Author Topic: Yamaha Pacifica Owners - Bubbled Pick Guard(s)...  (Read 1278 times)

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
Yamaha Pacifica Owners - Bubbled Pick Guard(s)...
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:13:55 pm »
Or owners of any other guitar brands...

I've only had my guitar a few weeks & already the pick guard is starting to bubble up, & I assure you it is not the protective peel away layer they put on to protect it when it is packed in the factory!!

I kjnow it's called a pick guard but my pick hasn't even touched it...yet!!

Has this happened to anyone else, particularly those that own a Yamaha? If it's common, then maybe not much I can do but if it's a quality issue them maybe I can take it back to have a new guard put on it. Also, is it caused by any particular type of room environment, such as humidity or something else? I have a dehumidifier in my room, so I'd be surprised if humidity has caused it.

I'd welcome any info or opinions.

Cheers

Tony :)
Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Offline guitalias

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Yamaha Pacifica Owners - Bubbled Pick Guard(s)...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 11:16:51 pm »
Any possibility nail polish remover got there somehow?

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 11:35:39 pm »
Any possibility nail polish remover got there somehow?

Blimey! There's an interesting theory! I can guarantee you no, as there's not a drop of the stuff in the house!! My guitar hasn't been near anything liquid, acidic, alkaline or any other substance that damages plastic. They look like air bubbles but how that could have got in there, I've no idea. It was absolutely perfect when I bought it. There is a very slight bit at the edge that is starting to lift up but no sign that this where it all started.

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 12:16:09 am »
I have a second hand Pacifica (not sure of the age) which doesn't have what you are seeing! Not sure wjhat that could be to be honest.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 213
    • My Road Case
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 06:41:49 am »
A quick thought...  but are you sure the thin plastic film that comes on the scratch plate from the factory has been removed? They may have put more than one layer on.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:37:02 am by Majik »

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 07:37:20 am »
A quick thought... I know it's second hand, but are you sure the thin plastic film that comes on the scratch plate from the factory has been removed?

Hi Keith,
I was sort of wondering that but there was one plastic sheet that was removed by me when I unboxed it. The edges overhung the plate substantially & each of the pickups had plastic over them as well. I'd be surprised if I needed to remove another bit of film - if so, this one is cut right at the edge & is not obvious. I've thought of trying to peel it off. I'll speak to the guitar shop to see if they know anything & see if I can get something done about it if it's a fault.

Thanks for your reply though.

Cheers

Tony. :)

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 08:20:41 am »
Mine is 7-8 years old and not got any bubbling. Worst comes to the worst you can buy replacement pick guards.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline guitalias

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 09:33:12 am »
Blimey! There's an interesting theory! I can guarantee you no, as there's not a drop of the stuff in the house!! My guitar hasn't been near anything liquid, acidic, alkaline or any other substance that damages plastic. They look like air bubbles but how that could have got in there, I've no idea. It was absolutely perfect when I bought it. There is a very slight bit at the edge that is starting to lift up but no sign that this where it all started.
Reason I said  ail polish remover is 1. Because of the pattern 2. I used acetone (aka NPR) to try to remove paint from some volume knobs & they started dissolving.

Anyone else live in your abode?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 09:38:10 am »
Tony - I know you said the plastic film is off. That is the sort of pattern you may see from the plastic film so it's a mystery.

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 12:56:57 pm »
Anyone else live in your abode?

Guitalias, Technically I share a house with 3 others - all blokes - but we all have our own locked rooms so no one else has access to my stuff. Hope my reply to you wasn't taken as me mocking you, dread the thought. You have certainly made me aware though not to even consider putting that substance nearby!
Thanks for your reply though. :)

I know you said the plastic film is off. That is the sort of pattern you may see from the plastic film so it's a mystery.

