Author Topic: B2-0806 Pick manipulation  (Read 719 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
B2-0806 Pick manipulation
« on: January 01, 2020, 08:17:33 pm »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:37:48 am by close2u »

Offline Gordon Overkill

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: B2-0806 Pick manipulation
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 11:38:04 am »
Maybe that's the best topic for my issue. All in all I play the guitar for more than 20 years now and since all that time I always had some trouble with holding the pick.
Justin always emphasizes that it's important to have a light grip on the pick, if you want to do pickings, especially faster ones. For me, whenever I don't grip the pick pretty tightly it has a tendency to turn with the sharp side towards the head of the guitar. This becomes quite an issue during live gigs, since I generally sweat quite alot. So I have to grip the pick even harder to keep it in position, which results in a cramping, unrelaxed right arm, especially during fast parts and songs using alternate picking (got the feeling that the problem is mainly the upstroak).
There could probably be a relation to another thing: The way to hold the pick that feels most "natural" to me is with the sharp edge pointing slightly towards the head of the guitar. If my index finger, pointing straight at the strings, is 6 o'clock, the pick is probably rather 7 o' clock. Don't know if that's generally a problem and maybe I have to change that habit?
I already use picks with a rough surface.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a picture of the way I usually hold the pick:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 11:54:10 am by Gordon Overkill »

Online adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 02:01:42 pm »
Hi Gordon I think funk lessons from Justin address issues you have mentioned  see below:

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/strumming-technique-mechanics-fu-502

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Gordon Overkill

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 03:55:10 pm »
Thanks, Adi!
According to the video, I have to improve my pick manipulation. The point is just, if I play really relaxed, I would probably have to manipulate every 5-10 seconds, depending on the speed of the part. Is it really meant to be like this? This has really been a major problem through my whole musical journey and I tried to fix it with several different ways of holding the pick, but there was never a real breakthrough. There has always been this certain tension in my right hand while playing and maybe that's a big factor that keeps me from playing faster. (Considering how long I play, I struggle suprisingly hard with playing fast... which is quite ironic, since I play the bass in a Speed Metal band  ;D ) But well, so far I just didn't find a better way to play in a controlled way over a longer period of time such as a concert, so I kinda hope there is just some major flaw in my fundamentals that can somehow be fixed.
Maybe one stupid question: When I do downstrokes, it happens pretty much all the time that the tip of my index finger slightly touches the string, too. Maybe that's a problem for pick stability?

Online adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 05:51:42 pm »
I usually curl my index finger when I hold a pick, it's quite hidden behind the thumb so I manage not to strike strings accidentally. I don't play super crazy fast strumming patterns and only times I find it difficult holding a pick in single position is when I tried to play sort of funk chord progression (fast and quite aggressive), otherwise it tends to be okay. However for a metal player my normal speed is probably sluggishly slow :):) if you play song Easily by RHCP this is sort of medium/fast paced song I am talking about when I manage to keep pick in one place.

From my point of view pick is not moving more than once or twice a song. I also wouldn't say that I hold it super tight, but also not too loose, somewhere in between I think. I don't think I can offer any straight answer to your issue, just shed some light on my own way.

What happens if you slow down the song to even 50% of the speed? I would suggest perhaps slowing it down until you can handle a pick steady throughout the song and try to speed things up once you feel confident enough. If it's really quick pattern the pick will eventually move and that's when what Justin has said in his lesson applies.

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Lhythm_Guitar

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 04:40:20 am »
I have the same issue of the pick slipping constantly due to either sweat or really dry skin.  I tried putting duct tape on the top of one of my picks and that helped. Is there the concept of grip tape or wax or an equivalent similar to some sporting equipment (golf, tennis, skateboarding, etc)?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rosshkerr

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 08:19:14 am »
I have used gorilla snot before and that helped. Took a while to figure out the right amount but it definitely stopped the pick moving about as much

Sent from my SM-N976B using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 10:39:07 am »
Have you tried Dunlop Gator Grip picks? They have a sort of ‘chalky’ finish and whilst they still slip a bit, I find they slip less than some others.

If you search the internet you’ll find this is a common issue. People drill holes, roughen with sandpaper, use tape etc etc. I don’t think there is a perfect solution, you have to find what works best for you.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline Lhythm_Guitar

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 07:30:10 pm »
Rossherr and Sairfingers...thanks for the ideas!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 08:11:50 pm »
I use a Dunlop Jazz lll pick for lead work, it’s quite grippy and being thick is better for precision, I do use it for strumming but it’s a bit thick and can sound quite percussive, it’s my favourite pick!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 09:08:28 pm »
Another vote for the Dunlop Gators

Sent from my RMX2144 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App