Author Topic: GrowlingDog's Road Case  (Read 3427 times)

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 17
GrowlingDog's Road Case
« on: September 04, 2020, 11:59:18 pm »
I first picked up a guitar when I was about 6, on and off I have dabbled ever since but never got beyond strumming a few chords badly.

I am fairly musical, i play keyboard and organ.  I'm a Church organist.  I can also play brass, those with valves anyway.

I played bass in a band for a few years and wanted to learn guitar but never got around to study it properly.

I sold my basses and just kept my acoustic guitar.

The time has come to master it.  I have found Justinguitar and the teaching style seems to suit me.   My fingers hurt at the moment, once they are used to playing hopefully I will progress a big quicker.

I have my Art & Lutherie acoustic guitar, an DC a couple of Makala Uke's on my office wall.

I have an Epiphone LP Studio on the way, my keyboard has a guitar input with loads of Amp styles so I will use that until I get an Amp.

That's it for now.  I'll update as things progress.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
Re: GrowlingDog's Road Case
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 03:24:43 am »
Hi Growlingdog, great to see you have decided to run your own roadcase, especially that you are just beginning with your guitar journey. Keep it up to date with some cool posts from time to time and I am sure it will be a great place for you to revisit and to see how you progressed over a period of time. And for us as well a wee bit of insight into your journey :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 05:00:27 am »
What an interesting read Growling Dog BTW love your user name. If you were a dog, what breed would you be?

You've got music flowing through you veins and a great deal of experience and knowledge. Did I read on another thread that you were a bell ringer and now have a set of hand bells?

Your set up looks and sound great.

I'll enjoy your updates and I certainly do wish you joy in your music making of all kinds.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:29:06 am »

What an interesting read Growling Dog BTW love your user name. If you were a dog, what breed would you be?

I would be a boxer.  We love Boxers and have always had at least one in the house, usually two.

Did I read on another thread that you were a bell ringer and now have a set of hand bells?

Yes, I used to ring tower bells, now just hand bells.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 02:33:32 pm »
Wishing you well as you embark on the adventure that is learning the guitar, GrowlingDog. Lovely picture. Look forward to tracking the progress with you as you go along.

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 12:43:26 pm »
Welcome to the forums and it's great to see your setup. If you are musical then, once you get your fingers behaving, I suspect you will pick it up quite quickly.

It's great to see your music space and I look forward to hearing about your new musical adventures once the LP arrives.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 05:17:30 pm »
Nice setup you have there.
Interested to see how you progress and get along with the course.

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 06:35:07 pm »
Welcome to the fray! Looking forward to hearing your music in the future.

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 08:29:58 am »
Now to learn to play it properly. :)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 08:36:41 am »
That is one heck of a music room Mr Dog.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you have many years of learning and enjoyment with us.
:)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 10:53:21 am »
Have fun learning to play the new Epi LP, GrowlingDog

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 07:44:22 pm »
Added another guitar to the collection.

This is an Eastcoast Strat style.  It's been previously owned by a guy who used to be a pro guitarist, he bought this now  he has retired but his fingers and brain no longer function as well as they used to so he has decided to stop playing, shame really, he gave me a demo and sounded pretty amazing to me.  He also is a wizard at setting up guitars, the action on this is really low compared to my other guitars, it is really easy to play.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:12 pm »
Added another guitar to the collection.

This is an Eastcoast Strat style.  It's been previously owned by a guy who used to be a pro guitarist, he bought this now  he has retired but his fingers and brain no longer function as well as they used to so he has decided to stop playing, shame really, he gave me a demo and sounded pretty amazing to me.  He also is a wizard at setting up guitars, the action on this is really low compared to my other guitars, it is really easy to play.

Very happy for you GD, what a fine acquisition to what is already a wonderland of instruments. I wonder how the muso feels selling his gear and ending his relationship with life as a pro player?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 11:19:05 pm by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 01:18:04 am »
Very happy for you GD, what a fine acquisition to what is already a wonderland of instruments. I wonder how the muso feels selling his gear and ending his relationship with life as a pro player?
He was obviously sad, but seemed able to accept it.  He was nearly 80, I suppose it comes to us all.

He said he is keeping two guitars, a Les Paul and a Dean Semi hollow that he had hanging on the walls, but the rest were going as he just can't play well enough now to keep them.

I've enjoyed playing it today.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 02:24:18 am »
He was obviously sad, but seemed able to accept it.  He was nearly 80, I suppose it comes to us all.

He said he is keeping two guitars, a Les Paul and a Dean Semi hollow that he had hanging on the walls, but the rest were going as he just can't play well enough now to keep them.

I've enjoyed playing it today.

That's useful info GD, thankyou for that. I'm glad he's kept two guitars.

Offline phx1973

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 04:36:01 pm »
Hey GD, great collection you have going here. Between the LP and the Strat (and of course your acoustics) you should have access to all the tones you are looking for. Thanks for sharing your roadcase.

Tosh
Currently studying Intermediate Foundation 2

Fender Telecaster, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Martin 000-X2E, Fender Blues Junior IV

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 81
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 04:54:50 pm »
I first picked up a guitar when I was about 6, on and off I have dabbled ever since but never got beyond strumming a few chords badly...I am fairly musical, i play keyboard and organ.  I'm a Church organist.  I can also play brass, those with valves anyway...The time has come to master it.

Nice music room setup!

Your background with other instruments will, no doubt, stand you in good stead as you learn guitar. Justin's instruction program is quite good. Since you read standard notation, you might consider supplementing the Justin material with some reading studies for guitar. That's not essential, I suppose, but I found guitar reading studies useful (piano was my first instrument, so like you I came to guitar with reading and theory already under my belt). I used the ones from Berklee Press (by William Leavitt -- his A Modern Method For Guitar is also good for reading studies).

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 09:19:34 pm »
A silly little addition.

I have asked Santa for a Boss Katana 50 MkII, so thought this would at least make a noise for a while.

Its not bad, it does as much as I expected and it will make a nice ornament when I no longer need it.

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 09:45:36 pm »
Nice. They do make great ornaments!

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 12:10:59 am »
Great music room, gives me some ideas.  Cool to read about your journey GD, and those guitars look sweet! 

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 03:51:35 pm »
Nice to read your Roadcase, Steve. You have a good musical history. And now adding another instrument. Best wishes on your journey to learn guitar. I know you will do well. Looking forward to hear from you again.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 11:15:22 pm »
After much deliberation my Wife decided which Amp I was getting.

It was between the 50 and the 100, but she decided if I got the 50, which is a bit cheaper she would buy me a nice new acoustic for Christmas.  I have my eye on a Taylor Big Baby.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 11:21:49 pm »
After much deliberation my Wife decided which Amp I was getting.

It was between the 50 and the 100, but she decided if I got the 50, which is a bit cheaper she would buy me a nice new acoustic for Christmas.  I have my eye on a Taylor Big Baby.

She's a keeper your wife!   You have to be happy with that compromise.   With 'nice new acoustic' is the deal it's always gonna be a winner!
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 08:35:35 am »
Mrs Dog sure sounds like she's helping you build up a fine collection.
Taylor BB = nice one. Come on Santa!

:)

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 81
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 09:34:04 am »

That sounds like an excellent compromise! (And a Taylor Big Baby is a solid choice.)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App