
You cannot go wrong with a Strat if that is what you want and that is what you have already tried, held and decided upon.
Beyond that you must think what your budget is.
$650 or £1500?
Both will get a good guitar. The bigger budget may not get two to three times as much of what you want / need.
How much are you willing to pay? Maximum.

Offline TheyCallMeTony

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 11:45:13 pm »
They were for two specific guitars - not types.

So you want a Strat (or strat type). If so they all ahve the same scale length. 25.5 inches.
They are available with some variance in neck shape but that will be all theoretical unless you hold one in your hands.
They come with either rosewood or maple fretboards.
Some people swear down that they can hear the difference. Others just happily play whichever they have in their hands. Some like the look of one over the other.
It won't make much difference in your position.
You cannot go wrong with a Strat if that is what you want and that is what you have already tried, held and decided upon.
Beyond that you must think what your budget is.
$650 or £1500?
Both will get a good guitar. The bigger budget may not get two to three times as much of what you want / need.
How much are you willing to pay? Maximum.

I forgot his name but he asked me to list the guitars and I told him, it wasn’t just 2 guitars. It was 3 guitars (according to Guitar Center) that were parallel. And 3-4 others that were series.
But another guy told me to check out the fender site, instead.
And so I asked Fender which were actually in series and they told me only 2 of them were. So now I’m left with 5 guitars to choose from lol.

And I have no budget, I just want a good guitar no matter the cost lol.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 11:57:17 pm »
You did ask for your other thread to be deleted so I did that. Now the info is gone forever.

And now you mention that you are choosing between five guitars.
That is where you're at but you haven't mentioned it until now.

Which five guitars exactly.
Name them.
Provide links please.

Offline TheyCallMeTony

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 12:06:24 am »
You did ask for your other thread to be deleted so I did that. Now the info is gone forever.

And now you mention that you are choosing between five guitars.
That is where you're at but you haven't mentioned it until now.

Which five guitars exactly.
Name them.
Provide links please.

Yea i wanted it to be deleted because my question was answered, and I didn’t want people to waste their time replying to that post.

And I didn’t put the name of the 5 guitars in the original post, it was sent as a reply to the guy who asked for it in that post. (If that makes sense)

Links? I tried sending the guy links to the guitars but the site didn’t let me :/

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 191
    • My Road Case
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 12:09:22 am »
Hi Tony,

My personal view is you seem to be being too prescriptive about your choices or, at least, how you are presenting them here.

There is no such thing as "the best", there is only "the best for you at the current time" and we can't advise on that without a lot more information.

And these things really cannot be decided by the sort of characteristics you are asking about.

Guitars are a holistic thing that cannot really be deconstructed into their component parts. The wiring, for instance, will matter a whole lot less than the nature of the pickups, but the pickups alone are not what defines a guitar.

Another example: fretboard wood, personally I prefer rosewood over maple for reasons entirely unrelated to "tone". That is an entirely personal opinion which will be different from others with no right or wrong.

Rather than looking at specs (especially ones which make very little difference) you should be looking for the guitar that appeals to you.

And, as for budget, almost everyone has a budget. If you are truly rich enough to not care what the cost is, then you need to state your motivations if you want our help.

Asking about series versus parallel wiring is a bit like asking for advice buying a new motor vehicle based on the size of the tyres without considering any other aspect.

If you aren't that rich then you need to give some idea of budget.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 08:35:29 pm by Majik »

Offline TheyCallMeTony

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 12:13:25 am »
Hi Tony,

My personal view is you seem to be being too prescriptive about your choices or, at least, how you are presenting them here.

There is no such thing as "the best", there is only "the best for you at the current time" and we can't advise on tha without a lot more informationt.

And these things really cannot be decided by the sort of characteristics you are asking about.

Guitars are a holistic thing that cannot really be deconstructed into their component parts. The wiring, for instance, will matter a whole lot less than the nature of the pickups, but the pickups alone are not what defines a guitar.

Another example: fretboard wood, personally I prefer rosewood over maple for reasons entirely unrelated to "tone". That is an entirely personal opinion which will be different from others with no right or wrong.

Rather than looking at specs (especially ones which make very little difference) you should be looking for the guitar that appeals to you.

And, as for budget, almost everyone has a budget. If you are truly rich enough to not care what the cost is, then you need to state your motivations if you want our help.

Asking about series versus parallel wiring is a bit like asking for advice buying a new motor vehicle based on the size of the tyres without considering any other aspect.

If you aren't that rich then you need to give some idea of budget.

Cheers,

Keith

I seriously don’t have a budget. I’m not rich, I’ll work for something that I really want. I think that goes for anyone, don’t ya think? If you want something you’ll do what you can to get it. Idk that’s just me

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 191
    • My Road Case
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 12:17:17 am »
Maybe you should look at a PRS Dragon then.

