Author Topic: Guitar buzz & hard to play - Truss Rod Question  (Read 538 times)

Offline Leibster

• Good Vibes 0
Guitar buzz & hard to play - Truss Rod Question
« on: September 09, 2020, 07:16:28 am »
Looking for advice, please!  I have a new-ish guitar.  An Orangewood Morgan Mahogany acoustic that I got last July.  Recently, it got to be pretty buzzy, less fun to play, and noticeably more difficult to press down on the strings. 

I played with the truss rod, but couldn't make it right.  Then I got the idea that maybe it needs more humitidy.  I live in the desert and it was out of it's case for quite a while. (10%-30% humidity is pretty common here.) So I put it in a case with some humidifiers for about 5 days and played another guitar while I waited.  That seems to have improved the sound, but now I still can't get the truss rod right again.  No matter how I adjust it, it seems more prone to buzz and like the strings need to be pressed much harder than when it was new. 

Could changing the strings help?  I notice after keeping it humidified, the strings look much more worn out, and the finish on all of them has become much more dull.   Adjusting the truss rod doesn't seem to make a huge difference one way or the other.

Any suggestions on how I might fix this problem and return my Morgan Mahogany to it's former awesome state?  (Thanks in advance!)

Online J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 79
Re: Guitar buzz & hard to play - Truss Rod Question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 07:38:18 am »
My advice is to take it in and have an experienced tech look at it. Let them know about the humidification and truss ross adjustments you've already done. How much did you turn the truss rod? You have to be very careful with that adjustment (and in some cases, it can take a guitar a little while to "settle in" to such an adjustment, although usually it responds pretty much right away).

New strings can help with issues like buzzing and such since the old strings can get flat/worn spots in them, but you mentioned both buzzing and "more difficult to press down on the strings," which doesn't sound like "just old strings" to me.

Usually if you have a shop do a set up, new strings are part of the price.

(Apologies if this is all old info for you; I'm not sure what your level of experience is.)

Offline Leibster

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Guitar buzz & hard to play - Truss Rod Question
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 07:51:24 am »
Thanks.  Funny enough, I *think* I was able to get it back to where it needs to be shortly after I wrote this.  I say funny enough, because I've been tinkering with it for  2 days, and only seem to have gotten it right a little while ago.  Thanks for your help though!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App