Author Topic: Alex6strings - Road Case  (Read 732 times)

Online Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
Alex6strings - Road Case
« on: October 05, 2020, 02:28:14 am »
I don't have much gear or that many photos from my past but I do have a story and I figure I'll dig up some pics etc along the way and maybe do a video or two playing some of the songs that shaped my playing when I was young...
In the beginning....
My guitar journey started out a long time ago so we have to go back somewhere around 39 years ago I guess.  I'm currently 47.  This is how I remember it.  Mrs B, my 3rd grade teacher comes to class one day with a guitar case.   I was too busy picking my nose and pulling girls hair to notice but I remember thinking Mrs Buckley must play the piano.   Anyway that day she breaks out an acoustic guitar and sings some songs to the class.  I was pretty darn impressed with Mrs B and being the music loving 8 year old i was. (Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley were my favorites at this age but I had seen Tommy Emmanuel playing on a Saturday night TV show which awe struck me)  I said to Mrs B, I want to play guitar.   She said well if you want I can give you a book and you can take one of the schools guitars home tonight and practice then see if you want to continue to learn (standard nylon string school guitar, I picked the big one cause little one looked like a toy)   She said as long as you bring it back to school tomorrow, 'yeah yeah whatever Miss' I said.
So when I graduated year 6 from what we call Primary School at 11 or 12 years old I handed that guitar back in, but for over 3 years it lived with me in my bedroom and I played it every day. (after chopping wood, feeding chickens, feeding and rugging horses etc etc. ) So by the time I started high school I could really play guitar.  High school to me was about playing basketball and playing guitar.  I lived in the music room.  My music teacher was a guitar player and played in a local band so I learned heaps from him.  Although I didn't have guitar lessons at all and still never have, I did have drum lessons and because we lived on a large property I hosted our 'school' bands practice sessions so I acquired a drum kit and started really getting into the drums a lot.  It was a recession in Australia and I was given nothing by my parents and still didn't own a guitar.  The drum kit I acquired was a loaner.   And I paid for lessons working at the local supermarket on Saturday mornings carrying groceries. I still love to play drums.  My parents still don't like me. lol.
Somewhere during my first year of highschool word gets around my huge family that i'm a musical kid and i play guitar but haven't got one.   My oldest step sister who was probably 25 years old turns up at our property one day, she was carrying a 'George Washburn' guitar case.  I'm on the verandah and I yell out 'hey Sheree show me your guitar'   She says, 'it's not mine'   I was disappointed and thought, i'm not even gonna get to see it.  Sheree was pretty cool, hippie type, cool musical friends...... as she got to the steps I said, 'Who's is it?'   she said, 'Yours'    I couldn't believe it.  I had this massive big ole washburn dreadnaught with 100 year old strings on it that actually did make my fingers bleed several times.   I was still a little foreign to the subtitles of the guitar care such as 'changing strings' I'd used my previous schools nylon string for 3 years with the same 5 strings, yeah 5.   I loved this guitar so much, and I still love my oldest step sister for what she did.  I saw her the other day.   This guitar made me sound like the radio, not a kid at school playing a school guitar.   I was off...
Over the next 4 years of high school I became much better at playing the guitar, electric guitar in particular.  I became quite a decent drummer for my age.  I played in and ran the school band for a few years.  I played for many older students High School Certificate exams.  I also learned some mandolin, banjo, bass and a little piano but they were all just as part of doing music at school, the guitar though I was getting quite handy at. .to be continued........
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Alex6strings - Road Case
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 05:34:08 am »
You weave a great yarn, Alex, thanks for sharing it.

Looking forward to hearing it unfold further plus some pics and even some clips.

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 07:23:43 am »
That's a great background story Alex, and I look forward to reading the continuing story.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 08:33:32 am »
That’s an interesting way to start Alex, I think that you had the desire and dedication very early on which really makes the difference. The interest in other instruments also helps, especially drums - I think that all guitarists should do some drumming as part of learning, it helps with keeping time, with body part independence and confidence to lead. It’s been a part that I am lacking but who knows I might just get some digital ones and have a go!

Offline SS7

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 12:33:18 pm »
Oh wow such an interesting read, can't wait for the next chapter! No wonder you're so damned good, you've been playing for longer than I have been alive!

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 12:34:21 pm »
The interest in other instruments also helps, especially drums - I think that all guitarists should do some drumming as part of learning, it helps with keeping time, with body part independence and confidence to lead. It’s been a part that I am lacking but who knows I might just get some digital ones and have a go!

I strongly agree with that. Rhythm and timing are super, super important, and even just learning the basics on drums is helpful. I'm not a "real drummer," but I do have a practice pad and a digital drum kit (Yamaha DTX400 kit) that I used to learn some of the basics. If you're at all interested in drums, I'd say go for it! I think it can only help your timing, and that translates directly to other instruments like guitar.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 02:07:39 pm »
A great read Alex. Looking forward to the next chapter!
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Online Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 07:24:55 pm »
Wow thanks everyone.  I wasn't sure how my story would be received, thank you.   Warning, the story does take some wrong turns and it does get a little bumpy so there's that to think about if you keep reading.   :o  Not right now, but it starts to spice up next post.
It's funny when you sit down and work it out.  I don't remember too much before the guitar but for some reason always thought I was 10 or 12 when I started to play.  But working it out year 3 at school here is 8 or 9 so that's when I changed schools and had Mrs B.   I honestly never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be a middle aged man still in love with this instrument and still picking away each day.   I never really tried to learn guitar, I tried not to learn several times, but to learn guitar just makes sense, when i stop it feels wrong.   When I become 'detached' from the guitar I suffer.   
I never want to stop learning and although learning looks differently to me now that it ever has, it's still learning.   I learn more about feel and dynamics and emotion and connection with my playing every day.    I'm certainly not what i would call a theory buff but I know guitar theory kinda well I suppose.   By that i mean I know how to construct chords over the fretboard, obviously i know each note and can see all the pentatonic maj/min and all their patterns and positions. Same with major/minor scales and modes.  The caged system is the one thing that really opened up my knowledge and playing I guess.  This is what I call guitar theory.  Music theory I have a 4th year highschool level knowledge.. not much.
If feels like yesterday but wow it's been a while.... next chapter post in a few days. I know there are pictures in existence with one of my parents or step parents of me on stage at school both drumming and guitar playing.. I'm on it. Thanks again. 
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 11:08:53 pm »
Great story Alex, looking forward to the next instalment.
BC (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Telecaster, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster DR, Joyo JTA-05

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 02:52:05 am »
Love your story Alex, thanks for the telling. 
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App