Hi Richard,
I could probably try to peel it off & I've seen this on plastic before & it can can really hard & time consuming to get it off. Often you end up with patches where it's peeled off & not! I'll check with the shop & see what they say because to me, this shouldn't be happening. I've never seen 2 layers of plastic put on for packing purposes. It doesn't affect the performance at all, it's purely cosmetic but hey, I'm very fussy with my stuff & quite pedantic at times, so it annoys me!
Thanks for the reply too. :)

Cheers

Offline GregB

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 06:10:04 pm »
Have a look this

I have a 112 and could have sworn I took the PG protection off. Just checked it now and I’ve now removed a PG protective coating. So either I only thought I took it off a year ago or there was two coatings.

Have to say I couldn’t tell there was a coating on just now until I picked at the edge.

I’ll also say the guitar was set up by a luthier when I got it around a year ago and never removed it or mentioned it.

I didn’t need to loosen any screws as per video as all screws are countersunk.

Might be worth prising a volume knob off with a pick and see if you can find a film edge under there.

In the video comments someone says it’s not unusual to have two protective films.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 11:36:22 pm by GregB »
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 06:41:55 pm »
if you have removed all the protective film from the pick guard, there can only be one other
thing that will do that. Some sore of chemical has gotten on it.
What kind of Hand sanitizer have you been using? Have you used Off bug repellent or
anything with deet in it. Both these can react with plastic and finishes on guitars   

Offline guitalias

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 07:16:19 pm »
Guitalias, Technically I share a house with 3 others - all blokes - but we all have our own locked rooms so no one else has access to my stuff. Hope my reply to you wasn't taken as me mocking you, dread the thought. You have certainly made me aware though not to even consider putting that substance nearby!
Thanks for your reply though. :)

Cheers

Nah, didn't think you were mocking me at all. & NPR was only one example of a possible  solvent/chemical. Have seen similar from brake fluid also, but as stitch suggests consider other substances like hand sanitiser.

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 08:43:07 pm »
An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: JKAIqStDYKSifx-Q)

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the attempt at providing a Youtube clip to watch but I get the above error when trying to watch it. Any chance of providing the title to it so that I can try a search on youtube to see if it will play that way?

if you have removed all the protective film from the pick guard, there can only be one other
thing that will do that. Some sore of chemical has gotten on it.
What kind of Hand sanitizer have you been using? Have you used Off bug repellent or
anything with deet in it. Both these can react with plastic and finishes on guitars   

Thanks for that Stitch. However, I very rarely use sanitiser - never at home, only at work when necessary. I wash my hands alot though & do first thing when I get home. No sanitiser or bug repellent at home either.
I dropped in to the shop on the way home & showed them the pic on my phone & they've asked me to take it in as they said it looks unusual.

I did actually see a few unboxing videos on youtube & not one had any protective film on the pickguard that needed removing. I did however, notice on one where in the corner of the guard a bit of film was starting to lift up & looked like it needed to be peeled. The new owner didn't notice it while on the video, so no answer in that clip!!
Mine may just need peeling off & I might be worrying over nothing but I've seen this kind of film on plastics before & you start to peel it off & you end up with patches of unpeeled & peeled plastic film as part of the film has bonded with the layer underneath. I'll just get the shop to check it first. It won't cost me anything but if I start playing with it & it doesn't work then I might have to pay to get it fixed.

Thanks everyone for your replies though, much appreciated.

Cheers

Offline GregB

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 11:37:26 pm »
Have a look above now, should work.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:46:03 am by close2u »
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 07:42:07 am »
Thanks a million Greg, it worked a treat this time.
 I would say that my pickguard is rather like the second guitar in the video. I'll still take it to the shop & then maybe they can do it - I'm sure they must've done it before.

Cheers Mate, very helpful.

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 03:49:06 pm »
I had to remove two films from my Pacifica. One is the thin film from the plexiglass sheet that protects the plexiglass in manufacturing and cutting. The other was a slightly thicker plastic that protects the guitar from showroom playing I think?

Hope you got it sorted out though, and it wasn't something weird. But yes, I removed 2 from my Pacifica, and there were 3 films on the Glarry bass. Two were the thicker play-test protection films, and one was the mfg. film from the plexiglass itself. I only have the two electric instruments, but that's what mine came with.
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Get The Forum As A Mobile App