Author Topic: B2-1201 Power chords  (Read 1618 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 674
  • Teesside, North East England.
B2-1201 Power chords
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:18:19 am »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:29:41 am by close2u »

Offline nkjays

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: B2-1201 Power chords
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 07:30:27 pm »
Just a thought related to this lesson, it seems that power chords playing the top 3 strings and muting the bottom 3 is almost the same as just playing an Em shape barre chord. I find I sometimes press down the high E string instead of muting it, but even with distortion it doesn't sound too bad!

And I guess power chords playing the 2-4 strings (A,D,G - do we count strings from low E to high E or the other way around?) is also similarly playing an Am shape barre chord.

Is it common to switch between a power chord and a full minor barre chord for emphasis in rock music? Or no?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 254
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 08:05:46 pm »
Power chords have no 3rd. Root and 5th only. So they are neither major or minor.
You can substitute them for either major or minor chords.
They are usually used with distortion because the 3rd and flat 3rd sound a little
muddy with lots of distortion

Offline GARYTHECLARET

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 06:07:01 pm »
This was a really good lesson. Can I ask are Power Chords worth bothering with on an acoustic guitar ? They seem to me to be for rock music on electric guitar and on an acoustic an open or barre chord will always be preferable ?
Oh and Teenage Kicks, the Undertones classic, would be a great additional suggestion for learning.

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 07:58:43 pm »
Hi Gary and welcome to the community. It's all up to the music you listen, but usually I would prefer to use barre chords for rock songs instead of power chords on acoustic (Nirvana unplugged is a good example of it).

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 193
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:19:34 am »
Powerchords will work best on an electric but as pointed out, they will play just fine on an acoustic.
I usually try to find which can be best traded out for minor and major chords and play them as regular chords when playing on an acoustic :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty
 | My solo act:  website: Devil's Advocate

Offline Arrow76

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 09:02:49 am »
Since starting guitar at the beginning of Justin's Grade 1 back in August 2020 I'd really been looking forward to this module, as I'm generally a rock, punk, metal fan.  I somehow expected (hoped) that power chords would be easier than open chords, as the shape generally stays the same.  However, I've been finding power chords physically very difficult, especially in the first few frets.  Stretching up to the top strings, putting enough pressure on the strings so that they sound good, muting the other strings... all at the same time, phew, pretty soon I was having some pain in my fingers and wrist.  Usually by the time I got to the 10 minute song practice part of the practice routine, my fretting hand was so tired that I just practiced open chord songs from previous modules.  Anyway, I knew that my guitar had 10 gauge strings on it as standard from the guitar shop, so I recently took it back to the shop and got them changed to 9-42 and the set up adjusted accordingly.  That helped a lot, not only with power chords, but I find the guitar generally more comfortable to play.  I still find power chords physically difficult and get some pain in my finger joints, so I've dropped them for the moment and moved on to the blues module.  I definitely want to come back to them and think I'll do lessons with a teacher just to work on them.
Anyway, just wanted to mention this because if you're having trouble with power chords, it could be worth changing your strings down a grade.
I also want to take this opportunity (my first post here) to thank Justin and the team for the superb course!  As I wrote above, I started out on this journey with Grade 1 in Aug. 2020 and hope to finish Grade 2 in Aug. 2021, so about a year for Grades 1 & 2.  I'd have never progressed so much without this course, so thanks for that!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 09:23:13 am »
Welcome to the Forum, Arrow.

Just a thought I had reading your post ... have you experimented with the angle of your guitar neck? If you haven't perhaps you'll find angling the head up a little so the neck is not parallel to the ground may help find a more comfortable wrist position for playing the power chords.

Now all I'd suggest in addition to what you have done in working through Grade 1 & 2 is to record yourself, either playing songs, playing along with the app, or just practising and post that in AVOYP. That is invaluable both for all the encouragement you will receive from the Forum and also for the feedback on your playing. Recordings don't need to be hi-fi, simple phone recordings suffice (and the modern smart phone delivers pretty good quality).
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Arrow76

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 06:32:00 pm »
Thanks for that tip about the angle of the neck.  I'll try that tomorrow during my next practice session.

Offline duffnotes

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 03:24:34 pm »
Hi DavidP and Arrow76,

I had a similar experience (to Arrow76), and I took the advice to tip the neck up a bit, and it certainly helped.
The problem that I'm having at the moment though is that to get the note to come through clearly, I really have to have my strumming hand way back, actually touching the bridge at the back of my hand.  With my hand in this position I'm striking the volume knob, and turning the volume down occasionally, (and entirely by accident) as I strum. The guitar is a Squier strat-style, not sure of the model.
What I've observed is that my strumming hand seems to be flatter than Justin's.  I'm using the thicker part of my hand below my thumb on the strumming hand to deaden the low E string.  Is this right?  It seems not.

I've tried several things to address the situation. Playing with the guitar on my left leg (I'm right handed) seems to help a bit, but the problem isn't solved.  I'm wondering if anyone recognises this problem from their own experience, and can share what they did to overcome it?

Thanks,

Peter

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 03:44:47 pm »
Can't offer much that might help, Peter.

I am wondering about the angle of the guitar body. It should be vertical, 90 degrees to the floor. Perhaps you are tilting the body in towards your body to be able to see the neck.  If you are doing that it could contribute to your strumming action hitting the volume knob.

As for the palm muting, I'm not sure what Justin says you should use. I tend to use the back of the hand closer to the wrist and the side of the palm closer to the floor.  I think you sjut have to experiment and find something that works and is comfortable. I can imagine using the part of your hand as you describe might not work well.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Offline duffnotes

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 01:23:22 am »
Hi DavidP,

Thanks very much for your advice.  Yes, it's possible that the guitar isn't vertical.  I'll check for that tonight when I get a chance to practise.

Regards,

Peter.

Offline duffnotes

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 03:45:15 pm »
Hi DavidP,

It looks like my normal playing position isn't quite straight up and down.  I've tried to correct it, but something's still not quite working.  I will keep at it for a few days, and see if I can't figure it out.
Thanks for your help.

Peter.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 03:57:31 pm »
Peter, I had a play last night and noticed that I use the outside edge of my palm, the little finger side. It took me quite a lot of fiddling to get anywhere close to string muting on my acoustic. Find it quite difficult to maintain the palm contact with the strings while strumming. I can only say over time it has got better (but still not fluent and comfortable). All I can suggest is keep experimenting and working at it and in time it will click into place.

Offline swaffi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 08:23:13 am »
I'm 4-5 days into power chords and love them. I'm not very good but I'm determined because I just love sliding up and down the neck which I'm not that good at either but enjoy it nonetheless. I absolutely love banging on with the muting ;D. One thing I have to ask though is it common to get a sore neck playing power chords? My neck gets a workout after power chords. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Also, I find it near impossible not to mute "d" string with my pinkie when practising the Enter Sandman riff the way Justin demonstrates it. I have a short stubby pinkie and I even tried it without my thumb behind the neck and it still mutes the "d" string >:(

Just an aside, shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit posts does not seem to work. I'm using Google Chrome if that means anything

Get The Forum As A Mobile App