Author Topic: Telecaster - T body buying advice request  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Telecaster - T body buying advice request
« on: August 12, 2020, 01:24:48 pm »
Hi all,
I am playing quite a lot right now and like the my actual electric guitar setup:
- Tokai ALC60BB Traditional Series LP custom style guitar (had a great deal on hat, for me great value for money)
- Line 6 Spider Mk II V30 (happy with that as well)

But, I would like to add something that is completely different.
Also because I am going back and forth between two places and not feeling like hauling the gear all the time. Want to have a "plug and play" set in both places.

So I am looking at a Telecaster / T body guitar to add:
- value for money
- Either S/S or S/H (I am looking for a completely different sound / telecaster sound. So a duel Humbucker is not an option, I have the LP style for that)
- Not a "purist" and actually like the individual saddles more that the "ashtray" with the vintage saddle bridge. Tuneability and stability advantage.
- Hardtail
- Either black or sunburst finish
- Budget approx €600

Also looking at a decent quality battery option additional practice amp. But that is a secondary topic.

I want to buy in/from a local shop, as that is a lot more convenient for warranty and they will check the finish and setup. Straight out of the box from factory not something I prefer right now.
Options I have my eye on:
Tokai ATE52 (YS Yellow Sunburst)  - can pick that up for €409,- in an offer
Pro:
+ price level with special offer
+ at a store I know and trust
+ allows me to get a nice additional amp within budget
+ in stock
Cons:
- traditional ashtray and saddles
- another Tokai, not diversifying brands and trying something different

ESP LTD TE-254 - *edit, found a local store that has it in stock €445. will be around €489,-
Pros:
+ would like to try an LTD
+ Bridge and individual saddles
+H/S setup pickups
Cons:
- Not a fan of the type of relic finish
- Not in stock
- Not the ESP LTD model that I would pick out of their full line-up, if could have only 1

Fender Player Series Telecaster PF 3TS - can pick that up for €579,- 
Pros:
+ It is a Fender (Mexican)
+ I like the styling and bridge setup
+ In stock at a local shop (nullifies both waiting time and possible issues with build quality and setup)
Cons:
- Most expensive of the 3
- In a different shop I have not used before

I am not really looking to bump up the budget to €1.000 - €1.200 where I can look at a Japanese made Tokai (the one in the list is built in China), a Ron Wood LTD Tele or a US made Fender. That new Chapman ML3 Pro Traditional is also very nice.

So it is narrowed down to these 3 at the moment, where the LTD is at the bottom.
But am open to suggestions. Not a fan of the Squiers, would probably go Tokai over a Squier.

Amp wise, I have my eye on:
- Yamaha THR5 V2 (same shop as the Tokai, but not in stock). That combo would be the €600,- budget.
- Roland Micro Cube GX (same shop as the Fender). That combo would be about €700. Disadvantage is that I do not own an Ios device and with that cannot access all the features of the Micro Cube.

The amp, I want it to be portable, battery option, being able to stream / have an audio input is a big plus as I really like the Justin Guitar app and Yousician to spit the backing track and play over that.
On what I have seen, the Yamaha would be a very versatile option also allowing bluetooth streaming from an audio device.

Build quality is important, I want to stay away from "toy like" items. Should be items that still are enjoyable in may years time, also in case my playing reaches a higher level. Right now, I have it very clear that my playing will be the limiting factor, but that is up to me to improve.

All your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Posting his as it might be useful for others as well, looking at a Tele in this price range.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:57:34 pm by Spike_tm »

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
Re: Telecaster - T body buying advice request
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 02:17:46 pm »
I would take the Fender Player series.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 03:01:15 pm »
If your local shops stock G&L AEAT Tribute series guitars I would definitely look at them.

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 05:02:16 pm »
If your local shops stock G&L AEAT Tribute series guitars I would definitely look at them.
Unfortunately, there is only one official dealer in Spain and they are in Madrid.
That is a bit far out of the way.
Price would be in the same range as the Fender.

I would take the Fender Player series.
Would you be so kind to give a bit more info about why you would choose that one.

Updated the OP, found a local store that has the LTD-254 for €445,-
Another store has a LTD TE-200 for €349,- but that has a HH setup and is not what I am looking for.
Needs to be either SS or SH/HS.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 07:39:02 pm »
At the end of the day we can only tell you what we would do. There is no right or wrong. Based on your locale, I would buy a Harley Benton t-type of your choosing -- sight unseen from Thomann's online catalog of delights. Find one that catches your eye and reel it in. Teles are simple beasts, so you don't need to break the bank to get a good one. They are easy to upgrade if you want to do some mods.

