Author Topic: New Beginner Acoustic Guitar  (Read 243 times)

Offline Rishendra

• Good Vibes 0
New Beginner Acoustic Guitar
« on: September 14, 2020, 06:20:49 am »
Hi, I need an advice as to whether to go for Alvarez AD30 or Yamaha FG800. Both guitars are the same price and  have almost same specifications except for the AD30 which has real bone nut and saddle and mahogany back and side ( FG800 has nato/okume).

Thanks.

Offline SillySock7

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
    • My Road Case
Re: New Beginner Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 06:51:11 am »
Can't go wrong with Yamaha, the FG series are real awesome guitars. I own an FG-TA which is based on the FG820, which in turn is a slightly dressed up FG800. The build quality, playability, and sound all punch way above its price tag. I especially love the satin neck which is just a joy to play. Great, versatile guitars.
Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 07:04:41 am »
Well, I haven't played either of those guitars. I do have an Alvarez-Yairi DY-67, and I used to own a Yamaha FGX700SC. (I no longer own the Yamaha, having giving it as a gift to one of my nieces).

Both of the guitars I listed above are solid workhorses, but the Alvarez-Yairi is in another class, IMO. It's an amazing guitar, and I feel lucky to own it. (I should probably also note that it's an older guitar than the Yamaha, and much more "played in" and "seasoned.") However, I don't know if the stellar qualities of that guitar are also reflected in standard the standard Alvarez lines.

Can you play them? If so, my advice is to try them out and see if one speaks to you. That's always best, if possible. If that isn't a viable possibility, I don't think you'd go wrong with either guitar.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 50
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:10:28 am »
All other things being equal, which one do you like the look of best? A guitar has to shout out “play me” when you walk past it in the house.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 10:22:31 am »
All other things being equal, which one do you like the look of best? A guitar has to shout out “play me” when you walk past it in the house.

Quoted for the <censored> truth!

Really, this is a hugely important point. A guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play it can be "better" than a more expensive or more generally well-regarded guitar that doesn't inspire that same spark. There are a lot of subjective (or even "illogical") factors that can go into that. A guitar that inspires and motivates you is always something to be treasured, when you find them.

I know that's difficult advice for a beginner seeking a new guitar, because you don't have much context. Even so, don't discount the "I really like this one" factor.

Offline Twin Six

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 03:55:52 pm »
Both of the guitars I listed above are solid workhorses, but the Alvarez-Yairi is in another class, IMO. It's an amazing guitar, and I feel lucky to own it. (I should probably also note that it's an older guitar than the Yamaha, and much more "played in" and "seasoned.") However, I don't know if the stellar qualities of that guitar are also reflected in standard the standard Alvarez lines.

In my admittedly limited experience, the difference between Alvarez & Alvarez Yairi is the difference between excellent & exquisite. From my understanding, Alvarez has benefited from their long partnership with the Yairi workshop, which makes their Alvarez-branded guitars punch above their price point.
1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 twelve-string, named Twin Six
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar

Get The Forum As A Mobile App