Author Topic: B2-1207 Awesome power chord songs  (Read 1046 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:34:00 am by close2u »

Offline guitalias

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: B2-1207 Awesome power chord songs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 10:58:04 pm »
Great to see threads for new Beginner course back again, thx close2u.
What power chord songs are new beginners thinking of for practice? I'm going to revisit 7 ntn army, but going to look into other White Stripes, QOTSA, Foos, Green Day

Offline 6string

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:10:06 am »
This week I shall mostly be practising “Just what I needed" by the Cars. Great for sliding, X-string and muting power chords. And, I was horrified to find, about 40 years old.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 11:11:26 am »
What power chord songs are new beginners thinking of for practice? I'm going to revisit 7 ntn army, but going to look into other White Stripes, QOTSA, Foos, Green Day
Try many Nirvana and Green Day songs. If you are a true beginner I would strongly suggest Drain You, great song and all based around power chords. If you feel confident enough try to figure out chords by listening rather than checking chords in the internet! To give you a small guidance - there is only one power chord with root note on a 5th string, I tend to play the rest with root on 6th :) Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Volus

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 11:35:23 am »
I'm going with Song 2, Molly's Lips and Cocaine, reason being, I feel like I have  gone backwards a little bit. Seems really odd that I am battling a bit with power chords...then again. I have been practicing open chords for months and months...just need patience. Slow it down lol. Blitzkrieg Bop seems simple enough as well. Will do some digging and see what I come up with.

Offline MightyBeancurd

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 05:05:44 pm »
I'm doing Blitzkreig Bop and Anarchy in the UK. Also been trying the intro to Talk Dirty to Me by Poison which is a fun one to attempt (although needs to be tuned down half a step for the original).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:25:23 pm by MightyBeancurd »

Offline DonnatheDead

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 01:57:36 am »
I started with Eric Clapton- Cocaine, but for some reason I lost interest. Since I had a great time with the Enter Sandman riff, I decided to work on the rest of this song. It's a pretty hefty undertaking for my level, but I'm following Justin's advice to learn one riff at a time. My goal is to go through the video and write out the tab for each riff. I want to try each one at least once by the end of this week. I will try to achieve decent mastery of the first 5 riffs before moving on to Lesson 13, and I'll get back to the rest during the "consolidation" phase. I'm really psyched to finally be learning rock and metal techniques, but I'm also a bit intimidated by the power chords. I can't put my finger on what's going on, but I feel a bit stuck right now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:53:34 pm by DonnatheDead »

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 10:02:23 am »
It's just a muscle memory that needs to kick in, give yourself some time and you will figure it out I am sure :) patience is key!

Keep on rockin' my friends

Get The Forum As A Mobile App