Author Topic: B2-1307 Blues songs for beginners  (Read 1077 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:42:44 am by close2u »

Offline skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: B2-1307 Blues songs for beginners
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:37:30 pm »
SoI'm trying to find the tabs for the songs Justin recommends.  One is "The Thrill Is Gone - B. B. King (Key of Bm)".  This song is in his songbook but it doesn't really seem to fit with the lesson e.g. the strumming isn't a shuffle and there arent many 7 chords in it.  Should I be adding a shuffle to it?  Not sure about the 7 chords?

Offline gertvr

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 06:06:45 pm »
I don't understand how we are supposed to work on blues songs in the suggested practice routine. Ok, we play a 12bar blues progression over the track, but we only know A7 to G7, and most of the songs Justin lists are in keys like Bb, Bm, Eb and what have you. How are we supposed to find the "7th chords" for these keys?

tx  8)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 07:10:35 pm by gertvr »
Faith PJE Legacy Mars, Fender Tim Amstrong Hellcat, Fender Player Stratocaster HSS, Boss Katana 50.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 06:29:07 pm »
@gertvr

By now you should know
A7
C7
D7
E7
G7

What songs are you thinking that are in Bb, Bn or Eb?

Offline gertvr

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 07:12:52 pm »
These are the songs Justin suggests we could potentially have a look at to practice over (copied from the lesson):

Tore Down - Freddie King (Key of D)
Pride And Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan (Key of Eb, SRV tunes down a half step!)
The Thrill Is Gone - B. B. King (Key of Bm)
Crosscut Saw - Albert King (Key of Ab)
All Your Love - John Mayall & The Blues Breakers (Eric Clapton!) (Key of A)
Hey Hey - Big Bill Bronzy (but no V in bar 12!) (Key of E)

Crossroads - Eric Clapton (note that the original by Robert Johnson is not a regular 12 Bar Progression) (Key of A)
See See Baby - Freddie King (Key of Bb)
Sweet Home Chicago - The Blues Brothers (Key of A)
The Sky Is Crying - Elmore James (Key of D)

Johnny B Good - Chuck Berry (Key of Bb)
Scuttle Buttin - Stevie Ray Vaughan (Key of Eb - he's tuned down a half step)
Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker (Key of F)

E.g. From the Bb major scale The I chord is Bb, the IV chord Eb and the V chord F.... or?:-[

What did I miss...?
Faith PJE Legacy Mars, Fender Tim Amstrong Hellcat, Fender Player Stratocaster HSS, Boss Katana 50.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 08:39:02 pm »
I missed the fact you asked this in the wrong discussion thread so didn't know where you're question came from.
You should have been asking in B1307 Blues songs for beginners.
I'll merge these posts and address your question after.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 08:41:00 pm »
Okay, also written in the lesson, directly above the list of songs ...

There really are thousands of songs you can play once you learn a Blues. You don't have to play them in a particular key although there are some Blues songs that are most commonly played in some keys more than others.

Here are some suggested listening for you to check out on this Spotify Playlist and some names of track you might like to check out and the commonly used Blues progression for that song - but even that is fluid and can be changed!

I would suggest finding a tune or two and that you really dig and working on it in whatever key you like - try a few and see - especially if you are going to sing, you should find a key a vibe that feels good for you!
...!

So firstly, Justin is suggesting 'listening' to some classic blues music to get the whole feel and vibe. No matter what the key.

Then if you like something and are able to catch the vibe, have a go at playing your version of that song, using the blues rhythm you know how to play that matches, in a key that you know how to play.
He is not suggesting you do play in Eb or Bb or Bm at this stage.
He is just asking you to listen and see how the blues groove works in songs and take the skills you have learned to play your own version.

You can use software to import the mp3s of any tracks that you want to play along with that are not in your easy keys. Audacity is free if you have no such software. Import mp3, select all, change pitch up or down to make it in the key of A or E or whatever suits.

Does that make sense?

Online adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 08:47:48 pm »
Btw I don't think Pride and Joy is stepped down, it sounds perfectly fine when I play it in E tuning, perhaps you have a wrong tabs?

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline gertvr

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 06:19:04 pm »
@close2u

That made absolute total sense! Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sorry about that, Justin did explain everything obviously 🙏.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App