Author Topic: calling all buskers  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
Re: calling all buskers
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2020, 04:10:29 am »
Haven't done any busking yet being relatively new at guitar but its in the
back of my mind.
I keep telling my better half if my retirement funds cease I can go into town down to the street corner with my hat in front of me and pick and strum for potential handouts.
I might do Karaoke if the virus ever quits. Got a few songs I can do without sheet music in front of me.
Thanks for bringing it up and all the comments thus far.

Cheers Woodsy, sounds like a good idea getting some Karaoke time in!   Lets hope the retirement funds hold fast but I like your idea!   
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2020, 04:12:01 am »
What does that mean?

Just a joke about how many subscribers we have on our youtube channels. 
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2020, 09:24:07 am »
I could probably boost my pension fund. People would pay me to stop and go elsewhere!😃

At least buskers (however bad and annoying) are doing something in the hope of getting some money.

[ mod edited - comment veering towards controversial politics ]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:40:19 am by close2u »
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline woodsy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2020, 09:54:21 am »
There are a lot of talented buskers out there .
I got to watching some recently on youtube since Alex started this thread.
Looks like a good way to get some audience practice and also the potential
to get picked up by a music producer if you have what it takes.
Some of these buskers have millions of views and are amazing.
And now my wife wants me to learn to play Perfect by Ed Sheeran because she
watched some buskers on youtube doing it up.
Like I needed another song to learn right now.
And Justin has the lesson at my fingertips.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2020, 11:12:23 am »
Some great buskers outta there, I’ve actually seen these guys and strangely enough didn’t realise they were using Blackstar gear at the time 🙄

Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2020, 09:25:52 pm »
There are a lot of talented buskers out there .
I got to watching some recently on youtube since Alex started this thread.
Looks like a good way to get some audience practice and also the potential
to get picked up by a music producer if you have what it takes.
Some of these buskers have millions of views and are amazing.
And now my wife wants me to learn to play Perfect by Ed Sheeran because she
watched some buskers on youtube doing it up.
Like I needed another song to learn right now.
And Justin has the lesson at my fingertips.

It's incredible the talent out there.  I follow a young Irish girl on youtube called Allie Sherlock.  She's incredible.  She does Perfect by Ed Sheeran, it think it's got 13mil views or something crazy.  You know what they say Woodsy, happy wife happy life! 8)

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2020, 09:30:04 pm »
Some great buskers outta there, I’ve actually seen these guys and strangely enough didn’t realise they were using Blackstar gear at the time 🙄

They're awesome!   Love it.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 03:00:33 am »
Great idea for a thread, Alex. And some great advice, just as you would expect in this community. I played and sang at a family party last year, and that was the closest I’ve come to a public performance. Would love the idea of playing a farmers market or maybe even an open mic but now am content iust working out my own stuff. Love Maggie’s advice of maybe just playing in your own patio — baby steps. But if you do, be sure to record it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 178
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 11:01:13 am »
thanks for sharing your story and the impact of your mental state and attitude towards playing for an audience or being around people in general.

You are far beyond the point "good enough for busking" so you're solid there :)
So waste no time on doubting that.

You can still busk and pull up your "security" around you.
In a physical fashion, you can lay out your guitar case and loose gear around you, creating a physical border. Pick a tactical spot where you have a corner or shield one side, it will help you feel safer in your first efforts?

The mental fashion: When I busk, I try to engage people; easier songs, very recognizeable, popular songs, simple beats and lyrics so i'm able to put up a little show :)
I just want to be on stage and people to enjoy whatever I do. We couldn't be more different :)

..But I also do songs where I use my emotion to make it more sincere, better quality; a more moving, part. I I only see, feel, hear myself, my guitar, my microphone, I focus on the song and how it makes me feel to convey it to the audience. Screw the audience at that point really :) 1 guy just standing there? 20 people looking? just a crowd passing by in a street? nothing matters at that point. it's just me and feeling that song. This kind of zone could be your safe place to share your skills and entertaintment with the people while to can dose your amout of "outbound" as you like.

I admire your courage and even though I long for the stage, it's still a little frightning every time. That's ok, it means that you take it seriously ;)

I simply asked a permit in my town for a psot to play so I was comfortable knowing nobody or no cop would be able to bother me. That's also one of the things you can do to create that "safe spot".

