Author Topic: Songwriting ... the composer's job is to set up some expectation ...  (Read 207 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
I found this article interesting and very useful.

Here's an extract:

"The composer's job is to set up some expectation in the listener's mind, and then meet that expectation enough of the time that you feel that you're in some kind of communication with the composer," Levitin says.

"But they have to violate it once in a while or [else] you're going to get bored."

This violation, Levitin believes, is almost the secret sauce of musical pleasure — and it's got to with how our brains work.

For the full article https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/features/david-levitin-on-the-neuroscience-of-music/12650676

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 323
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Songwriting ... the composer's job is to set up some expectation ...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 05:12:56 am »
Very interesting, Maggie, thank you. Makes me want to throw away my latest orginal and start again  :o

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 09:10:59 am »
Absolutely hits it on the nail, anything that’s predictable soon becomes boring whether it’s interesting or not; brings to mind the old chestnut “variety is the spice of life” too true!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 01:25:46 am »
Absolutely hits it on the nail, anything that’s predictable soon becomes boring whether it’s interesting or not; brings to mind the old chestnut “variety is the spice of life” too true!

I found his article thought provoking, then found more food for thought when I read some of his other articles. So much to learn Darrell, so little time. I feel a bit like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland ...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:42:19 am by batwoman »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 07:15:11 am »
I found his article thought provoking, then found more food for thought when I read some of his other articles. So much to learn Darrell, so little time. I feel a bit like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland ...

Haha, no such thing as too late! If you’re still breathing it’s never too late - I’m getting there!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 10:14:31 am »
Thanks BW , interesting.   I've read the exert not the article yet, going to now.  This feels like suspense and resolution type thing.  Our ear wants a nice resolving progression but when that resolution is suspended it's all the more satisfying. 
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 03:48:52 pm »
Interesting article Maggie and food for thought. My long gathering dust "Veterans Tale" was always an issue due to potential boredom factor. I know it needs some in your face breaks but never had the skills set to make that happen. Hence work in progress but its in good need of some violation.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline TonyP

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 05:43:45 pm »
I found this article interesting and very useful.

Very good article Maggie, thanks for posting it...it's certainly violated my expectations of songwriting!!! :) Now I've got something extra to conjure up for those little snippets of songs I have!!! :)

Just shows that it's probably all these little deep qualities & mysteries that makes music & its creation so enthralling.

Cheers

Tony :)
Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Get The Forum As A Mobile App