Author Topic: calling all buskers  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Twin Six

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: calling all buskers
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2020, 11:26:39 pm »
I busked playing sitar in the summer of '93 on a playground-of-the-rich resort town. I had a day job and busked in the evening. It required a police permit, which was free, and I was assigned a spot. It happened to be a lonely street corner across from an upscale al fresco restaurant. One night, an Indian gent & his missus came over as they were leaving the restaurant. He told me how wonderful it was for him to hear Indian music played properly, and put a $20 in my case. That was a wonderfully affirming moment.

There's nothing like an appreciative audience to bring you out of your shell.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:32:26 pm by Twin Six »
1986 Alvarez Yairi DY-76 (twelve-string) "The Twin Six"
1989 Alvarez Yairi DY-39 (six-string)
1993 Hiren Roy & Sons sitar

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2020, 12:44:01 am »
I busked playing sitar in the summer of '93 on a playground-of-the-rich resort town. I had a day job and busked in the evening. It required a police permit, which was free, and I was assigned a spot. It happened to be a lonely street corner across from an upscale al fresco restaurant. One night, and Indian gent & his missus came over as they were leaving the restaurant. He told me how wonderful it was for him to hear Indian music played properly, and put a $20 in my case. That was a wonderfully affirming moment.

There's nothing like an appreciative audience to bring you out of your shell.

What a great story Twin Six, and Sitar?  wow cool.   Thanks for posting this it's very cool and you're right, when what you do is really appreciate it's a gift!
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2020, 12:47:37 am »
This seems to be the place to talk about what we are doing.  So at risk of somewhat shamelessly promoting my own posting  :o

Inspired by #1TakeWed, I have just posted up a pseudo Open Mic video over in the Live Performances area.  I can't lie, I am not sure if that area receives as many visits as the usual AVOYP area, and of course having made the recording, like any "performer", I am hoping a few folk will take a look and offer some feedback  ;)

Always plug!   ;D And what a great way to spend a few minutes it is David.  Thoroughly enjoyable and like I said in my comment I wish I had your eloquence and way with words.   No wonder people love to watch you speak because even for a few minutes it makes my day!
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2020, 06:25:35 am »
Always plug!   ;D And what a great way to spend a few minutes it is David.  Thoroughly enjoyable and like I said in my comment I wish I had your eloquence and way with words.   No wonder people love to watch you speak because even for a few minutes it makes my day!

Thanks Alex.

"Always plug" LOL ... but I think maybe it would be crossing a line to plug that posting in AVOYP, since it seems (though maybe less than 24 hours is too soon to tell) that quite a few regulars seem to miss postings on that Live area, rather than AVOYP  :o  And I need and appreciate all the encouragement I can get   ::)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App