Author Topic: B2-0901 The F chord  (Read 10869 times)

Offline alantbt

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: B2-0901 The F chord
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2021, 04:24:25 pm »
For the F chord and other E shape barre chords this video is essential viewing, every minute of it.
Plus the written part too.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/e-shape-major-4b-001
Absolutely this! Struggled for 3 weeks having watched the original F chord video. Within a few minutes of first practice after the video I’m playing clean chords. A way to go but what a game changer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't – you're right - Henry Ford

Offline shanear09

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2021, 04:13:15 am »
For the F chord and other E shape barre chords this video is essential viewing, every minute of it.
Plus the written part too.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/e-shape-major-4b-001

Thanks! I watched this yesterday and followed along live but didn't have a ton of immediate success. Tonight I picked up my guitar and tried to remember the tips from the video and I mostly got it right from the start. I was even able to slide the chord shape down the neck to other root notes. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about this.

Offline alantbt

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2021, 09:55:20 pm »
An update - been running practice as per the recommendations in the video (1 session each of chord perfect and songs). I have to do them separated by 3 minutes of finger picking to give my hand a rest but my barre chords are coming on in leaps and bounds. 

Offline shanear09

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2021, 06:53:36 pm »
my barre chords are coming on in leaps and bounds. 

Congrats! It's a great feeling once it all starts to click.

I still have no idea how people are able to change between barre and open chords in the same song, but for now I'm just happy I can play a barre chord.

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2021, 11:47:43 am »
I've been having attempt with this chord and I must have funny wrists or hands (or something) as there is obsoletely no way I can keep my wrist straight and do the barre. What just is showing in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxXG5S8vSd8&t=174s with keeping the wrist straight is just not possible if I want the finger to form the barre!!

Online Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2021, 02:16:58 pm »
I've been having attempt with this chord and I must have funny wrists or hands (or something) as there is obsoletely no way I can keep my wrist straight and do the barre. What just is showing in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxXG5S8vSd8&t=174s with keeping the wrist straight is just not possible if I want the finger to form the barre!!
Show us a picture or a short video of you playing the F. Then you may get some useful tips.

My speed is slow, but I am getting there with this cord. I am a small person with small/average hands. I fine that it works best with just the tip of my finger on the low E, then a slight curve and rotate like Justin and my wrist is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alantbt

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2021, 09:17:16 pm »
I’ve been beating myself up for having lost the F barre chord on my acoustic (having had it ok for a couple of weeks and just started chord changes). I decided to re-watch the tips video and the very last section fixed it - Justin said “and after all that you may still not be able to play the chord because your action is too high “ (paraphrase). I checked the action and it had changed massively, presumably because of the super hot spell we had in the UK last week.  I’ve been slowly lowering the action during the week and lo and behold the chord is getting better. I’ll leave it to settle for a couple of days and check again.
I’m wondering whether to keep the instrument bagged and in a
wardrobe during extremes of weather.

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2021, 11:46:59 am »
I've been having attempt with this chord and I must have funny wrists or hands (or something) as there is absolutely no way I can keep my wrist straight and do the barre. What Justin is showing in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxXG5S8vSd8&t=174s with keeping the wrist straight is just not possible if I want the finger to form the barre!!
I had another go at this last night for 5 minutes. My wrist is now really painful. I can't keep my wrist straight when attempting the barre. The two things just don't go together.

Online Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2021, 02:18:36 pm »
Can you post an image or short video of you playing the F barre cord?

I have thumb pain but not wrist pain.

Do keep in mind that Justin has been playing guitar for 30 plus years, as a career. Don’t expect your hand to move like his.

I started working with the F barre early, because I knew it would be hard, I have been at it more than 3 months and am just starting to feel I can actually use it playing (very slowly).

Practice it just a small amount each day, don’t push to the point of persistent pain. Keep at it and you will gradually find and move to a more tolerable position.

It will still be years for it to look effortless and straight like Justin.

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2021, 04:35:57 pm »

Practice it just a small amount each day, don’t push to the point of persistent pain. Keep at it and you will gradually find and move to a more tolerable position.

I only tried for 5mins so wasn't expecting the pain I had this morning. Basically I can't keep my wrist straight, form the barre and have the other three fingers in the correct positions to stop muting other strings. At the moment one (or more) has to give which means the chord isn't formed.

I may have to look to other options for F as I don't fancy perminant damage to my wrist!

Offline MrPB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2021, 08:16:57 pm »
First attempt at a proper F today
Did okay, somehow managed to get it to ring nicely a few times.

Gonna be a long road to be able to use it tho
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Positive Grid Spark Amp

Offline Damien8

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2021, 04:48:48 am »
So, I've been at this lesson Grade 2-2 for about 2 months, playing bout 20-30 mins per day.

I still can only get about 20 D to Mini Fs, and I'm nowhere near being able to use the F barre chord in changes.

I watch Ninsuj and he's doing better than me on his 3rd practice, and I'm at two months!

The exercise with the pinky finger is also completely deflating. My finger pinky is always on a slanted curve, and slides on the string as I try to move my other fingers. I see Justin, and his fingers are flat and centred on the strings.

I don't know if I'm progressing terribly slow, or others are where I am, but this is completely soul destroying.

