Author Topic: Songs from the Playroom (not the Wood) - episode 3  (Read 3921 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Songs from the Playroom (not the Wood) - episode 3
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 08:29:54 am »
I don’t live stream. But I’m doing all my recording etc. on the iPad because that’s what I have and it’s convenient. It’s quite capable but I’m sure a decent laptop would give greater processing power and more options.

Are you using GarageBand on the iPad, Rod? And I assume you use an Audio Interface to feed signal from your mics into the iPad.

Depending on the generation of iPad, you may find your iPad is as powerful from a processor/memory spec as my PC  :o

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 08:52:52 am »
Are you using GarageBand on the iPad, Rod? And I assume you use an Audio Interface to feed signal from your mics into the iPad.

Depending on the generation of iPad, you may find your iPad is as powerful from a processor/memory spec as my PC  :o

It’s an iPad generation 6.
I used GarageBand for the first few recordings but as it only does 44.1kHz sampling which doesn’t play nice with syncing with video  I’m now using Multitrack DAW app which will do 48kHz.
It’s a pretty simple app but seems pretty bullet proof and meets all my needs at the moment.

Audio interface is a Presonus audiobox iTwo.

I’m using iMovie on iPad to put the video and audio together.
BC (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Telecaster, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster DR, Joyo JTA-05

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2020, 09:05:05 am »
From the Queen film and other reading, I understand that at a point they opted to share royalties equally, irrespective of who contributed what to a song.
Bands can choose how they want to share credits/royalties. I think REM decided to share equally from the beginning, I'm sure many others do too.
Not Queen according to Wikipedia:
When it came down to releasing the album's first single, Taylor was so fond of his song (I'm in love with my car) that he urged Freddie Mercury (author of the first single, "Bohemian Rhapsody") to allow it to be the B-side and locked himself in a cupboard until Mercury agreed.[6] This decision would later become the cause of much internal friction in the band, in that while it was only the B-side, it generated an equal amount of publishing royalties for Taylor as the main single did for Mercury simply because it was the B-side to "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2020, 09:11:53 am »
It’s an iPad generation 6.
I used GarageBand for the first few recordings but as it only does 44.1kHz sampling which doesn’t play nice with syncing with video  I’m now using Multitrack DAW app which will do 48kHz.
It’s a pretty simple app but seems pretty bullet proof and meets all my needs at the moment.

Audio interface is a Presonus audiobox iTwo.

I’m using iMovie on iPad to put the video and audio together.

Sounds great, Rod. You are rocking along.  I'm looking forward to your next recording  8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2020, 09:14:35 am »
Bands can choose how they want to share credits/royalties. I think REM decided to share equally from the beginning, I'm sure many others do too.
Not Queen according to Wikipedia:
When it came down to releasing the album's first single, Taylor was so fond of his song (I'm in love with my car) that he urged Freddie Mercury (author of the first single, "Bohemian Rhapsody") to allow it to be the B-side and locked himself in a cupboard until Mercury agreed.[6] This decision would later become the cause of much internal friction in the band, in that while it was only the B-side, it generated an equal amount of publishing royalties for Taylor as the main single did for Mercury simply because it was the B-side to "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Yup, picked up on all the friction within Queen.  And if the books I've read and the Bohemian Rhapsody film are to be believed, there was a moment later in their career, when they decided to remove the friction and share equally.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2020, 09:58:40 am »
Bands can choose how they want to share credits/royalties.
I’ve always wondered how much money Ringo Starr made. He seems to have done ok!

David. I think you should re-post your set in AVOYP.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2020, 10:24:16 am »
I can esily migrate David's three 'Songs from the playroom' threads to avoyp if wanted.

:)

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2020, 11:16:45 am »
Sounds great, Rod. You are rocking along.  I'm looking forward to your next recording  8)

Thanks David,

I’m really appreciating that people here actually listen and provide great feedback. I think I’m learning a lot.

Rod.
BC (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Telecaster, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster DR, Joyo JTA-05

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 183
    • YouTube
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2020, 05:00:15 pm »
Thought I'd respond separately on this point ...

