Author Topic: calling all buskers  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
calling all buskers
« on: September 05, 2020, 11:08:57 pm »
This is post 800 for me which i just noticed.   I might be guilty of over sharing at the moment, sorry about that but for post 800 I thought i'd start this topic which has been on my mind for a while.   This could be a very uninteresting , boring topic for many so I wont be offended if no one comments. 
I'm interested in hearing from and learning from those of you who have gotten out there and spent some time busking.  Whether or not it was for fun or out of necessity is not important to me.  I'm just really interested in hearing your experiences, good or bad.   And if you have done some busking and also suffer stage fright, performance anxiety, i'd be really interested in your experience.  It's one of those things that interests me more and more the older i get.  It also scares the heck out of me more and more the older I get, and that's just the thought of it.   
I suppose I'm trying to break down some of the walls or barriers I've put up with my music.   Playing live for human people is a massive cause of anxiety and stress for me and I know i'm not alone there.   Busking has kinda always been in the back of my mind as a way to take that step and start to overcome that fear.   Probably because it's the one form of performance that I can think of where the expectation to entertain or responsibility to isn't really there.    And if I realize after 3 seconds that I can't do it... I can walk.   No harm done.   hmmm.  I know that's probably not the best way to overcome your fears (giving yourself an easy out) but I'm certainly not going to just go start playing gigs or open mics, that'll never happen without first starting at ground level. ( :-[nthe thought of an open mic even makes me sick in the stomach).  Respect to the open micers!
ok i need to explain.  I'm not too proud to say that I have mental health issues.  I have spent my working life in the military and the NSW Police Service.  I've been battling these health issues since I was injured on the job as a Police Officer in Sydney in early 2000's.    I'm also a true introvert which for me means i get exhausted around people and my energy is drained really quickly.  And until I'm alone again and able to re-energize it stays that way.   The thing is none of this is out of the ordinary or uncommon at all.  Many performers / musicians are introverts and do have mental health issues and even have chronic stage fright.  But they still do it, and I wonder how, I really do.   
In my dreams I see myself in a decked out campervan, travelling around Australia, living a simple yet beautiful life, doing what i love to do and having it help provide for me.   Australia is an affluent country with an outdoor lifestyle so busking has always been big here and the good ones do well.  To make a few dollars would be a bonus but really the biggest and best thing I can imagine is to be able to play my guitar and have a couple of people stop and listen occasionally.   If that does what I imagine it could for me it would change my life and I'd be a much nicer person.   I just added the nicer person thing, really i'm never gonna be very nice...lol
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 346
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: calling all buskers
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 05:46:07 am »
First up, good vibes and congrats on the 800, Alex. I have always enjoyed your blend of insight, encouragement, self-deprecation, wry humour, and of course you are a mighty fine player. One of my (many) inspirations here in the Community, folk who demonstrate that with discipline, determination, dedication I too can play to a level that the everyday non-playing music-loving person-on-the-street would enjoy and dare I say consider impressive. That playing to that level is not a divine or genetic gift betstowed on the chosen few (without opening that debate here).

I know exactly how ineffective and lacking in empathy it would be to say that you play at a level where you have nothing to worry about in terms of ability to perform, to play at a level that people would enjoy. We all have our inner doubts, fears, and anxieties and the challenge is to build up that courage to take that bold step and put yourself out there, wherever there may be, despite those doubts, fears, and anxieties. 

That really began for me when I posted my first recording here, first audio, and then again even more so the first video. Credit yourself, you have taken that first step.

I don't think it is a bad thing to think of busking as being safe because if it doesn't go well then you can always pack up. If that serves as a safety net that makes it possible then I reckon that's just fine.

For me personally, I found the open mic OK to do because it felt like a safe and supportive place to take the step. I've shared at length elsewhere. But in a nutshell, my first step was a recce, to see the environment, to experience the evening, to meet the people. I spoke to some of the organisers to test what they expected of performers. And the vibe I got from them made me feel it would be OK, that they didn't expect people at the Open Mic to be consumate performers, who if the dice had rolled differently, had made different choices, could be pro or semi-pro musicians.

Busking for me would be a step up on that, for me it feels like I am stepping up and declaring myself to be a performer of some measure of quality.  It is not like a paid gig in terms of audience expectation, but I'd feel a need to be at a level beyond where I am now to go busking. 

