Author Topic: B2-1009 La Bamba riff  (Read 698 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
B2-1009 La Bamba riff
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:54:19 am »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:49:48 am by close2u »

Offline Lhythm_Guitar

• Good Vibes 0
Re: B2-1009 La Bamba riff
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 03:59:15 am »
I am trying to play the harmonized version of the tab for the La Bamba intro. When I play the double notes part.... 1) my picking is not very accurate and 2) the open G and open B notes ring out as I start the next phrase. 1) Will the ability to accurately play the double notes come with time or is there a specific picking technique I should experiment with for double string notes?  2)  Should I be employing any kind of muting during/after I play the double notes, especially the combination open G and open B? Thanks for any insights/ideas!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 09:11:54 am »
It is going to be a matter of practice and practice slowly.
Make sure your fretting fingers have developed enough muscle memory of the riff that you do not need to look at them at all.
You are going to need to be looking at your picking hand to make sure you are only striking the necessary strings and improve your accuracy.

Are you doing any single string picking-accuracy routines in your practice schedule?

Offline Lhythm_Guitar

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 07:33:44 pm »
Close2u....thank you for the quick response!  Good to know that it will develop with time.  I am not doing any specific pick accuracy exercises.  I am going through the beginner course and using the practice section of the site with the default suggestions (I love this feature).  Would love any recs for specific exercises you'd recommend...but also understand that you are quite busy across the forum!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 11:20:02 pm »
By the time you reach Lesson 10 where the La Bamba riff is you should have already spent time on several other riffs with picking plus practicing and using the E minor pentatonic scale and the C major scale.
If you have dropped the scale practice from your routine then reintroduce it.

Offline Lhythm_Guitar

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 03:13:18 am »
Yep... definitely been doing the scales.  I didn't see the point when I was younger but def appreciate them now!

Offline Skuilla

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 06:04:04 pm »
Hi,
I am able to play the riff well anough to be recognized by ear.
Now I am trying to play it with a metronome, and I don't know how succed to. I know nice and slowly, but I do not succed neither with 40 bpm, listening the metronome confuse me a lot because every times I ask to myself if I am in tempo.
This happens also with strumming pattern, but in this case move up and down the hand help me a little bit.
Metronome is my biggest problem every times also with other instruments, any advice?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App