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline woodsy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 04:17:41 pm »
It's incredible the talent out there.  I follow a young Irish girl on youtube called Allie Sherlock.  She's incredible.  She does Perfect by Ed Sheeran, it think it's got 13mil views or something crazy.  You know what they say Woodsy, happy wife happy life! 8)
Right. Yeah, I saw Allie singing Perfect, beautiful voice. Shes right up there with Adele and also Selena who sings for Justin some in his lessons.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2020, 01:49:26 pm »
@LievenDV thank you Lieven , I really appreciate your thoughts on this subject.  It's interesting to read your experiences and the fact that you still get nerves!  You've given me more to think about, thank you.  I like the barrier idea, i actually thought of a disguise but quickly dismissed it.    I'm playing head games with myself at the moment.  One day i'm fairly positive, the next i'm totally off the idea.  I'll come around, everyone here have been great in getting me thinking differently.   Thanks again Lieven and cheers for the compliment on my playing too.
@phx1973  thanks Tosh.   Do you have the urge to perform?   Or are you happy playing for yourself and maybe family? 

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2020, 03:29:08 pm »
Much have been said already, but here is even more encouragememt  8) :
Like mentioned, you are actually already taking steps outside your comfortzone by planning this and writing here and everything! That is awesome!

I've both played several open mic nights and been busking in a couple different contries, and if I were you I'd maybe try an open mic first, for these reasons (from my experience at least):

In most cases weekly/monthly open mic night arrangements are very happy to see more people show up to play to keep it alive/going. They will probably be very nice and helpful, especially if you mention it's your first time and they will help you get your guitar plugged in right etc.

There will most likely be alot of people there just like you - kind of nervous, but wanting to play, some planning to play, someone just watching for now. This makes for a supporting atmosphere which is very nice for everyone involved. Maybe you will help someone take the leap and play a song next time?  :D

It never rains indoor, and the temperature is usually comfortable.

It has a clear start and end. You start, play one or three songs, and you are done.

(But if busking is more appealing to you, do that! :) Or why not just try both?)

Now, some general thoughts:

No matter what you choose and how it goes, you will not fail.
No matter what happens, you will grow as a person.
No matter what happens, if your intent is to create art for others to enjoy at the best of your abillities, and also forcing yourself far outside your comfort zone while doing so, you are a godamn hero dude, and stronger than most.

Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions regarding anything about playing live, I'll be happy to help.  :)
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 346
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2020, 03:40:54 pm »
Wonderful encouraging post, Marcus, vibes to you ...

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2020, 05:29:18 pm »
@marcusmarkmus thanks Marcus for such a thoughtful post!  Most of what you said, actually all of what you said i needed to hear.     
I guess anyone can answer this one as to their experience but are there many instrumentalists that play at open mics?   I really appreciate the offer Marcus thankyou.     I should have mentioned in my op that i have played in bands when i was young.  However now, the type of music  i play, the fact that it's solo and the fact that i'm not the same person i was when i was 20, makes this very different.    cheers Mate

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2020, 07:39:34 pm »
Wonderful, wise, positive and kind words frmo Marcus.
Nice one my friend - good vibes for sure.
:)

... are there many instrumentalists that play at open mics?  ...

It can depend on the flavour of the night.
I have attended some that historically arose from the folk club scene, that adapted to stay alive and continue to attract people. These still have some echoes of the folk club about them and instrumentals / tunes / non-vocal performances are heartily welcomed.
Some are more an evening of people of mixed ages and backgrounds and tastes, perhaps more towards the middle-aged to older and retired, who like to sing and play the back catalogue of pop & rock greats -Elvis, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac etc. Anything goes really and all is heartily welcomed.
Others still are eclectic and throw up unexpected and pleasantly surprising mix of music that comes from multiple genres. All is  heartily welcomed.
I have not encountered any that set themselves up as something narrowly focussed and not open to any other type of music or performance.
So in terms of playing solo arrangement fingerstyle guitar pieces you would be welcome at pretty much all  I reckon.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2020, 10:37:39 pm »
Wonderful, wise, positive and kind words frmo Marcus.
Nice one my friend - good vibes for sure.
:)

It can depend on the flavour of the night.
I have attended some that historically arose from the folk club scene, that adapted to stay alive and continue to attract people. These still have some echoes of the folk club about them and instrumentals / tunes / non-vocal performances are heartily welcomed.
Some are more an evening of people of mixed ages and backgrounds and tastes, perhaps more towards the middle-aged to older and retired, who like to sing and play the back catalogue of pop & rock greats -Elvis, Beatles, Fleetwood Mac etc. Anything goes really and all is heartily welcomed.
Others still are eclectic and throw up unexpected and pleasantly surprising mix of music that comes from multiple genres. All is  heartily welcomed.
I have not encountered any that set themselves up as something narrowly focussed and not open to any other type of music or performance.
So in terms of playing solo arrangement fingerstyle guitar pieces you would be welcome at pretty much all  I reckon.

