Author Topic: B2-0805 All down 8th note strumming  (Read 487 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:37:34 am by close2u »

Online R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
Re: B2-0805 All down 8th note strumming
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 03:44:01 pm »
I reached an impasse with 8th note strumming. I dedicate 2 mins per practice session on the exercise.

At 80bpm its ok, not perfect. I can change chords and emphasis beats 2 & 4 most of the time. However as soon as i increase the speed, using just the G chord it falls apart. I been doing the exercise for the last 6-8 weeks and would appreciate any tips.

As another point, how do i get my foot to tap only on beats 1,2,3 &4 and not on 1+,2+,3+,4+.

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
  • SoCal kid living in my RV in Florida
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 09:48:18 pm »
I haven't tried it but I've watched the video - pay close attention from about 6 minutes to about 6:26 - When he changes to the G he's doing a little trick he's talked about before and that's play the last stroke with open strings as he gets the G ready - and he's ready to "hit" the 2 beat cuz that's the one he's emphasizing. I don't know if that will help you.

Also I would be practicing with my "easiest/best" G chord change which for me is the same he's using Am - G. My G changes are still in the low to mid 60s...

I personally would not be worried about 1/8 note strumming at 120BPM at the beginner level. I do challenge myself with high tempo songs for the chard changes but I work out whatever strum pattern sounds best at my skill level.  But what do I know.? - LOL...
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 10:20:08 pm »
1)
At 80bpm its ok, not perfect. I can change chords and emphasis beats 2 & 4 most of the time. However as soon as i increase the speed, using just the G chord it falls apart. I been doing the exercise for the last 6-8 weeks and would appreciate any tips.
2)
As another point, how do i get my foot to tap only on beats 1,2,3 &4 and not on 1+,2+,3+,4+.

1) Don’t try to speed up any further at a time than you can get it right otherwise you’re practicing errors, bad news!
2) Tap your foot on the beat and physically say out loud ‘and’ instead of trying to tap your foot, it’s much easier once you’ve got it!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Online R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 11:03:20 am »
Ex-calif and Darrell - thank you for  the advice.

I will try at a slower bpm in my next practice session and hopefully I can get my foot tapping sorted as well.

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App