Author Topic: B2-1102 Beginner sus chords  (Read 1754 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 676
  • Teesside, North East England.
B2-1102 Beginner sus chords
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:55:40 am »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:25:31 am by close2u »

Offline edward777123

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: B2-1102 Beginner sus chords
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 05:13:29 pm »
I m having trouble with the A Sus 4 min- maj.
little finger just wont go into 4 fret anyone got any  ideas - exercises i can do to help .
D Sus  2/4 are fine and sound good.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 255
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 05:45:54 pm »
This exercise from Grade one will help with both dexterity and finger independence for
getting your pinky under control.
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/beginner-finger-stretches-b1-401 

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 676
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 08:06:54 pm »
@ Edward

what do you mean by A Sus 4 min- maj

Going from A sus4 to A minor?
From A sus4 to A Major?

For A minor to A sus4 and back you do need to use your little finger. Though, to be honest, that change between that sort of minor chord and the sus4 variety is often done A minor7  to A sus4 - much more room for fingers to move.

For A Major and A sus4 have you tried sliding your 3rd finger up a fret instead of adding on a 4th finger?

Offline edward777123

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 12:09:02 am »
close2u
Asus4 chord minor shape on the chord diagram is fingers 124 but my 4 finger wont extend to fret 3
Asus4 major shape same problem /  i thought the finger shown on the diagram were what we were
advised to use.
as of A minor 7 we not yet covered it in beginners course.
i might be confused , ill re watch lesson again, and re advise you on my problem
stich101
ill try those exercise but i found those impossible as well.............

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 676
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 08:15:31 am »
Edward.
Just for clarity.

There is no such thing as sus4 minor shape or sus major shape.

The very essence of a sus chord is that it is not minor and it is not major. It's 'quality' is suspended. It is neither of those things.
You can go to / from a sus chord from minor and you can go to / from a sus chord from major. But if you notice on the chord diagrams, both major and minor A chords share two fingers in the same frets at the same position. Namely, fret 2 of the D and G strings.
The A Major chord has fret 2 on the B string.
The A minor chord has fret 1 on the B string.
The sus 2 chord has open B string.
The sus4 chord has fret 3 on the B string.
The only changes occurring are on the B string.

Justin's fingerings are suggestions. You can use other fingers too - these are not the only options.
Try figuring out a combination that works for you on the sus4 chord.
Maybe 1,2, 4
Or 2, 1, (extended along) 3.
Or 2, 3, 4.

Offline duffnotes

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 07:39:03 am »
Hello,

Like @Edward 6 months ago, I find the switches between A and Asus4 really difficult.  In this lesson Justin outlines some strum patterns where the sus chords go on the upstrokes.  I can do the strum for D/Dsus4/D/Dsus2 quite ok, but there's no chance of me getting the A/Asus4/A/Asus2 combo.

I wonder if there is a finger pattern for this that uses the A minibar and maybe one finger for both the G and D strings, or should I slog on?

Thanks.

Offline Jozsef

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 08:22:40 pm »
Hello,

Like @Edward 6 months ago, I find the switches between A and Asus4 really difficult.  In this lesson Justin outlines some strum patterns where the sus chords go on the upstrokes.  I can do the strum for D/Dsus4/D/Dsus2 quite ok, but there's no chance of me getting the A/Asus4/A/Asus2 combo.

I wonder if there is a finger pattern for this that uses the A minibar and maybe one finger for both the G and D strings, or should I slog on?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Slogging on can be beneficial in the long run ;)

However, if you prefer playing the A chord with the minibarre, I would imagine that fretting only strings 3 & 4 in Asus2 would free up finger 3 to use in Asus4. On the flipside, it would be very easy to dampen the open string 3 accidentally.

Personally, using Justin's preferred fingering of the A chord as the starting point, I find the fingering of A sus chords quite similar to D sus chords in that only the lowermost finger needs to be lifted or finger 4 needs to be added for the various sus chords.

Now, changing between E and Esus2 indeed requires a bit more practice.
On my guitar journey since 28 August, 2019
Acoustic: CD-60 Dread V3 DS (my 1st guitar), Yamaha FG820-12
Electric: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro
Amp: Fender Mustang I (V.2) combo amp
Effects: Vox V847 wah-wah pedal

Offline duffnotes

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 09:13:03 am »
Hi @Jozsef,

Thanks for your reply.  I will try again with the recommended finger pattern. I will also look at the video again to see if I have just confused myself.  My main problem was with finger 1 on the G string, finger 2 on the D string, and finger 3 tucked under for the C# on the B string, my fourth finger just won't stretch away from finger 3 far enough to reach the next fret on the B string.  Maybe the trick is to move finger 3 with finger 4?

Luckily for me Esus2 isn't part of this lesson.

Thanks again!

Offline stahlhammer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 04:02:34 pm »
Hi @Jozsef,

Thanks for your reply.  I will try again with the recommended finger pattern. I will also look at the video again to see if I have just confused myself.  My main problem was with finger 1 on the G string, finger 2 on the D string, and finger 3 tucked under for the C# on the B string, my fourth finger just won't stretch away from finger 3 far enough to reach the next fret on the B string.  Maybe the trick is to move finger 3 with finger 4?

Luckily for me Esus2 isn't part of this lesson.

Thanks again!
I have the same problem. There is no way I can separate my 3rd and 4th fingers enough to play the Asus4  :(

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 04:34:49 pm »
There’s no such thing as can’t, it’s a matter of perseverance and practice!
The other thing is mindset, if you continually say ‘can’t’ it sticks and you convince yourself that you will never do it! Take the approach that you’re finding it very difficult but you’re definitely going to find a way how. Mindset is an extremely powerful thing, use it the right way!
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 06:19:52 pm »
There’s no such thing as can’t, it’s a matter of perseverance and practice!
I agree. That's what my mother use to say to me.

The other thing is mindset, if you continually say ‘can’t’ it sticks and you convince yourself that you will never do it! Take the approach that you’re finding it very difficult but you’re definitely going to find a way how. Mindset is an extremely powerful thing, use it the right way!
I thought that I couldn't get the F chord! Wasn't going to be beaten and can now make the strings ring out. Still needs a lot of work though!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 07:16:26 am »
I agree. That's what my mother use to say to me.
I thought that I couldn't get the F chord! Wasn't going to be beaten and can now make the strings ring out. Still needs a lot of work though!
Your mother was right, the F chord is a mother of a chord to get down, need I say more? Now you’re on the right track!
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline stahlhammer

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 07:20:40 pm »
Well seems like I found a more practical solution, which is keeping the thumb behind the neck and not grabbing it as usual.
A lot easier, tho it makes my wrist hurt :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App