That said, I think if you took a camping stool out there, plonked it down on the promenade, faced the ocean, and began to play for yourself, just like you do in your lounge then in short order passers-by would be stopping to listen.  Depending on your promenade you might not see them stop if they were walking by behind your back, but I can only say if I was walking by I'd by stopping to listen. And maybe that is a first step, not facing the public with an open guitar case seeded with some notes and coin, putting yourself out there as a street performer ... just rather playing in a public place.

Wish you well, my friend, and big ups for sharing your aspirations, doubts, and personal struggles.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 06:24:04 am »
In my dreams I see myself in a decked out campervan, travelling around Australia, living a simple yet beautiful life, doing what i love to do and having it help provide for me.   Australia is an affluent country with an outdoor lifestyle so busking has always been big here and the good ones do well.  To make a few dollars would be a bonus but really the biggest and best thing I can imagine is to be able to play my guitar and have a couple of people stop and listen occasionally.   If that does what I imagine it could for me it would change my life and I'd be a much nicer person.   I just added the nicer person thing, really i'm never gonna be very nice...lol

Here's your motivation Alex ... a dream that could be closer to becoming a reality than you might think. Over the many years you've learned and grown as a guitarist, you've been drawn by the joy of playing and improving on that. I know Tommy has been a great part of your inspiration. In some ways I see him living a life like your dream.

There are many who understand what it's like to be an introvert and how hard it is to be in full view. For introverts to fulfill their dreams, it's a matter of taking one step at a time. Those steps are fueled by a dream. You have a dream and you have a choice as to whether you live that dream or not.

Just like improving your guitar playing, so too you can learn and grow the skills that will enable you to feel safe and be seen and heard by others. I have no doubt at all that there are good things that go with taking that step, as yet unknown to you. These things lie on the other side of your fear.

Baby steps Alex.

First step. You could try sitting in your own garden and play. If your garden faces the street, all the better. Do this every day or so till you feel comfortable. If it helps, the first time you do this, choose a time when there's no one on the street.

Next step.  Might be something like parking your car near a beach or a lake, perching yourself on the edge of your car seat or the boot and playing one or two songs. Perhaps start on a day when no one is there. Keep going back and if there are people there, play a song or two.

Most of all, hold onto your dream. Bring it to life by taking tiny steps towards it.  Know that your buddies far and wide are backing you.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 06:36:06 am »
@DavidP that's a post I'm gonna save on my computer cause you really hit some valid points there and have me looking at things in a very different way which I thank you for. 
I really like the idea of doing a recce of an open mic. I don't even know if there is any running around here but i'm gonna find out because that's just a really good idea.  I'm as local as you can be here so I'll most most likely know one or two people from earlier years which could go either way but that's ok. 
News!  since my original post David I spoke with my friend who i've done some volunteer work before.
I'd totally forgotten about it cause it's been a while since he asked me,  but he gets local musicians who volunteer to do a 45 min set at the soup kitchen every wednesday lunchtime.   He asked if i was interested some time ago , I just laughed at him and he knew I was gonna say no.   But today I said , leave it with me for a few days.   
The soup kitchen thing is very low key and i've seen instagram videos that theyve put up from their wednesday musical lunch. And it's very much the people there eating are just happy people to be having a nice and being entertained.   They've had everything from quite well known acts travelling through town  to a 97 year old playing a ukele and singing tip toe through the tulips.   Surely I can squeeze my thing in between those genre's somewhere... ;D
Thanks my friend you've helped a lot and given me more than a little food for thought.   It's only an issue because of the style of guitar i play I think.  I believe I could strum through the nerves if i was accompanying a singer. The thought of that is actually quite ok.   But solo, and something about nerves and fingerstyle just turns me to a train wreck.  I couldn't fake it until i make it playing that stuff.  I'm so grateful for this excellent insight Mr D , you're a gentlemen of the highest order.  be safe, and keep on picking brother!
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 09:23:58 am »
@batwoman,  thank you so much for your amazing thoughtful and beautiful reply Maggie.  I'm moved by words as usual and I can't express that enough.   
I started this thread about busking but really it's more than that and I'm very lucky to have two of the nicest people i've ever known as friends thanks to this forum. Yourself and David have been more than just online friends to me and I'll always love you both for that.   
I had to smirk when i read your idea about playing in the garden.  One minute before I read it, I went around and closed my windows which is standard procedure for me when I rock out..lol.  So I opened one of them a smidge.  Small steps Maggie, small steps.  I really like the idea and i do have a nice little deck that it's up high and I've just given it a shush up with some bamboo and my herbs and it's actually completely private from view from anywhere.  Heard but not seen.. hmmm interesting. 
Watching the news and this covid thing is slowly getting better around our way Maggie.  I can't wait to take a roadtrip and spend some time up north there where all the cool cats hang out. ;)  I was thinking about it and it's been just on 1 year since I've been up there.   That's the longest its ever been for me.   
You take care and be safe and thank you.  I hope your recording and your current project is going fab!  can't wait to hear or see you play again!

