Author Topic: B2-1203 Palm muting  (Read 683 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
B2-1203 Palm muting
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:18:44 am »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:30:52 am by close2u »

Offline ZimaBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: B2-1203 Palm muting
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 09:33:30 pm »
Regarding the picking hand muting technique:

Is there a clear distinction on when (and when not) to mute with our picking hand while playing melodies and chords together?

E.g. Justin recently posted a lesson on "Black" by Pearl Jam and I was wondering about the melody part at the end that blends with D(6), Cmaj7 and Em respectively. Are we supposed to mute strings E-G with our picking hand while playing the melody part (and switch to not muting as soon as we hit the respective chords)? Or do we just play the melody part with the picking hand "floating"?
I also wondered this when learning the Beginner's Blues Solo, which uses chords and melody together as well.

I'd be grateful for any help! ;D

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:58:17 am by ZimaBlue »

Offline nkjays

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 07:14:23 pm »
I'm struggling to find a comfortable arm position for doing palm muting. My typical strumming position has the side of my Elbow against the top corner of the guitar (I have an Ibanez GSA 60) with my wrist slightly bent in while strumming. However to get the palm close enough to the strings to mute, I end up having to move my arm back to where its just the forearm touching the guitar so that my palm can actually touch the strings.

It might just be a tension issue, but my forearm gets really sore after doing the palm muting for more than a few minutes. Any suggestions?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:16:54 am »
Have you tried adjusting your overall body posture or your guitar position or the neck angle or wearing a strap to keep it held up? Make sure the guitar is upright against you not leaning backwards. What about standing?

Offline nkjays

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 01:46:04 pm »
Have you tried adjusting your overall body posture or your guitar position or the neck angle or wearing a strap to keep it held up? Make sure the guitar is upright against you not leaning backwards. What about standing?
Thanks! I'll experiment with all of the above

Sent from my motorola one hyper using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App