I would also get a Fender Mustang LT25 amp and then call it a day. A very good day!

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 08:01:50 pm »
Would you be so kind to give a bit more info about why you would choose that one.

Sure thing ;)

I haven't played the Tokai, so it's hard for me to have an informed opinion about that one... but you mention already having a Tokai, and it is indeed more fun with some diversity.

I own an ESP Ltd (although a "metal" model, the MH-1000ET) and actually like it very much. So I know they can make great instruments. I'm just not thinking "Telecaster" when thinking about ESP, and this particular model appears to have a humbucker in the neck... which I believe Fender also makes, but for me the traditional single coil neck pickup tone is an important aspect of a Tele. At least if you can "only" have one ;)

I own a Fender American Professional telecaster myself, and that's a top quality instrument - but my dad has a "Fender Player" tele in his collection, and I played it just a few weeks ago. I enjoyed playing it, seemed like quite good quality for the price and felt like a "real" tele to me.

Hope that helps ;)

Cheers,
Kasper

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 09:47:32 pm »
... for me the traditional single coil neck pickup tone is an important aspect of a Tele. At least if you can "only" have one ;)

This is a very important aspect of a Telecaster.
All three pickup selector positions are inimitable.
The lipstick neck pickup is great as a single coil.
In middle position, combined with the bridge pickup, it is a unique tone.
And of course the bridge pickup is unique too.

Get a single / single T-style definitely.
And of the three, if you can't / don't want to look elsewhere then I concur with the choice of the Fender here.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 12:48:10 am »
I'd pick the Fender.

Offline Gabby84

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 02:24:20 am »
Fender player is a solid choice.  If you can find one used in your area, even better.  Personally, enjoy the sound of my tele through a vox amp.  For practice, I have the mini 5.   
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Guild M20

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 07:00:29 am »
You already know what to expect from a Tokai, they’re just so good! But if you want something that’s got a twist:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_90qm_trans_red.htm these are very nice especially at the price point!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 12:48:39 pm »
Sure thing ;)
Hope that helps ;)

Cheers,
Kasper
Sure does, thanks for that.

At the end of the day we can only tell you what we would do. There is no right or wrong. Based on your locale, I would buy a Harley Benton t-type of your choosing -- sight unseen from Thomann's online catalog of delights. Find one that catches your eye and reel it in. Teles are simple beasts, so you don't need to break the bank to get a good one. They are easy to upgrade if you want to do some mods.

I would also get a Fender Mustang LT25 amp and then call it a day. A very good day!
You already know what to expect from a Tokai, they’re just so good! But if you want something that’s got a twist:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_90qm_trans_red.htm these are very nice especially at the price point!
Had a look, found this one:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_te_70_black_paisley.htm
But doesn´t really give me what I am looking for.
Had a look at the Thomman site, it is actually more expensive than the local shops here, local shops also offer me free shipping and service. Am willing to spend a bit more to support local shops, especially in these times, but it seems it will even save me something buying locally.

That Fender Mustang LT25 is an interesting one, inexpensive and would go very nicely with the Tele.
Also allows to differentiate a bit from the Spider I have. Not the size and streaming capabilities, but for sure within the top 3 amps I am looking at to go with the guitar. Might decide that one in the shop.

Fender player is a solid choice.  If you can find one used in your area, even better.  Personally, enjoy the sound of my tele through a vox amp.  For practice, I have the mini 5.   
I'd pick the Fender.
This is a very important aspect of a Telecaster.
All three pickup selector positions are inimitable.
The lipstick neck pickup is great as a single coil.
In middle position, combined with the bridge pickup, it is a unique tone.
And of course the bridge pickup is unique too.

Get a single / single T-style definitely.
And of the three, if you can't / don't want to look elsewhere then I concur with the choice of the Fender here.
I only want to get 1 tele style guitar, so it makes sense getting the most out of what I am willing to spend. Not looking to get a massive number of guitars. Just a couple of good ones that will last.
Leads me to that Fender. The two single pickups, bridge and individual saddles I prefer, like the Sunburst finish. So will go for that one. Can get it locally as well, that is an additional bonus.

Thanks to all for the feedback and the advice!

Offline Gabby84

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 03:49:16 pm »
solid choice.   I hope to see photos of your new guitar once purchased?  next step-what amp?   equally, if not more important, than the guitar. 
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Guild M20

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 01:42:22 pm »
solid choice.   I hope to see photos of your new guitar once purchased?  next step-what amp?   equally, if not more important, than the guitar.
Need to check the Covid restrictions and stuff like that to see when I can drop into the store and go and get it.
Amp wise, I am looking at the Yamaha THR10v2(W)  or the Vox Adio Air GT.
Both are out of budget really, but the Yamaha in the W specs with the transmitter (sold separately) is double the price of the Vox. If I drop the wireless requirement, I still need to get the W spec Yamaha to keep the battery option. About €170,- more than the Vox. The "base" model THR10v2 is still €70 more than the Vox.
That is a big difference, with the guitar also being a bit over budget.
Tone wise, spec wise, I like the Vox as well. The styling is also not a turn off, as it is for some people.

