Author Topic: Squier CV Tele - Tone Knob Question  (Read 691 times)

Offline bymbie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Squier CV Tele - Tone Knob Question
« on: September 29, 2020, 06:13:36 pm »
Hi,

I've been playing guitar with for 5 months. I mainly practice with a Squier CV Tele. I use a VOX Pathfinder 10 practice amp - not sure if this actually matters.

Since day 1, my tone knob is basically on or off. I notice no difference between various levels. It's the same for both pickups, although change from on/off is even less noticeable when I'm on the neck pup. I played with my amp with the theory that the gain/treble/bass settings "override" the tone knob, but it made no audible difference.

I did some research to understand what the tone knob is supposed to do and I believe mine is not working. I checked the wires and some tele wiring diagrams on Fender and everything appears to be good at the control panel (I did not remove my pickups).

This is not a life or death situation, but I was wondering if anyone could help me to diagnose and possibly fix the issue.

Thank you.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Squier CV Tele - Tone Knob Question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 06:27:10 pm »
The tone knob should progressively change the sound from very treble biased to bass biased to describe it simply. If you can’t tell any difference then it suggests that there could be a wire off or a bad soldered joint. Generally it’s more usual for the tone control to be coarse down to a poor quality pot being used but you would notice the difference end to end of the pot travel.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline bymbie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 06:55:41 pm »
Hi DarellW - thank you for the reply.

Here is a picture of my control panel:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kGS1Ss9qt2_VtAMPZNFnz8dxC33rlqXl/view?usp=sharing

I am not an electronics expert (although I troubleshoot constantly my classic motorcycle's electronic issues), but tele wiring looks fairly simple. Is there a way to measure continuity without removing the pickups? Or do I need full access?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 09:17:47 pm »
if it’s still in warranty take it back to where you got it from and ask them to fix it, if not:
First thing is to take the panel off and check the wiring, this will help:
https://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/telecaster-wiring
In your position I would probably resolder all of the connections on the pot, then try it again before you put it all back together. If that doesn’t work get a pro to look at it.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline bymbie

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 12:25:43 am »
I will contact the shop I bought it for and see what they say.

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 09:26:41 am »
I agree, take it back to the shop, especially if it is still under warranty.

If you want to try and diagnose the problem yourself and all the wiring looks correct as per the many diagrams of the telecaster wiring, then it seems most likely that the tone pot is faulty. It you have meter, you can check the resistance between the middle tab on the tone pot to the tab that goes to the volume control. It should be clear which tabs to use from the circuit diagram. You should see a varying resistance when you move the tone knob.
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Get The Forum As A Mobile App