Author Topic: Majik's Road Case  (Read 11264 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Majik's Road Case
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2021, 01:32:22 pm »
Thanks for another round of RC updates, Keith. Always interesting to read about these devices and what they can do.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2021, 02:00:04 pm »
I was very, very interested in the GT-001 as a desktop option - which is the route I wanted to take with my minimalist no amp setup so that makes for very interesting reading Keith. I opted for a cheaper, tried and trusted revisit to a Zoom G3 that I found 2nd hand at a good price locally. But the GT-001 did come close to being mine.

I have to admit Richard I really like the Zoom G3. As an intro to MFX it was very good one and worked well. My Zoom G5 was even better BUT unfortunately died  :( I think if you'd been angling at the Boss equivalent it would have been the Boss GT1, effectively the floor variant of the GT-001 which also has the old Boss GT100 engine in it.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2021, 03:05:43 pm »
Whilst the effects and modelling engine of the GT-1 is, I think, the same as the GT-100 and GT-001, the GT-1 is very much a cut-down version in many ways. For instance you only have 1 pre-amp per patch and can't split the chain, and there's fewer effects block available to you in the chain. You also can't re-amp on the GT-1, nor use it with a microphone.

Because of that, the GT-1 has it's own, specific, version of the Boss Tone Studio, whilst the GT-001 shares the same version as the GT-100.

The GT-1 is a great little pedal, but it's not as powerful as the GT-001.

I also have the GT-1 and I plan to make a post in my Road Case about it sooner or later.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2021, 03:08:47 pm »
Thank for the well writen reviews Keith and thank for you work on Linux.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2021, 04:16:27 pm »
Great stuff Keith, always interesting to read about fx side of guitar play.

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2021, 04:24:50 pm »
I have to admit Richard I really like the Zoom G3. ... I think if you'd been angling at the Boss equivalent ...

I knew and liked the Zoom G3 very much from earlier days. It is a great unit.
I wasn't looking at Boss equivalents ... I was really looking at options for desktop multi-fx units.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2021, 11:34:50 pm »
Cool gear I saw passing by and these reviews are very insightful; thanks.

boys and their toys; we'll never change ;)

Thanks Lieven. Yes, that is very true!

Thanks for another round of RC updates, Keith. Always interesting to read about these devices and what they can do.

Thanks David. As ever, if you have any specific, or general, questions about any of this stuff, just ask.

Great stuff Keith, always interesting to read about fx side of guitar play.

Yes, it's an area of interest to me. Probably, in part, it's because I'm an Engineer so the use of technology to solve problems or create something interesting fascinates me.

Thank for the well writen reviews Keith and thank for you work on Linux.

Thanks Stitch. Of course, you are now a Linux user too!

Contributing back to the community is part of the philosophy of Open Source. In many ways it's a bit like this forum. The word "Ubuntu" translates, roughly, to "I am because we are".

If anyone uses Linux and has, or is considering getting, any of these devices (the Katana being the most common), kernel 5.11 is due to arrive in Ubuntu 21.04 on 22nd April 2021, and will be backported to Ubuntu 20.04 in the summer at some point.

Any distros that are based on Ubuntu (Mint, Neon, etc.) should get it at the same time.

It's also being tested for Fedora 34 which is expected April 20th 2021.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2021, 08:09:18 am »
Thanks David. As ever, if you have any specific, or general, questions about any of this stuff, just ask.

Contributing back to the community is part of the philosophy of Open Source. In many ways it's a bit like this forum. The word "Ubuntu" translates, roughly, to "I am because we are".

Thanks Keith. Should I have a need I shall gladly take you up on that.

As a South African, reference to Ubunto naturally caught my eye, more from the culture/philosophical perspective than it's use in the Open Source community. My understanding is ever so slightly different ... it is part of a bigger expression that roughly means "I am because you are". As I say, a slight difference but perhaps significant?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2021, 12:43:48 pm »
Roland Studio Canvas SD-50

This is a bit of an unusual one.

The story behind this is that a friend of mine has a covers band. I often used help them with their sound and lights, and he would always ask me for gear recommendations. Several years ago, their keyboard player had a reasonable keyboard synth, but it didn't really have a couple of sounds they needed. In particular, they were after something which gave them the synth sound from Van Halen's "Jump".