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 09:59:56 am »
Alex, go out there and play the blues - it’s what you do best! I’ve been very much like you are for many years, it really does inhibit your progress! I’ve just recently started playing in public sitting outside of our Caravan (Trailer?) with all of our neighbours around listening and occasionally giving some applause! I don’t really see myself going busking yet but who knows, once I get acclimatised that may change. If it’s a desire then go for it, if you don’t you will never know what you have been missing which would be sad!!!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 10:31:48 am »
Alex, go out there and play the blues - it’s what you do best! I’ve been very much like you are for many years, it really does inhibit your progress! I’ve just recently started playing in public sitting outside of our Caravan (Trailer?) with all of our neighbours around listening and occasionally giving some applause! I don’t really see myself going busking yet but who knows, once I get acclimatised that may change. If it’s a desire then go for it, if you don’t you will never know what you have been missing which would be sad!!!

Yeah good advice thanks Darrell.  And you're right, it's all about not wanting regrets and getting older and all that.   Thanks for the up vote on the blues!  I do love me some blues that is for sure. My problem is I'm a softy and I love so many different genre's of music, I've been playing a classical song Pachabelles Cannon and a christmas carol i'm learning all week.  I'm not a big xmas person but now i'm posting a bit of music I thought I'd lean one to post this year.   
That's really great what you're doing with playing within range of your neighbors.  Like Maggies idea it's one I can definitely do from my deck.   Keep me posted if you do decide to go further and have a busk!  thanks for your post Darrell.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 11:11:32 am »
Hi Alex
I know nothing about mental health. I’m neither an introvert nor an extrovert, I’m Mr Average somewhere in the middle. I’ve never busked or done an open mic, so I’m not even sure why I’m replying to your post as I have no first hand knowledge or advice to offer. I can only offer what I hope is a supportive ear from the other side of the world.
What I can say is that you have terrific guitar/musical skills so have absolutely no need to worry about what people would say about your playing should you go ‘public’.

I’m sorry if my reply is stating the obvious but I really felt for you when I read your post.
Driving around sunny Australia in a camper-van playing guitar sounds like an awesome way to spend some time. Is this an achievable dream? I obviously don’t know your circumstances but perhaps unrealistic to think of doing it on a full time basis? But for part of the year it sounds fantastic. The advice others have given you sounds good to me.

I’m sure you’ll make the right decisions and I look forward to your next AVoYP. Perhaps you could take a leaf out of CT’s book and post one from your deck. I for one will look at the sun, bamboo and herbs (and of course listen to the guitar skills) with envy.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline GregB

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 11:40:35 am »
Hi Alex
I know nothing about mental health. I’m neither an introvert nor an extrovert, I’m Mr Average somewhere in the middle. I’ve never busked or done an open mic, so I’m not even sure why I’m replying to your post as I have no first hand knowledge or advice to offer. I can only offer what I hope is a supportive ear from the other side of the world.
What I can say is that you have terrific guitar/musical skills so have absolutely no need to worry about what people would say about your playing should you go ‘public’.

I’m sorry if my reply is stating the obvious but I really felt for you when I read your post.
Driving around sunny Australia in a camper-van playing guitar sounds like an awesome way to spend some time. Is this an achievable dream? I obviously don’t know your circumstances but perhaps unrealistic to think of doing it on a full time basis? But for part of the year it sounds fantastic. The advice others have given you sounds good to me.

I’m sure you’ll make the right decisions and I look forward to your next AVoYP. Perhaps you could take a leaf out of CT’s book and post one from your deck. I for one will look at the sun, bamboo and herbs (and of course listen to the guitar skills) with envy.

Alex, I could say my dream was to play half as well as you can, sadly I’ve not enough time left 😂 so I’d settle for half as good.

