Author Topic: Squier Bullet Mustang or other?  (Read 557 times)

Offline mtthieu

• Good Vibes 0
Squier Bullet Mustang or other?
« on: August 28, 2020, 11:42:20 am »
Regarding the guitar. Avoid the Bullet series, cheap and nasty.

The lowest entry level Squier worth bothering with is the Affinity.

The Standard has been discontinued, although there are probably some still around. The Standard seems to have been replaced by the Contemporary series. I haven't seen one so can't comment.

The Classic Vibe series is well worth the money.

Do not buy a pack (guitar and amp bundle)

Okay Interesting! I've just found a like new £75 Fender Stratocaster Squier Affinity on the Facebook Marketplace!
Seems like a pretty good deal!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Squier Bullet Mustang or other?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 12:40:24 pm »
The Bullet Mustang is one exception to the usual rule about the Bullet series, it’s not terrible but Affinity series are much better generally speaking. A very good alternative if you’re prepared to buy online is a Harley Benton from Thomann, they do pretty decent Strat, Tele and many other decent copies. If you have a budget in mind including an amp then we could give you a few options for consideration.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Ryan_Briggs

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 01:16:55 pm »
Harley Benton is unbeatable for low budget guitars and would blow a cheap Squire out of the water. $200 gets you a long way with them. Next step is the amp, a garbage one will make even the best guitar sound like poo. The boss katana rocks and can be found used for cheap.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 07:00:06 pm »
Yamaha pacifica anyone?

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 04:31:29 pm »
...I'm thinking of buying myself an electric guitar...Regarding the genre I'd like to play, I'm a huge fan of David Gilmour...Anyway, I am currently looking at the "Squier Bullet Mustang HH"...

I don't have any personal experience with that particular guitar, but the "Bullet" Squier guitars have a reputation for being iffy. That's not to say you couldn't find one that that is fine, but at that price point quality control may be cursory, at best.

Since you like Gilmour, you might look at strat-style guitars. He played other types of guitars, too, but he's probably most associated with strats.

In the Squire line, you might consider an Affinity Stratocaster or (if you can stretch your budget) a Classic Vibe Stratocaster. You could also look at Yamaha's Pacifica line in the 100/200 series (I think most of those are "super strat" style, with bridge humbucker pickups, but I also think they have coil splits).

Now, in Justin's guitar buying guide he mentions that buying an amp is not really necessary and that one can do pretty well with software...If so, what would be a good "audio interface" (something very cheap if possible) or would I be fine using my integrated audio interface of my PC? Could they substitute an amp?

For starting out, you can get by with a software amp (e.g., Amplitube, BIAS, and Ignite all have free amp sims), but I suspect you'll want a standalone amp at some point. You'll almost certainly need an interface if you want to use a software amp. As Majik mentioned, Behringer makes some inexpensive interfaces that would work. Moving up in budget, Focusrite interfaces are quite popular.

I agree with the advice to avoid buying a guitar starter pack. They're usually a poor value, overall.

When you're on a truly limited budget and want to get started, my advice is to spend your initial budget on the guitar, and then start saving up for an amp. While you're saving for an amp, you can practice without an amp, or get an inexpensive interface and use a free software amp.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App