I want the tones to be nice out of the box, mainly to go well with the Tele (but also to blend well with the double humbucker LP style Tokai).
For a deep dive into tones, effects, and hours of playing around with that, I already have the Spider.

The blackstar Fly3 is a lot cheaper, but also looks like it and sounds like it. The Katana air doesn't really appeal to me and in the sound comparisons I checked, was quite a lot behind on the THR and the Vox.
Had a look at the Roland micro cube as well, but doesn't thick all the boxes and is really IOs heavy and I don't have an IOs devive.

The Vox, with the interfaces, streaming, sound, portability with the battery option, styling is on the top of my list right now.

Just need to scrape together and justify the "my birthday and Christmas all came on the same day and early this year" spending. Especially as it is a luxury, not a need. I already have a pretty decent setup as it is.

Like I mentioned before, I am not looking for quantity. If I get something additional, it needs to have an added value and be something the I will still really enjoy if I manage to reach a much higher skill level in 5 years time.
That right now the limiting factor to get great sounds will be my skills is clear, but I want to build my skill to match the tools. Not get limited by the tools as I improve.

Plus, it is also the main decoration in my home, I don't do paintings or stuff like that, so the looks also matter. Use some of the decoration budget ;)

Offline Gabby84

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 05:30:40 pm »
What country are you in?  I own the vox mini5 and love it!  Has what I need, including the ability to play with sounds.  Also, the vox ac2.  It’s about the size of the fly-but give that vox tone in a tiny package.  The mini3 gets great reviews as well.   

MIJ Fender Telecaster
Guild M20

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 08:49:29 pm »
What country are you in?  I own the vox mini5 and love it!  Has what I need, including the ability to play with sounds.  Also, the vox ac2.  It’s about the size of the fly-but give that vox tone in a tiny package.  The mini3 gets great reviews as well.
Thx for the tip, will have a look.
I'm in Spain and live in the middle of nowhere. No post or package delivery at the house. Have a PO box in the nearest village, but can't receive packages there (only opens one hour a day).
So if I do order something, needs to be delivered at a local shop in the village where I know the owner and he lets me receive stuff there, or at my work.
Shop is closed for holidays and I am on vacation until the end of the month.
So that limits my options a bit.

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 01:56:51 pm »
Well, I went on a shopping trip:
- Fender player series telecaster with the pf fret board
- Vox Adio Air GT
- Cable
- Guitar stand

So I guess I spent Christmas, birthday and vacation money all at the same time.

Will try to take a picture later, after I have spent some time playing around with it.

Thx for the advice everyone.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 03:49:43 pm »
Ooh .. happy NGD, NAD, and all the other bits n bobs day too.

:)

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 07:27:00 pm »
Just took a quick picture:

Really happy so far with both the guitar and the amp.
Can absolutely recommend both.
The sound out of the Vox and the tones are really good, especially for it's purpose.
Buy a decent Bluetooth speaker and you spend nearly the same, this has an awesome guitar amp included.

Being able to adjust de sounds of the audio and guitar independently directly on the amp makes it great for playing along with your favorite songs, over backing tracks, etc. You can stream those via Bluetooth, use the aux in or USB.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 10:00:53 pm »
Sweet! Congrats on the guitar and amp.

Offline Gabby84

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 07:37:24 am »
Gorgeous tele!  Love the vox amp, too! 
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Guild M20

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 12:59:03 pm »
Happy NBD. You can't beat it.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline RC23

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 01:30:23 pm »
Congrats, great looking guitar.
Beginner Course (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Standard Strat, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, Joyo JTA-05

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 02:18:06 pm »
Nice score! You can get a lot of nice music out of that rig.

Offline Spike_tm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 03:39:34 pm »
Nice score! You can get a lot of nice music out of that rig.
Thanks, for sure if will not be the rig´s fault if what comes out of it doesn´t sound like nice music  ;D

Again, thanks to everyone for both the advice before and the nice remarks after the purchase.

Offline Gabby84

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 10:58:27 pm »
welcome!  if you got even more hooked on teles-there is an entire forum about just this guitar.  its TDPRI forum.

tons of tele love there, of all brands.
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Guild M20

Get The Forum As A Mobile App