I think you’ve been given some fantastic advise from the community and baby steps sounds like a way forward for you. Keep sharing your skills on here too, it a great listen.
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 12:59:38 pm »
Gordon and Greg thank you both for such encouraging and supportive posts I really appreciate it.   And I am humbled by the compliments on my playing it really really does mean a lot. 
Thats not a bad idea of a Deck Sessions series Gordon,  ;D and considering my recording policy of,  'if it doesn't happen in the first 2 takes it's not gonna happen'  I wouldn't be out there playing all day or anything.  hmm just turned spring here too, feels like summer already, love it.
I'm going to experiment with my next recording using my guitars pic up and inbuilt condenser mic into my amp then line out from my amp into zoom h5 on one mono track, and simultaneously record using the zooms inbuilt mics on another mono track.  Because they'll sound completely different it usually makes a  good mix..I had a zoom years ago and did this a few times.  This new zoom Up until now I've just been recording in stereo using the zooms mics... what was my point.. oh yeah I can easily run leads inside from my deck and into the amp and back out into the zoom so that'll work.   
Thanks again Gordon and Greg. keep on picking!

Offline rwoodlin

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 01:07:59 pm »
Just jumping in here to say the love and caring in this community is beyond awesome!
Regards,
Robert

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 346
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 01:17:49 pm »
The soup kitchen opportunity sounds like it might be just right and the fact that it surfaces just as you post this ... no coincidences, as they say.

Online adi_mrok

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 01:38:24 pm »
Hi Alex I am also not the person who is able to give you any advice on busking since I am still way behind with my skills but I can try to encourage you as well and give you a compliment for how you are a very good guitar player. I think with those skills peoplr would be blessed having an opportunity to hear you alive.

And baby steps is all I can think of - from opening the window to playing on a porch and perhaps moving outside to some secluded place like a big open plan park on a bench where really there is a one or two persons passing by each hour. Once you build up some confidence try to push yourself and move beyond your comfort zone because that's when good things are happening.

Lately when my wife was taking a driving lesson so I had a spare 2 hours. Ipicked up my guitar and sat there on a bench where some people were playing cricket and others were watching and at first I was terrified but then I thought whatever I am here a complete stranger and once I pack up and hide my guitar back to my car I will drive back home 20 miles away and I will never see those people again. It also helped that I don't have an acoustic guitar so playing on an unhooked electric was really quiet and barely anyone was hearing it, but hey that is a first step isn't it?

It's completely unrelated to busking but when it goes to pushing yourself outside the comfort zone to get reulsults I can try and compare it to myself moving abroad and using English 90% of a time. First when I was learning as a kid there were children in my social area who were laughing you off when you tried and gave effort to sound better than an average person while speaking English. It actually even was taking place when I was at uni and people were mocking like oh are you working at Queen's courtyard, give it a break and speak like everyone else. I was affected by those comments but I still tried to push and I think I speak better than all of my friend and perhaps nowadays they even feel a bit jealous when it comes down to my English skills.

I didn't have much confidence with me so when I moved in to the UK you can't even imagine the stress I was under when I was looking for my first job here. Speaking with a native British person during an intervieqlw - how will they understand my mumbling, am I going to freeze, gosh those accents how will I understand them? And you know what I somehow pulled it off - I could stay in my comfort zone go working somewhere where many immigrants are working and English is barely used but I pushed myself and I am quite well.

So very long story short go out there and give it a go! Drive out to a local town where no one knows you sit on a bench and think "you know what they don't know me and once I put back my guitar into a car and drive back home I am again in a safe zone and nobody will know from my social circle that I have tried" and perhaps it will be a step closer to an open mic or gathering crowds on promenade to admire your guitar skill.

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline woodsy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 04:22:50 pm »
Haven't done any busking yet being relatively new at guitar but its in the
back of my mind.
I keep telling my better half if my retirement funds cease I can go into town down to the street corner with my hat in front of me and pick and strum for potential handouts.
I might do Karaoke if the virus ever quits. Got a few songs I can do without sheet music in front of me.
Thanks for bringing it up and all the comments thus far.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 06:19:41 pm »
I won't speak to mental health issues, nor do I want to minimize anyone's situation, but it takes guts to present your talent in any public manner for all to see. Most of us had to build up our nerve to begin sharing our music. Anyone born with a slice of ham in them has my respect. 