Thanks Richard.  I guess playing arrangements of pop songs rather than instrumentals written for guitar would probably be the way to go to start with.  Something recognizable.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 12:40:21 am »
Excellent advise from Marcus. I've sent you a pm with a link to Open Mics in your part of the world.

From my limited experience, a well chosen OM is a great way to share your music with others. I belong to an Acoustics Club. It was a perfect start. The audience is warm, welcoming, supportive and they want players to succeed. They make a point of encouraging newbies. Many of them made their start there.  I was well looked after by the sound guy and the MC.

Marcus makes a good point when he talks about having a controlled and predictable environment. It made all the difference for me to know the venue and to know some of the folk there.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2020, 02:12:03 am »
Excellent advise from Marcus. I've sent you a pm with a link to Open Mics in your part of the world.

From my limited experience, a well chosen OM is a great way to share your music with others. I belong to an Acoustics Club. It was a perfect start. The audience is warm, welcoming, supportive and they want players to succeed. They make a point of encouraging newbies. Many of them made their start there.  I was well looked after by the sound guy and the MC.

Marcus makes a good point when he talks about having a controlled and predictable environment. It made all the difference for me to know the venue and to know some of the folk there.

Thanks BW...  8)   It's times like these I remember I live in regional Australia, and the nearest open mic may be a couple of hours away.    I just want to go to one now to check one out.   
Yeah it was a great post by Marcus and it's given me another burst of positive energy!  Vibes for all

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 76
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2020, 03:32:22 am »
My advice on open mics is to get to know the guy or gal running it. The biggest issue with open mics (IME) tends to be the highly variable sound quality, and if you get to know the organizer you can get some additional consideration. Of course, the best way to do that is just to dive in and start participating...

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2020, 03:58:32 am »
Hi Alex
I know nothing about mental health. I’m neither an introvert nor an extrovert, I’m Mr Average somewhere in the middle.....
Mr Average in this context is a good thing Gordon.  But I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that you're well above average in a musical context and as a person. 
Maybe instead of Mr Average, it should be,'Even Stevens'  I'm pretty sure that's what they call it.  By they, I mean a Seinfeld episode.
It wasn't this post but further down the page I think you made a comment that if you were busking you'd make money cause people would pay you to stop, hence making it a fiscally sound career stream into retirement.  >:( I think not. I know not. No-one is paying you to stop.   Having said that, it wouldn't be all bad if the money was right.   I'd take their money and stop if that's what they wanted.   My theory is that music to 50% of humans is noise that makes them tap their feet.   To the next 25% it's melody and rhythm.   To the rest of us, it's everything!  8) 

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2020, 11:26:15 pm »
Hey Alex!   I’ve read all the comments above and think there are some terrific comments & advice. Some things many of use can take to heart.

This made me think of the other day, I was playing my Set List on my back porch. I had been out there maybe 15 minutes then headed inside. I turned around and saw my neighbor step outside his door. I wondered if he was wondering what the racket was, or if he was wondering who was outside playing/singing; or if he simply had stepped out for a moment. Hehe!  But anyway, I wish you the best in your endeavors. I hope you tell your friend yes about playing at the soup kitchen. You can do it!  You have the talent, passion and desire.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 11:49:00 pm »
Hey Alex!   I’ve read all the comments above and think there are some terrific comments & advice. Some things many of use can take to heart.

This made me think of the other day, I was playing my Set List on my back porch. I had been out there maybe 15 minutes then headed inside. I turned around and saw my neighbor step outside his door. I wondered if he was wondering what the racket was, or if he was wondering who was outside playing/singing; or if he simply had stepped out for a moment. Hehe!  But anyway, I wish you the best in your endeavors. I hope you tell your friend yes about playing at the soup kitchen. You can do it!  You have the talent, passion and desire.

I'd say he was wondering where the delightful music was coming from!   We are a funny bunch us guitar players...'don't listen to me, listen to me, don't watch me, watch me...' lol   
You're so right, the comments on this thread have been so supportive and encouraging and education.  I'm truly thankful for that.  Thanks for your thoughts!   and keep playing out on the porch...if you do, i will.. 8)

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 12:01:14 am »
keep playing out on the porch...if you do, i will.. 8)

Now that’s a challenge I can get on board with!

Tosh

Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2020, 01:08:14 am »
Now that’s a challenge I can get on board with!

Tosh

You're on!

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2020, 02:44:00 pm »
Me too!  I take you both up on that challenge!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App