And

I think you both make excellent points.

If I was to allow my word-choice obsession to come out, I reckon an even more accurate title would be "First Take Friday" (yeah, I changed the day of the week to get that alliteration, but don't think the day of the week is important).

And without any doubt, committing to share the first take come what may adds some pressure/stress.  And learning to master that stress and not fall apart is invaluable, irrespective as to whether you ever want to perform live, be it on a stage or a live stream.

But I wouldn't use words like "guilty" and "poser" if what is being shared is the best take of a number of one-takes.  While the stress is less because you can always start again and pick the best, there is still lots to be said for being able to play through a song or an improvisation, from start to finish.

I also think there is a lot of merit in improving your play through trying to produce an authentic, full band, cover song. Lots to learn through doing that, especially if your aspiration is to play in a live cover band or produce full band original songs.
Please disregard my earlier comment, I was being overly cranky at that moment. People should play and do whatever makes them happy. Anybody trying to express themselves with music is alright in my book. Just let 'er rip!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 05:25:40 pm »
Please disregard my earlier comment, I was being overly cranky at that moment. People should play and do whatever makes them happy. Anybody trying to express themselves with music is alright in my book. Just let 'er rip!

Bravo. Hear Hear.

If Alex will be remembered for coining the phrase "1 Take Wed"

Then you are known and loved for a hearty "let 'er rip"

And it is  just wonderful to learn to play and make some music.

As Tommy Emmanuel said in a video Alex shared elsewhere ... "the world needs more guitars and less guns"

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2020, 01:57:51 am »
This was great David. You’re making great progress and thanks for sharing. And some Beatles too! Can’t wait to see you out live again...someday, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently studying Intermediate Foundation 2

Fender Telecaster, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Martin 000-X2E, Fender Blues Junior IV

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2020, 06:02:43 am »
This was great David. You’re making great progress and thanks for sharing. And some Beatles too! Can’t wait to see you out live again...someday, right?

Thanks very much, Tosh, glad you enjoyed it.

For sure, the day will come when the Music Club starts to operate again and I feel safe in attending.

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2020, 04:07:54 pm »
Very nice indeed David! It looks like you have improved in your playing tremendously!! I love how you are taking inspiration from others here as well as I. Your fingerpicking and flat picking were spot on!! I even heard the muting you were talking about in my post! Great job!!! :) Rock on!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2020, 04:32:49 pm »
Very nice indeed David! It looks like you have improved in your playing tremendously!! I love how you are taking inspiration from others here as well as I. Your fingerpicking and flat picking were spot on!! I even heard the muting you were talking about in my post! Great job!!! :) Rock on!

Thanks for popping over and taking a look, Bytron, appreciate the encouragement.

Glad you heard the muting ... totally inspired by watching your recordings.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2020, 07:14:06 pm »
David, well done again you are quite a master at putting these together. I’m not sure I could ever do the talking between songs and yet it really pulls it together into a complete performance. Really enjoyed the songs and good to see you pushing yourself on some difficult ones. Eleanor Rigby is pretty tough I reckon but I think it was a good effort... as per BL suggestion I’d practice the vocal as much as possible against the original. Really liked the intro to Wonderful Tonight and was hoping you’d stick at it for the whole song. I wonder whether you’d find it easier to finger pick it? Looking forward to the performance when you’ve cracked this. Personally enjoyed Live is all around the most.. thought both playing and vocally you’d got this one cracked and sounding really good.

Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2020, 06:34:45 am »
David, well done again you are quite a master at putting these together. I’m not sure I could ever do the talking between songs and yet it really pulls it together into a complete performance. Really enjoyed the songs and good to see you pushing yourself on some difficult ones. Eleanor Rigby is pretty tough I reckon but I think it was a good effort... as per BL suggestion I’d practice the vocal as much as possible against the original. Really liked the intro to Wonderful Tonight and was hoping you’d stick at it for the whole song. I wonder whether you’d find it easier to finger pick it? Looking forward to the performance when you’ve cracked this. Personally enjoyed Live is all around the most.. thought both playing and vocally you’d got this one cracked and sounding really good.