At the risk of being somewhat contrary, I often find buskers and random street performers to be intrusive most of the time. The same goes for people with loud car radios and boom boxes in public places. It can be a total assault on the senses, and a negative mood altering experience. The music that rattles around in my brain is where I am in the moment. One particular busker who set up court at a local farmer's market eventually drove me away from it. It's a skill like any other, and you need to do your homework, and most of all know your audience. Find a place where what you play is welcome. Playing to a captive audience needs some forethought.

That said, there is the occasional lone sax player in the distance that has been known to totally slay me. It's a mixed bag with only occasional instances that have moved me in a positive way. I would probably busk with a sign reading, "Pay me to stop playing."

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 06:46:34 pm »
Hey Alex.
You're already putting yourself out there in public by posting as you did and declaring your health issues and your doubts and fears.
You have taken a huge step towards playing 'out there somewhere, to somebody' by stating the desire publicly.
As Mrs B says above, the actuality of the doing it may take baby steps. Opening your window is a great idea and had resonance with me as I have always made a point of closing my windows if I'm playing loud - for no discernible reason. Nor do I play in my back or front garden - and I easily could. There is a public path running behind the fence / trees of my back garden but people can't see.

As to busking ... it has many forms really. Some take a street amp and plug in plus sing with a mic. They are loud and fill up a space and there's no missing them. Some actively perform and seek a crowd. At the other end, there are incidental players who play through a repertoire  without making a song and dance about it (pun intentional). The latter is not likely going to make a lot of money but if you can imagine yourself heading down that path it can be a confidence builder as you overcome your obstacles.

Other points - unless you set out to stop people and have a crowd, people are going to pass on by so you are literally playing as a passing string of people walk by, not for a crowd. That means you do not need to play perfectly. It means you can play a very small repertoire on loop basically as 99.9% of people won't hear a full song through, never mind your entire set list. It can be a way to hone a handful of songs - get out and play five songs through two or three times each. Or more if you're into it.

The open mic idea is great - unlike playing on the street where you are the centre of any attention that is given (if it is given), an open mic is a completely shared event. Yes, for your stint, you will be the focus. But the pressure is minimal if you find a supportive place like David has because everyone has gone out for a drink or two, a little music, perhaps something they can sing along to, perhaps something they don't normally hear, and to hear music played live. The expectations could be wholly manageable for you. You could maybe even just start with one song / tune as you find your way.

I'm sure DavidP posted a video of him playing next to a truck at some outdoors event some time back in time.
I recall a few other forum members writing about / posting pics / video of them playing in the street too. You may get some more people chime in.

ps
Years ago - more than a few, when I was still quite young - I did do some busking but it was with four other people, several sang, we had multiple instruments and it was  not at all frightening in that scenario. Solo busking I know nothing about personally.
I have done open mics but, as you suggest above, I strum along for Mrs C to sing and I have little pressure on me as most focus on the vocalist.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 11:24:31 pm »
@rwoodlin - you're so right,  I'm blown away by the encouragement and support.
@adi_mrok - Thanks so much for your encouraging post adi.   Some really good points and things for me to think about.   That sounds like a great way to spend the afternoon, sit back watching a game of cricket playing a few tunes!
@CT  ;) thank you my friend.   It's interesting to read your take on buskers and I have to admit there have been times when the sound coming from a busker nearby has been enough for me to move on!  interesting.   Being contrary is great Clint that's why I put this out there, I get stuck in my own head just reading thoughts from you all really does to help.   As you know you and your words were a big part of me getting of my butt and posting some music as I have been more recently, I'm really grateful for that because it's started something and it's continuing, so thank you.   I think i was born with a slice of ham but over the years it's turned into spam...  :-\
@close2u - wow thanks Richard for such a great post.  I feel chuffed at the response from the community here.   I do remember that post of David playing by the truck outside.  Feels like so long ago.    I appreciate your words Richard and sharing your experiences it's again given me another perspective and it will help to get out of my head..  I think that's really what it will come down to for me.   
I wish I had a Mrs C so I could accompany her while she say :)  I have a girlfriend so I think gonna have to tell her that if she doesn't learn to sing well, she's out the door.   I don't see any other way.   ;)    that's gonna come to bite me that one.   ;)
Thanks again for all the extremely thoughtful, caring posts.  It's really something.  I'm really feeling the community spirit and love here and I thank  you all for that.    Many of your posts I will re read several times and I know they'll help.  Keep on picking!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
    • YouTube
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2020, 12:46:44 am »
@CT  ;) thank you my friend.   It's interesting to read your take on buskers and I have to admit there have been times when the sound coming from a busker nearby has been enough for me to move on!  interesting.   Being contrary is great Clint that's why I put this out there, I get stuck in my own head just reading thoughts from you all really does to help.   As you know you and your words were a big part of me getting of my butt and posting some music as I have been more recently, I'm really grateful for that because it's started something and it's continuing, so thank you.   I think i was born with a slice of ham but over the years it's turned into spam...  :-\
I may have helped by planting a seed, I'm sure others chimed in as well, but all credit goes to you. You can really play guitar, my friend!

