Author Topic: calling all buskers  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 205
    • My Road Case
Re: calling all buskers
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2020, 09:53:50 am »
It's a little warmer than Scotland here in Berkshire at 8 degrees Celsius, but quite windy and the weather service says "feels like 4 degrees".

I decided to have my morning coffee inside and won't be going out with my guitar any time soon.

It's definitely too cold for people to be sitting outside wearing thongs!

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2020, 10:04:22 am »
It's a little warmer than Scotland here in Berkshire at 8 degrees Celsius, but quite windy and the weather service says "feels like 4 degrees".

I decided to have my morning coffee inside and won't be going out with my guitar any time soon.

It's definitely too cold for people to be sitting outside wearing thongs!

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

🤣  cant type laughing.
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 76
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2020, 10:11:57 am »
The humorous potential of "thongs" cannot be understated. :)

On a related note, do Aussies call these "bum bags" or "fanny packs" or something else? ("Fanny pack" is the common term in the U.S., but I know it has a different -- and amusing -- connotation for people across the pond...)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2020, 10:28:51 am »
If you were to comment on a girl’s fanny pack over here you’d get a severe slap on the face! 😂
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2020, 10:36:49 am »
@J.W.C.   what you got right there is a bum bag J.W.C.  ;D    Your fanny = our bum.  Your pack = our bag. 🤣   
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2020, 10:38:10 am »
If you were to comment on a girl’s fanny pack over here you’d get a severe slap on the face! 😂

At the least!!!!!!🤣

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 205
    • My Road Case
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2020, 11:55:14 am »
The humorous potential of "thongs" cannot be understated. :)

Indeed!

And, as a guitarist, I definitely don't want my G-string to be exposed to the winter elements.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2020, 12:34:37 pm »
I remember watching an old B&W John Wayne western & he said something along the lines of 'do that again & I'll knock you right on your fanny'. Not knowing what the Americans call it, I almost fell off my chair...I mean, saying that in the 1940s or '50s or whenever it was!!!

As they say, the UK & US...2 countries separated by the same language!!! :)
Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Amp: Blackstar ID:Core 10 V2
Piano: Roland EPVII 6 Octave Digital

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 346
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2020, 02:45:17 pm »
As they say, the UK & US...2 countries separated by the same language!!! :)

Recently finished a book about writing, English language and the author was quite explicit...two countries, now two languages...irrespective of the roots  ;D

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2020, 03:39:38 pm »
Recently finished a book about writing, English language and the author was quite explicit...two countries, now two languages...irrespective of the roots 

Indeed! Fortunately, we do understand each other. There are different spellings & pronunciations of course & American English has words that the British no longer use - the word 'gotten' is one example. It sounded wrong to me when I first heard it but it's not, it's just no longer used by us Brits.
All English speaking countries have their own ways of saying things - Jamaica speaks English but when they use their own patois, it's barely recognisable. Mind you, even here in England, when you hear the real Yorkshire or Geordie accent, it sounds like a different language, with very Scandanavian roots.

They've even placed the origins of certain US accents to parts of Britain - the southern accent is from the Scots/Irish & the NY accent apparently from East Anglia - that's Norfolk & Suffolk in England.

I've got a book packed away somewhere on the history of the English language. I watched the documentary series years ago, was very interesting...if you like that kind of thing of course!! :)

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2020, 10:53:50 pm »
I think Australia is kinda like the love child of the UK and the USA.    We seem to be 33% English 33% American and 33% bogan!

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2020, 07:33:29 am »
We seem to be 33% English 33% American and 33% bogan!

Good job I sold my old Commodore to a scrap merchant & that my moccasins wore out!! Still wear flannelette shirts, but!! Never had a mullet either! :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2020, 07:36:07 am »
  ... We seem to be 33% English 33% American and 33% bogan!
What about the other 1% ?

Offline TonyP

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2020, 07:37:53 am »

We don't talk about those!! :)

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2020, 05:24:39 am »

guitar hero!

