Author Topic: Volume 2 of major scale?  (Read 635 times)

Offline Sudharshan

• Good Vibes 0
Volume 2 of major scale?
« on: August 25, 2020, 02:36:20 am »
Hello everyone, this is my first time using this forum so I apologize before hand If' I'm not using it properly. I just wanted to know if there is a volume 2 of Master the Major Scale digital course. I ask this because I bought the course and I am almost done with it but towards the end of the final lesson, Justin says that in volume 2 of Master the Major Scales, there will be lessons on changing the key of a scale etc. which I really want to learn. However, I'm not able to find such a volume on the website. If it does exist, can someone please point me in the right direction?

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 213
Re: Volume 2 of major scale?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 05:36:35 am »
Welcome to the forum.
Changing the key of any scale is very easy. In the MTMS if I remember correctly
Justin teaches it in the key of G in all 5 patterns. 
To change key all you need to do is  move the root note to another
note.
So if you want the scale to be in the key of A you move the whole pattern up two
frets and start the pattern on the A note (5th fret on the E string)
You can do this with all scales in all patterns.

I recommend you look up the lesson on the web site on the CAGED system.
This will help explain how the scales and chords can move all over the neck
to play every scales in every key using the 5 pattern in the CAGED System.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 562
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 07:10:23 am »
Welcome to the forum.
Hope fully stitch has in some way helped with part of your questions.
As to the other part, there is no MTMS 2 I'm afraid.
Justin has so many projects and this got put aside.

Offline Sudharshan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 06:25:28 am »
Thank you for the replies! Can someone point me to Justin's CAGED system lesson? Thanks!
Also, if for example I want to play in the key of A Major, I'd have to move all my shapes a whole tone up the guitar or two frets up the guitar right? What if (I know this sounds ridiculously stupid) I run out of frets that is, I reach the the last frets when playing my patterns in A major? Will the next pattern start from the first fret of the guitar? Thanks again!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 562
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 10:10:09 am »
@Sudharshan.
That is a good question - what to do when you run out of room moving up the neck?

First things first ... the shapes / patterns of the major scale that Justin teaches follows the CAGED system.
In the key of G major, the scale Justin teaches first is the 'E-shape' ... E being the E from CAGED.
This is the lowest possible full shape / pattern on the guitar neck.
The neck shape up the neck is the D shape.
Then the C-shape.
Then the A-shape.
Then the G-shape ... again ... an octave above the one that starts at fret 3.
The order of CAGED has been shifted around and becomes EDCAG when looking at the key of G major and the scale shapes from lowest to highest on the guitar neck.
There are notes below those in the E-shape on the guitar neck that are in the key of G, of course. But there is no possibility of playing an entire shape below that initial E shape pattern.

Now consider the key of A.
You may naturally transfer your knowledge and start with the E-shape based around fret 5. So above that you would move to a D-shape, a C-shape, and A-shape, a G-shape then another (octave repeat) E-shape. Then you may be running out of room.
Crucially you have encountered another E-shape based around fret 17. And immediately below that was a G-shape A major scale.
That surely means that below fret 5, the place you started, there is also a G-shape you can play for the A major scale. And there is.

I would like you to try to answer this question by exploring this idea - Can you go any lower than this for an A major scale?

Further, as you explore different keys, it is an extremely useful exercise to map out all possible shapes across the entire fretboard.
For any given major scale / key what is the lowest entire shape that is available on the guitar neck? Find these things out for yourself and you will be helping your understanding takes massive leaps.

A supplementary to that would be, given that you do not want to be bound by shapes in the long run, how can you play notes (including open strings) below these 'lowest possible shapes' within any given key?

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 213
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 06:04:30 pm »
Thank you for the replies! Can someone point me to Justin's CAGED system lesson? Thanks!
Also, if for example I want to play in the key of A Major, I'd have to move all my shapes a whole tone up the guitar or two frets up the guitar right? What if (I know this sounds ridiculously stupid) I run out of frets that is, I reach the the last frets when playing my patterns in A major? Will the next pattern start from the first fret of the guitar? Thanks again!

Type CAGED in the search on Justin's website.  There are 7 lesson that will open up the
neck of the guitar and how it is laid out.

To add to close2u's post the guitar neck repeats every 12 frets.
So the CAGED shape repeat after you reach 12 frets higher from your starting point.
Every 5 frets the note repeat on the next string.
So if you start on the A note on the E string the next string is the A string.
The 5th fret of the A string is the note D and the next string is the D string.
The 5th fret of the D string is the note G and the next string is the G string.
The 5th fretof the G string is the note C But the next string is B this is because
equal temperament tuning. Someone is going to ask do I figured I'd put it out there.
Think of it like leap year or look it up on google.
The 5th fret on the B string is E we're back to where we started.

Notice the 6 strings on the guitar almost spell CAGED the B string screws that but
If you allow for it you will understand the neck of the guitar.
The root note of each shape in the system is on the string baring it shapes name.

I know some of will be saying "wait the lowest Root of the G shape is on the E string"
Yes it is but it is also on the G string and when soloing how often do you play the
Thickest 2 strings.

Sorry didn't mean to make this post a lecture on the guitar neck it just happened
Hope it helps some one understand the neck a little more.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App