The greatest inspiration that I can bring to the table is for people to observe an opinionated old croaky voiced dude with cigar fingers tossing his tracks fearlessly out there into the wild -- they in turn should be inspired by the fact that they can certainly do no worse. Most folks can probably top a 28 subscriber youtube channel in less than the two years it has taken me! I'm not bitter nor do I take myself too seriously.

Busking also reminds me of our local Mexican restaurants (I love Mexican food, culture, people, everything) with the table side mariachi players. I'm there having margaritas with friends/family and here comes trumpets, shouting vocals (AhhHaa!!), and Oom-pah-pah rhythms. We can't carry on a conversation now, and you just interrupted us for a song request and follow-on tip. There's a time and place for everything. Yeah, there's got to be a better way to play out in the wild than busking.   

Offline woodsy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2020, 12:57:21 am »
Subway busking and money rolling in. Heck she even has
a performer's permit.

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2020, 08:32:23 am »
I've busked two or three times and was very lucky - until recently - that there were 3-4 busking "festivals" in towns near me. Typically you just turned up, chose your pitch and started to play. It was nice because across the town were lots of people doing the same thing. The hardest part was starting AND then you realise - given it's busking - most people will just pass by. It's always quite nice though if you get a few people stop and listen to a particular song. Definitely quite a chilled out way to start performing.

Here's the only clip I've got of me busking from 2016

Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2020, 05:46:53 pm »
I can get behind a busker's festival. Winning idea!

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2020, 09:46:08 pm »
I've busked two or three times and was very lucky - until recently - that there were 3-4 busking "festivals" in towns near me. Typically you just turned up, chose your pitch and started to play. It was nice because across the town were lots of people doing the same thing. The hardest part was starting AND then you realise - given it's busking - most people will just pass by. It's always quite nice though if you get a few people stop and listen to a particular song. Definitely quite a chilled out way to start performing.

Here's the only clip I've got of me busking from 2016

Vibes Rossco that was cool, thanks for sharing that.  I like the way you set up the camera looking out rather than just in at you.  Gives a good picture of the landscape.    We have busking festivals here also and one that's not too far from me.  I'll definitely look into that.  Your video looks so chilled out and relaxed.  I like it.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2020, 09:50:59 pm »
Subway busking and money rolling in. Heck she even has
a performer's permit.

That was captivating!  Right at the end reminded me of Lindsay Buckingham playing Big Love.   I'd stand and watch her for sure!

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
    • Instagram
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2020, 09:57:54 pm »
I may have helped by planting a seed, I'm sure others chimed in as well, but all credit goes to you. You can really play guitar, my friend!

The greatest inspiration that I can bring to the table is for people to observe an opinionated old croaky voiced dude with cigar fingers tossing his tracks fearlessly out there into the wild -- they in turn should be inspired by the fact that they can certainly do no worse. Most folks can probably top a 28 subscriber youtube channel in less than the two years it has taken me! I'm not bitter nor do I take myself too seriously.

Busking also reminds me of our local Mexican restaurants (I love Mexican food, culture, people, everything) with the table side mariachi players. I'm there having margaritas with friends/family and here comes trumpets, shouting vocals (AhhHaa!!), and Oom-pah-pah rhythms. We can't carry on a conversation now, and you just interrupted us for a song request and follow-on tip. There's a time and place for everything. Yeah, there's got to be a better way to play out in the wild than busking.

Thanks Clint.  I'm with you on Mexican food culture etc!   I can just see the look on your face trying to have a conversation and some little Mexican sticks his trumpet in your face.   >:(  They sure get into their music!
You have 28 subs, I have 20.. lol we're killing it!   Like and subscribe!  ;)   
Thanks for your motivation words mate!

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2020, 11:21:42 pm »

You have 28 subs, I have 20.. lol we're killing it!   Like and subscribe!  ;)   

What does that mean?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App