Apparently they are amazing.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TheyCallMeTony

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 12:20:36 am »

Cheers,

Keith

just checked them out and seems like they’re a HH guitar. But I’m planning on getting an HSS. But they do look nice👍🏽

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 12:36:27 am »
Well, if I was looking to buy a nice HSS guitar without going into custom shop territory, one of my first options would be this:

Fender American Ultra Strat

I like Fenders, tend to prefer rosewood fingerboards, so this one checks off quite a few boxes for me, personally: option for rosewood, locking tuners, S1 switch, compound radius modern D neck, comes with a nice case, etc.  Whether those things light your fire is another matter, of course.

Offline TheyCallMeTony

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 12:49:06 am »
Well, if I was looking to buy a nice HSS guitar without going into custom shop territory, one of my first options would be this:

Fender American Ultra Strat

I like Fenders, tend to prefer rosewood fingerboards, so this one checks off quite a few boxes for me, personally: option for rosewood, locking tuners, S1 switch, compound radius modern D neck, comes with a nice case, etc.  Whether those things light your fire is another matter, of course.

Yes! I like that one too, it’s one of the five guitars I’m looking at, actually lol. But it’s the neck profile that im unsure about. A modern D profile, I’ve never tried it. For Fender guitars, I’ve used those with a Modern C profile.
Have you tried a Modern D guitar? How does it feel?

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 01:06:42 am »
I think the modern D shape is fairly new. I don't own a guitar with a modern D neck (I do, however, have guitars with modern C necks, and modern C with compound radius). That said, I did play one for a bit in a shop. To me, it felt a bit flatter than what I'm used to, but with more roll on the edges. Keep in mind that was just an initial impression from a few minutes of playing. I didn't do a formal comparison/contrast. In any case, it felt good, to me. Not so much that I felt compelled to rush out and get a guitar with a modern D neck, but still good/fine.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 04:55:13 am »
I’m going to confuse you more, if you’re not bothered by the price then you should look at these:
https://www.suhr.com/instruments/classic-s/
You can get exactly what you want and it will be better than any of the commercially available instruments, Suhr guitars are fabulous and well worth what they cost - ask Mark Knopfler, he’s got a couple of them!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 04:50:27 pm »

*Some people say that wood doesn’t really affect the tone of an electric guitar. So what affects the tone?
You are way over thinking things, and asking questions that do not make you a better guitar player. What kind of music do you like? It can be played with a standard telecaster with single coil pickups. Your next guitar after that should be something completely different. Since you already have a guitar, play and record something and get it posted up on the forum. Stop contemplating your navel and start playing some music. Go on, git! 

Offline SillySock7

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 27
    • My Road Case
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 08:01:04 pm »
Hey Tony welcome to the forum.

You're asking something extremely subjective here I'm afraid no one is going to be able to help you with. Things like scale length, neck profile, nut width, fingerboard radius and materials are all down to personal preference and cannot be objectively ranked. I'd suggest not spending lots of money on a guitar until you actually know what you like. It's like asking us which flavor of ice cream is best.
Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 08:24:32 pm »

Vibes Keith. :)

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 191
    • My Road Case
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 08:32:48 pm »
It's like asking us which flavor of ice cream is best.

Definitely pistachio!

Cheers,

Keith

Offline SillySock7

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 27
    • My Road Case
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2020, 10:46:23 pm »
Definitely pistachio!

Cheers,

Keith
That is an odd way of spelling mint chocolate chip
Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Offline RareMysterio

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 03:55:09 am »

I suggest you go to your local guitar store and try the guitars !

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 07:56:15 am »
I see that you have not introduced yourself to the community, for all we know you could be a 12 year old kid on an ego trip!!! Your line of questions do suggest that this could possibly be the case. The questions you’re asking are not what a guitarist with some experience would ask - please clarify your situation by properly introducing yourself, you’re trying the patience of respected community members!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline TheyCallMeTony

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 03:45:08 am »
I see that you have not introduced yourself to the community, for all we know you could be a 12 year old kid on an ego trip!!! Your line of questions do suggest that this could possibly be the case. The questions you’re asking are not what a guitarist with some experience would ask - please clarify your situation by properly introducing yourself, you’re trying the patience of respected community members!
So yall mad because I don’t know much about guitar but want to buy a good one no matter the cost, because I’ll work for it.
This community is goofy.
And I took your advice Darel about the Suhr guitars, just bought an Olympic White Classic S.
Last time I get on here, peace.

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 191
    • My Road Case
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 11:28:50 am »
That was fast work!

That's a dream guitar and out of reach for many of us, yet alone a relative beginner. Enjoy.

And come back and post photos when it arrives.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2020, 04:10:02 pm »
So yall mad because I don’t know much about guitar but want to buy a good one no matter the cost, because I’ll work for it.
This community is goofy.
And I took your advice Darel about the Suhr guitars, just bought an Olympic White Classic S.
Last time I get on here, peace.
Looks like I hit a raw note! Just the sort of reply I expected 😂

Get The Forum As A Mobile App