Author Topic: B2-0901 The F chord  (Read 690 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
  • Teesside, North East England.
B2-0901 The F chord
« on: January 01, 2020, 08:24:59 pm »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:41:07 am by close2u »

Online skeldol

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: B2-0901 The F chord
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 09:01:49 am »
So having learned F-Barre on my classical guitar I am now re-learning it on my new steel.

The classical guitar has a really wide neck.  To get the F-barre my finger tip is just over the top of the neck and my first knuckle just below the B string.

Playing F-barre on the steel I realize I need my first knuckle in the same poistion (just below B) but due to the smaller neck thist means my finger sticks over the stop a fair bit (the entire nail).  In justin's lesson on F barre he says try to not stick the finger above the neck too much else it makes it harder to learn other chord shapes with the barre.  I've spent some time trying to get F-barre with my finger tip around neck height but it aint happening.  Wondered what peoples thoughts are?

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 10:15:58 am »
Are you referring to the lesson in the BC or the 20 minute lesson in the Intermediate Course ?
If you've not watched the IM lesson I'd recommend it as it expands on what Justin teaches in the Dreaded F Chord lesson

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/e-shape-barre-chord-grips-im-111

Have you tried just barring with your index finger and no others ? Try that and roll the finger a little on its side and experiment with different positions. When you find a place where all six strings ring clean, try introducing the other fingers. May take some time but it'll help in the long run.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Online skeldol

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 07:01:32 am »
@ Toby

Hi thanks, I've only looked at the beginner so will try the intermediate.  I can get the F barre ringing out fine, it's more I wonder if my finger is positioned to high.  Think this post needs a picture!!

On my classical the index finger doesnt really go above the fret board but I find it has to on the steel, due to my long bony fingers :( .  Is this a problem???
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:00:52 am by close2u »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 10:02:13 am »
@skeldol ... is the whole chord on all 6 strings ringing out clean? That is the main thing.
And with big hands, in the future, you may be blessed with the ability to play thumb over barre chords.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 10:09:43 am »
I'm no expert skeldol ... 3.5 year beginner ... I don't think it matters if the tip of the index finger is above the neck. I think all that matters is that your finger is aligned so that the notes fretted with the barring finger are all clean.

Does look like the index and middle fingers are fretting on the fretwire, rather than positioned behind as close as possible, like the pinky but that may be camera angle ...

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 10:11:21 am »
Skeldol

As Close says, if it rings clean all is good. Doesn't look that excessive to me, so I'd stick with it for now.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Online skeldol

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 11:06:29 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Yes all 6 notes ring out clean. Think it's just camera angle making it look like i'm on the frets.  I'll stick with this approach.

Offline Rexplosive

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 02:46:23 pm »
So having learned F-Barre on my classical guitar I am now re-learning it on my new steel.

The classical guitar has a really wide neck.  To get the F-barre my finger tip is just over the top of the neck and my first knuckle just below the B string.

Playing F-barre on the steel I realize I need my first knuckle in the same poistion (just below B) but due to the smaller neck thist means my finger sticks over the stop a fair bit (the entire nail).  In justin's lesson on F barre he says try to not stick the finger above the neck too much else it makes it harder to learn other chord shapes with the barre.  I've spent some time trying to get F-barre with my finger tip around neck height but it aint happening.  Wondered what peoples thoughts are?

I had this same exact concern.  How has this panned out for you since August?

Online skeldol

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 11:36:52 am »
Fine, I stopped worrying about it.  Overtime I think as technique improves you can move it a bit lower down.  I've shown my guitar teacher and he says its fine too.  I think we often over think these things as beginners.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App