Author Topic: Sample Dis!  (Read 356 times)

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
Sample Dis!
« on: October 05, 2020, 08:57:40 pm »
A couple of remarks expressing ambiguity about musicians sampling other artists music for their own work reminded me of a radio programme I once put together on this topic.
(Check out David P's 'live session' & comments here https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=47918.0)
I believe if you sample stuff, you should credit the original and are morally obliged to share any profits you might earn, even if not legally required to do so. That's not what this thread is about.

There are a number of songs I have come across, where the sample is used creatively, resulting in an 'even better' song than the sampled one.
I'd be interested to hear any other members' favourite sample examples  :)

I'll kick it off with a couple;

used in

and

used in

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
Re: Sample Dis!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 10:08:05 pm »
I like this.  It's a good solid argument.   I'm just feeling sorry for the guitar player who might right the instantly recognizable riff but not the song and for one of those artists who doesn't share the royalties which I believe is or was their prerogative being the song writer.   I think you're right, they make great songs definitely.  Like I said in the other thread 'number 1' chart topping hits.  The Hoods are my one and only loved hip hop band!     And for the record I also love Puff Daddys Every Breath you take.  8)

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 11:56:18 am »
A classic sample has to be Madonna sampling ABBA. It’s a great pop tune though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwb9jOVRtU&feature=share
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 05:18:35 pm »
This is almost certainly going to be a topic that invites some strong opinions.

So I have sampled the samples of songs that make use of samples ... or in some cases more like just rearrange/remix the original, in part or entirety, to greater or lessor extent.

As to whether they are better than the originals ... my 2cs worth on the examples shared is that I'd opt for the originals in all 4 cases presented (even though I would not especially want to listen to the two originals you shared again, Brian).  But then hip-hop, rap, and club are not my favourites, so my preference counts for little.

I suppose I am at risk of being a bit of a fuddy-duddy living in the past, resisting innovation, etc ... though I can't say "just like my parents" since under the influence of their children they were quite happy to sit back and enjoy Night At the Opera, Made In Japan, and many others that came well after the era and genre they grew up on.

I guess I am still too strongly oriented to wanting music to be played on instruments live for an audience. No I'm not suggesting there is no place for recordings and I like studio recorded albums but probably tend to gravitate towards music that can be performed live afterwards.

And you may also call me a bit of a kettle as I take these pot shots, in that I am quick to use sampled instruments to arrange and produce the odd song or two, but I see using digital instruments as a matter of convenience.  And in my case, enables me to be creative beyond my ability to play an instrument.  Suppose I could call myself a "composer" though of course the real deal composer can generally play many of the instruments.

Does it require creativity and ability to sample, remix etc and then rap your poetry over the sample, indeed so.  But for me it just pushes the boundaries of the art form to places where I don't enjoy.

Live and let live, each to their own  ;D

Oh yes, and I meant to say that from here we could go on into the topic of copying songs.  Watched a YT the other day that compared a bunch of Deep Purple songs to songs that came before ...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 05:45:24 pm »
I used to quite enjoy sampling and playing variations on the original theme; a classic one that I once used was Greensleeves, I used the classical theme and added a Metal variation and a Bluesy variation and finally a jazzy variation, it was amazing fun to do!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 05:49:50 pm »
Two songs that spring to my mind when I think of samples pulled from other songs are Tone Loc's Wild Thing and Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby.

Wild Thing sampled part of Van Halen's Jamie's Crying. Ice Ice Baby sampled part of Queen and David Bowie's Under Pressure. If I recall correctly, neither song used the respective samples with permission or credit, resulting in legal actions, post-release credit being added after the fact, and monetary settlements down the line.

I'm not a fan of most rap or hip-hop, so like David I almost always tend to prefer the original songs over the songs that used the samples.

I'm not opposed to musicians using samples from other songs as long as proper credit is given. I get that there's an element of creativity and artistry involved, and that it's an accepted practice, especially in some genres. It's not something I'm interested in doing, but I don't object to anyone exploring that realm (again, with the assumption that any credit due is provided).

Also as David mentioned, I'm not at all opposed to sampled/digital instruments. I play a digital piano, for example, which uses samples of a real piano to generate the sound when you play it. And I own a digital modeling amp, which again is using samples (of one sort or another) to create the digital models of the amp and cabinet. And I use MIDI instruments (e.g., bass and drums) in recordings I make, which are again, created from samples of real instruments.

I do, however, draw a distinction between something like a sampled instrument and a clip or loop of another musician's sampled performance.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 08:52:25 am »
Cheers for all those thoughts and examples.
It often takes a while for the penny to drop with me and it's only recently that I noticed it was mainly hip hop/rap that makes use of this.
I guess I was more interested in hearing of your favourite (or weird) sampled songs  :)
@ David, I'll leave the 'copying' thread to you as long as you don't give me a hard time for nicking all my tunes from songs I like.
@ JWC, I hadn't come across Tone Loc's Wild thing, but it sounded exactly like 'Funky Cold Medina', which I googled and turns out it's the same guy...

First sample and rap that I ever heard was of course the by the Sugar Hill Gang's Rapper's Delight, which uses Chic's funky bass line from Good Times.

A slightly more off-the-wall song I like is They Might Be Giants 'Boat of Car', with Johnny Cash singing 'Daddy'll sing bass'

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 09:43:49 am »
@ David, I'll leave the 'copying' thread to you as long as you don't give me a hard time for nicking all my tunes from songs I like.

LOL, I think I'll let that one slide, Brian.

And Justin would applaud you nicking music from songs you like.  It is one of his top tips to help folk begin with song-writing...re-write and sing lyrics of your favourite songs.

And at least your way you don't get what I deliver, songs with lots of single note "melodies". But given my singing if I can get close to a single note maybe that is better than trying to move the melody around and being horribly off pitch  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App