Anyone else?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2021, 10:17:10 am »
@Damien8 are you playing Acoustic or electric?
Do you have a Capo? If not get one, if you do put it on at the 1st fret and try it again, if you find that ok then with it on the 1st fret retune your guitar with the Capo on; if not work your way up the frets one at a time doing the same thing. When you can play it reliably start to work your way back down one fret at a time.
Another thing you could try is lighter strings, this could also help.
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2021, 06:00:03 pm »
I only tried for 5mins so wasn't expecting the pain I had this morning. Basically I can't keep my wrist straight, form the barre and have the other three fingers in the correct positions to stop muting other strings. At the moment one (or more) has to give which means the chord isn't formed.

I may have to look to other options for F as I don't fancy perminant damage to my wrist!
Well I had another 5mins go at this chord and again I have pain in my wrist. I don't think that I am doing this wrong and I am certainly trying to keep my wrist straight but I'm going to have to resort to alternatives for this one. Not prepared to put up with the pain each time. Even tried with a capo on the 5th fret.

At this point I would say that all barre chords are out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
B2-0901 The F chord
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2021, 06:50:16 pm »
@Damien8 are you playing Acoustic or electric?
Do you have a Capo? If not get one, if you do put it on at the 1st fret and try it again, if you find that ok then with it on the 1st fret retune your guitar with the Capo on; if not work your way up the frets one at a time doing the same thing. When you can play it reliably start to work your way back down one fret at a time.
Another thing you could try is lighter strings, this could also help.

I have been working on the F barre for 3-4 months now. Finally, I can play along in the app at nearly 70bpm and I am no longer in pain.

Just slowly work at it, focus on going slow, body mechanics and not squeezing the life out of it.

Only work on it for a couple of gentle minutes per day. Time is on your side and use the F cheats for your playing.

Remember, Justin is not who you should compare oneself to. He has 40 years experience on you and has played as his primary profession. Even left handed he is still the dread pirate Roberts of guitar (“I am not left handed either!”).

My pinky has a mind of its own as well. Quite funny actually. Slow efforts are paying off there, too.

Offline SgtColon

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2021, 07:46:57 am »
I've just started working of the full barre F and this is more of an, I wonder why question.

Why can I get it all to ring true when using my electric guitar but not on my acoustic? The electric is straight out of the box, no setup but my acoustic has had a setup done. I action was lowered as it was really high.

Just curious as to why I can do it on the electric?

Thanks. :)
Yamaha FG-411s acoustic.
G&L Tribute ASAT electric.
Boss Katana MkII 50 amp.

Don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2021, 07:55:08 am »
Stefan, my guess would be the biggest factor is string gauge. It is likely that the electric has lighter gauge strings than the acoustic, which are then easier to press down.

Then it may be that the electric has a lower action than the acoustic. I think typically an electric is set up with lower action than an acoustic.

Lastly, the neck width may be different. If you find a string being muted then you may need to adjust the barre finger up or down a little. Sometimes a string is positioned under a crease in the finger and the barre is not clean. 
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2021, 07:55:31 am »
Your acoustic strings are thciker and under greater tension than your electric.

If  ...
Custom light = gauge 9 on electric and gauge 11 on acoustic
Light = gauge 10 on electric and gauge 12 on acoustic

Typically...
Custom Light Strings, acoustic guitar strings have ~56% more tension than electric guitar strings.
Light Strings, acoustic guitar strings have ~53% more tension than electric guitar strings.

data source:
https://www.guitarbio.com/acoustic-vs-electric-guitar-strings/

Offline SgtColon

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2021, 08:16:40 am »
Thank you both. That answers my question. :)

Onwards and upwards. I'll hopefully nail the F sooner rather than later.
Yamaha FG-411s acoustic.
Boss Katana MkII 50 amp.

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2021, 11:25:56 am »
Well I had another 5mins go at this chord and again I have pain in my wrist. I don't think that I am doing this wrong and I am certainly trying to keep my wrist straight but I'm going to have to resort to alternatives for this one. Not prepared to put up with the pain each time. Even tried with a capo on the 5th fret.

At this point I would say that all barre chords are out.

I decided to have another another go at this (don't like being beaten!!) and found that I can get this to ring out OK at various positions on the neck. Not had so much pain either which is good news. For me this is a win! Still needs a lot of work as the fingers take so time to get in the correct position but it's better than it was a few weeks ago.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2021, 11:40:48 am »
Well done Stuart. Stick at, you’ll get there!
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2021, 01:28:25 pm »
Bravo, Stuart, Good Vibes for persistence and progress!
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner

Offline SgtColon

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2021, 09:31:08 am »
Finally nailed a consistent F barre on my acoustic. Now just need to do the below to get a change without a pause.

You need to pick a chord progression G F C F and painstakingly slow force your finger do what you
want then to do.
Another good trick is to do the One chord change (not the One Minute) the One Chord

It goes like this. Play the F, lift your fingers off the strings then place them back down repeat
over and over.
Do it slow make those fingers go where you want them to go.
When that becomes easy Play the F take your whole hand off the fret board and then play an
other F. Rinse and repeat
When that becomes easy play the F take your whole hand off the fret board and touch your knee.
Again over and over until you can play the F chord in your sleep.

5 minutes a day for a few weeks and you should see a big improvement.
Don't for get to have fun that's half the battle.
Yamaha FG-411s acoustic.
Boss Katana MkII 50 amp.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2021, 09:57:17 am »
Finally nailed a consistent F barre on my acoustic. Now just need to do the below to get a change without a pause.

Well done, Stefan, deliberate practice with persistence and patience pays off!

Offline SgtColon

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2021, 10:16:20 am »
Thanks David. It's amazing how one day it just clicks.
Yamaha FG-411s acoustic.
Boss Katana MkII 50 amp.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App