Author Topic: B2-0901 The F chord  (Read 3665 times)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 248
Re: B2-0901 The F chord
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2021, 11:26:38 pm »

I have tried for the last half a year or so, dedicating like half an hour a DAY to this issue. Everything just grinds to a halt when F pops up in some chord progression.

Your not going to like this but this is the problem.

You need to spend 5 minutes a day addressing the problem. Which in your own word is

My big frustration lies with finger 3 and 4. I simply CANNOT switch quickly from any other open chord into F.
Everything just grinds to a halt when F pops up in some chord progression.

You need to pick a chord progression G F C F and painstakingly slow force your finger do what you
want then to do.
Another good trick is to do the One chord change (not the One Minute) the One Chord

It goes like this. Play the F, lift your fingers off the strings then place them back down repeat
over and over.
Do it slow make those fingers go where you want them to go.
When that becomes easy Play the F take your whole hand off the fret board and then play an
other F. Rinse and repeat
When that becomes easy play the F take your whole hand off the fret board and touch your knee.
Again over and over until you can play the F chord in your sleep.

5 minutes a day for a few weeks and you should see a big improvement.
Don't for get to have fun that's half the battle.

Offline ElectroGuitara

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2021, 11:33:26 pm »
A nice lesson - thanks - need to try this as well.

With or without looking at the hand, fingers and fret board?
Starting with looking I guess..

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2021, 03:52:48 am »
Play in the dark, use the ear, I think this will help to improve faster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2021, 04:00:04 am »
Ok new photo.
https://ibb.co/TPW0V1W
The sound seems good when I down strum every single string, instead if I try to strum up and down with energy and quick sometimes I hear 1 o 2 string not perfectly clean.

Regarding change chords, I watched the Justin video, and for him it is perfectly fine put the finger one at the time at this level. It's ok? In the sense I can reach a decent number changes or I need to try to move finger together?
My thumb is placed more towards the middle in order to have more pressure for the index finger, otherwise the high e string is often muted. I’m an Asian with relatively smaller hand, maybe it is a different case for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2021, 09:22:15 am »
Play in the dark, use the ear, I think this will help to improve faster
I've never really understood this. If you are having problems placing your fingers in the correct position how will playing in the dark help? Surely you will be just fumbling around trying to the placing fingers. Isn't the idea to place in the correct position and repeat?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2021, 09:46:47 am »
Playing in the dark removes one of your senses from the equation so allows you to concentrate more on what is left, it’s something that I do quite often when I have minor issues with the odd things, not exclusively guitar related!

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 182
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2021, 10:34:43 am »
It goes like this. Play the F, lift your fingers off the strings then place them back down repeat
over and over.
Do it slow make those fingers go where you want them to go.
When that becomes easy Play the F take your whole hand off the fret board and then play an
other F. Rinse and repeat
When that becomes easy play the F take your whole hand off the fret board and touch your knee.

Good one Stitch I'd forgotten this trusted gem !!

As to playing in the dark, it can be effective. I very experienced friend of mine suggested it years ago. His theory being when you are on stage gigging with theatre light etc you can't see much, so learning to play in the dark overcomes that issue. But just try closing your eyes to get the same effect, especially when trying it for the first time. It sounds counter intuitive but is effective. For example, start some 1 minute changes type routine (don't worry about the figures) just back and forth between 2 chords, then try it with your eyes closed. You may be surprised. And its cheaper for day time practice as you don't have to kit the house out with blackout boards and curtains (available at Army Surplus should you wish).

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
  • SoCal kid living in my RV in Florida
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2021, 05:26:23 pm »

I feel like I just can't seem to be able to build the muscle memory to move my 3rd and 4th finger towards the thicker strings with the 2nd finger moving in the opposite direction. I find that a really hard move.

How are your transitions to the C chord?

To me in the beginning there are three "types" of chords.

1 = Clustered fingers. A, D, E, Am are example where the fingers are bunched together an tend to "support" each other.  These are generally the easiest chords and probably why we start there.

2 = Spread out chords. F-mini, C, Dm. This is where you start working across 2 or 3 frets and the first finger is on the higher strings and in the case of F and C the "weaker" fingers have to do new things like stretch and curl across strings so as not to mute and stand alone (usually) in their efforts.

3 = The last beginner category I call contortion chords. Some fingers are all the way across the fret board and one finger has to be in a different post code - G is a good example.  Depending on how you play it, you have 1 and 2 on 5 and 6 and 3 (or 4) on 1. These start to rely on hand and finger flexibility as much as stretch.

Coming soon

4 = Bar chords and power chords

5 = "Whole hand" chords like Bm where all 4 fingers are doing a job.

Suffice to say I practiced C to F a lot. Then Am to C, then Am to F.  For me this helped transition getting fingers 2 and 3 to launch their way "up" the fret board while having an anchor for finger 1. Then doing the same with Dm where finger 1 also has to jump a string.

The idea is to get the subconscious to start imprinting the chord shape.

Another exercise I do after that with certain chords is "eyes closed" - Not caring how long it takes, feel the fingers plant on each string one at a time. Feel the string and feel the edge of the fret. Do that for a while.

Then my last exercise for tough chords is "lift and plant" - With the chord formed and ringing true slowly lift all fingers up about 1/4 inch and then plant them again. This give you an idea if the chord shape is starting to imprint in your brain.
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline Winblows

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2021, 06:13:39 pm »
This how I get it:
[soundcloud=https://sndup.net/5s52]Link?[/soundcloud]

... should be a link to a sound track, but it's not