Thanks for stopping by, Jason, appreciate your thoughts and encouragement.

You are right that I'd benefit from putting more work into practicing the singing with the original. I actually tried playing along with ER and couldn't manage that but should at least sing along. And I guess LIAA shows what can be achieved if more effort is invested in working on the song.

As for playing WT either picked finger-style or finger-style, need to get a whole lot more comfortable playing the song and the pattern before I can begin trying to play and sing it that way.  But I will keep at it and achieve that one fine day. It is a wonderful song 

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2020, 03:44:37 pm »
I think this talk about our approaches to recording, using the DAW etc is a good one in its own right, and happy if it happens to happen here.

On a related note, I thought Justin's recent video on recording yourself was quite good. He touched on a lot of things we've discussed in various places on the forums, recently.

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2020, 06:48:55 pm »
That was an enjoyable watch & listen David. Great song choices & very well played. You look very relaxed & comfortable talking to us, I can imagine you up in front of an audience chatting away & it looks so natural.

I some how missed the first 2 episodes, so I'll have to go & check those out. :)

You too take care & keep safe. These sessions really brighten up this very difficult period the world is going through.

Big thumbs up. :)

Cheers

Tony :)
Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2020, 06:10:10 am »
That was an enjoyable watch & listen David. Great song choices & very well played. You look very relaxed & comfortable talking to us, I can imagine you up in front of an audience chatting away & it looks so natural.

I some how missed the first 2 episodes, so I'll have to go & check those out. :)

You too take care & keep safe. These sessions really brighten up this very difficult period the world is going through.

Big thumbs up. :)

Cheers

Tony :)

Thanks for stopping by, Tony.  Glad you enjoyed it and appreciate the encouraging comments.

Easy to miss things posted over in this section of the Audio-Video Area.  Just like the various Guitar Challenges areas, where for example Rod posted up a rendition of Wonderful Tonight.

I never miss anything using this URL that Richard shared: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0  ;D

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 209
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2020, 07:53:05 am »
David, I’ve resisted making any comments until now - it’s all been said, you’ve gone from strength to strength, your playing and recording is really great, the only thing that I can be critical about is your singing which I know that you are aware of yourself. If I were in your position I would be seriously considering having singing lessons from a reputable teacher one to one, the techniques that are taught really make the difference. My wife had lessons and it really transformed her singing from OK to very good; the results speak for themselves! In real terms it depends what you want from your hobby!

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2020, 08:56:43 am »
I never miss anything using this URL that Richard shared: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0
Hi David. Does this get you a different result from the ‘unread posts’ button?
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 670
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2020, 09:21:56 am »
Hi David. Does this get you a different result from the ‘unread posts’ button?

Yes - for some reason 'unread' misses some out.

My default saved browser setting to visit the forum is the one David has linked - it ensures I always see all unread posts every time I visit.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2020, 01:44:18 pm »
David, I’ve resisted making any comments until now - it’s all been said, you’ve gone from strength to strength, your playing and recording is really great, the only thing that I can be critical about is your singing which I know that you are aware of yourself. If I were in your position I would be seriously considering having singing lessons from a reputable teacher one to one, the techniques that are taught really make the difference. My wife had lessons and it really transformed her singing from OK to very good; the results speak for themselves! In real terms it depends what you want from your hobby!

Thanks so much, Darrell, appreciate your encouragement and support.

Totally agree with the comments about singing and the benefits of lessons.  Apart from anything else, I doubt my discipline to stick to doing all the homework and practice if I did take singing lessons.  It would take time and focus and I tend towards the playing side in the little time I practice.  And that is probably an excuse as I know I could commit to 15 minutes straight after work if I wanted to and being tired after a days work is a poor excuse  ;D

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2020, 01:47:05 pm »
Yes - for some reason 'unread' misses some out.

My default saved browser setting to visit the forum is the one David has linked - it ensures I always see all unread posts every time I visit.

And I found "Unread" quite unreliable when accessing the Forum using different devices.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App