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2020, 02:05:48 am »
Ahh man! Here I was thinking Saturday would be my Busking debut at our local farmers market. I’ve seen others out there doing the same in the past. Looks like more isolation playing for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2020, 04:26:24 am »
Ahh man! Here I was thinking Saturday would be my Busking debut at our local farmers market. I’ve seen others out there doing the same in the past. Looks like more isolation playing for me

So no go do you think Tosh?   I would have loved to have see footage of that dude.   Awesome that you've contacted them ,  that's a huge step.    I don't know , reading it it seems like busking is still happening just under pretty strict rules.. maybe I missed something.     Awesome JC cover again mate.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2020, 04:38:09 am »
Wednesday thoughts..
I'm pretty sure most of you who have submitted a 1TW recording this week read this thread so rather than start a new one I thought I'd just leaves some thoughts here. 
Thank you everyone, I'm not gonna mention names because I mean everyone!   Not only the guys who have so awesomely joined in on some Wednesday fun but everyone who has supported me and everyone else here in this thread and in the AVOYP section.    It's actually exciting for me to listen to everyones music on the forum regardless of how long you've played or how good your gear is or how many videos you've made.  I'm a complete novice at this recording and sharing and I learn from everyone.   I hope in some ways I can give back with my playing cause that's all i know really.   
I also wanted to invite everyone and anyone to join in whether it be just for one 'celebrity' appearance  or regularly.   This all just fun and I think for me beneficial too, but certainly no pressure for anyone involved.   If it's not Wednesday but you recorded a live 1 take and want to be involved just put 1-take wed in the subject and waaamo!  there's no rules on when and where you do it.   It's always Wednesday somewhere in the world.... ::)     
cheers!  and keep on picking!

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2020, 01:15:28 pm »
So no go do you think Tosh?   I would have loved to have see footage of that dude.   Awesome that you've contacted them ,  that's a huge step.    I don't know , reading it it seems like busking is still happening just under pretty strict rules.. maybe I missed something.     Awesome JC cover again mate.
Yeah I think it’s a no-go. The way I’m reading that is the part on the bottom is their general busking policy, whereas the top section is saying it’s not currently allowed due to Covid restrictions. Not very well stated or clear, I agree. My family and I often go to the market on Saturday mornings and I’ve seen other buskers in the past. Always had it in the back of my mind. Al good though. Now I have a goal after things open up again...fingers crossed!

Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2020, 11:19:53 pm »
Yeah I think it’s a no-go. The way I’m reading that is the part on the bottom is their general busking policy, whereas the top section is saying it’s not currently allowed due to Covid restrictions. Not very well stated or clear, I agree. My family and I often go to the market on Saturday mornings and I’ve seen other buskers in the past. Always had it in the back of my mind. Al good though. Now I have a goal after things open up again...fingers crossed!

Right yep I actually didn't see that bit.  Shucks.    Hey I really took inspiration from you standing up in this video because i'm a sit down player. How did it feel?  Do you practice that?  I can play standing up but I havent for a while.  This vid just popped up on my feed, thought you might not have seen it and anyone else stuck sitting like me... so good from Justin.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2020, 12:18:55 am »
Alex - your post just up there ... on Wednesday thoughts ... terrific :) vibes

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2020, 12:25:27 am »
Alex - your post just up there ... on Wednesday thoughts ... terrific :) vibes

Thanks Richard.  Back at you!   8)

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2020, 01:02:18 am »
Well, I had two things going for me that made standing up pretty easy. And Justin discussed both in the video. (1) comfortable, wider strap and (2) proper strap height. I had seen a video elsewhere too that talked, like Justin, about having the height so that the guitar is about the same height whether you're standing up or sitting.

Not the long ago I tried doing this only for a few minutes and had an awful nech ache the next day. So I feel like things are going in the right direction. Definitely want to do more of this!

Right yep I actually didn't see that bit.  Shucks.    Hey I really took inspiration from you standing up in this video because i'm a sit down player. How did it feel?  Do you practice that?  I can play standing up but I havent for a while.  This vid just popped up on my feed, thought you might not have seen it and anyone else stuck sitting like me... so good from Justin.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2020, 01:03:24 am »
Well, I had two things going for me that made standing up pretty easy. And Justin discussed both in the video. (1) comfortable, wider strap and (2) proper strap height. I had seen a video elsewhere too that talked, like Justin, about having the height so that the guitar is about the same height whether you're standing up or sitting.

Not the long ago I tried doing this only for a few minutes and had an awful nech ache the next day. So I feel like things are going in the right direction. Definitely want to do more of this!

You did look comfortable so it's surprising you're all over it. 

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 346
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2020, 01:07:36 pm »
This seems to be the place to talk about what we are doing.  So at risk of somewhat shamelessly promoting my own posting  :o

Inspired by #1TakeWed, I have just posted up a pseudo Open Mic video over in the Live Performances area.  I can't lie, I am not sure if that area receives as many visits as the usual AVOYP area, and of course having made the recording, like any "performer", I am hoping a few folk will take a look and offer some feedback  ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App