I did a bit of research and recommended this synth module: it could plug into his existing keyboard via MIDI, it had a pretty good Jump synth sound, as well as a range of decent electric piano sounds that they liked, and a second-hand one could be bought reasonably cheaply off eBay.

So they bought it and used it for a few years until the keyboard player left the band. They got a new keyboard player and he had a newer keyboard that had all the sounds they need so it got stuck in a cupboard.

A few years later when he was clearing out his cupboard, my friend found this and asked me if I wanted it, for free. He couldn't be bothered to eBay it, and he thought I would have some fun with it.

So that's how I ended up with it.

It's basically a MIDI GS Synth module, but it also has a bunch of other goodies in it too. For instance, you can plug a USB stick containing MIDI tracks into it and play them. You could use this, for instance, for backing tracks (although, being MIDI backing tracks, they might be a bit cheesy).

It's USB powered, but can also run off batteries or a power supply so you can use it independently of a computer as a synth module connected to a MIDI keyboard.

If you do connect it to a computer, it supports USB MIDI both as a MIDI synth, and as a MIDI I/O device, so you can use it as a MIDI interface for your computer. It also has an audio capture input that is switchable between mic or instrument, so you can use it as an audio interface. It has a Hi-Z setting so you can jack a guitar directly into it, and I have done this in the past. It doesn't have any amp emulation so you need to do that in software.

It's quite old in terms of synthesizer technology and it doesn't have any patch editing capability other than basic add-on effects like chorus and reverb. These days, for many of the patches you are better off using software synths or samplers, but it does have some great sounds; the piano and drum patches are very good, coming from the Roland digital piano and vDrum series.

If anyone is interested, here's a Youtube video of someone exploring some of the sounds:

I really don't use it much because, as I say, it's usually more convenient and often better to just use software synth plugins these days, but I do occasionally have a play with it or find a use for it. One of the more interesting capabilities it has is that the output from the synth can be configured to appear on the USB bus as an audio input. That means you can play a MIDI track to it and capture the resulting audio output directly just using a USB cable. Not many modern synths do that.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 03:23:14 pm by Majik »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2021, 01:27:30 pm »
In my best Mr Spock ... Fascinating, Keith.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2021, 03:24:11 pm »
I've added a Youtube video of someone going through some of the sounds on the SD-50 to the post above, if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2021, 01:32:45 pm »
A quick update. I've recently had some discussions with GregB on pedalboards. I originally built my minimal pedalboard, which I keep in my office connected to my Katana amp, a couple of years ago. I built this with a Boss RC-3 looper but, since then, I've replaced this with a Digitech Trio+.

When I did this, I didn't have any spare Evidence Audio connectors to make one of the new cables I needed, so I just whacked in a standard patch cable,and it's been like that for a while:

I had considered getting the FS3X footswitch for the Trio+ but had never got around to it, but my exchange with GregB inspired me to explore this.

The Digitech FS3X is quite physically big, and I really couldn't fit it on my pedalboard, so I got the compatible pedal from Bright Onion Pedals which is still a squeeze, but does fit. I also got some new Evidence Audio connectors and made up a new cable. This is how it looks now:

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2021, 01:41:52 pm »
Looks great, Keith.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it.
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2021, 01:48:53 pm »
This is interresting.

I have a question: what is the function of the footswitch, if you have pedals on your board?
We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2021, 02:52:44 pm »
This is interresting.

I have a question: what is the function of the footswitch, if you have pedals on your board?

The Digitech FS3X has three modes:

ModeSW1 functionSW2 functionSW3 function
LiveNext/Prev StyleNext Part/Select count inAlt Time mode
Live MixerMute BassMte DrumsMute Drums and Bass
TabletopSame as Trio+ SW1Next Part/Select count inSame as Trio+ SW2

One use for the footswitch is to replicate the functionality of the unit's footswitches so you can place the two apart from each other (for instance, have the Trio+ within each reach of your hands, and the FS3X so you can use your feet to trigger it). But the other use is to extend the functionality as in the Live and Live Mixer modes.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it.
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2021, 03:29:49 pm »
Allright.

Thank you for the explanation.
We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so

Get The Forum As A Mobile App