Author Topic: B2-0804 Muting strings deliberately  (Read 896 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:37:22 am by close2u »

Offline ZimaBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: B2-0804 Muting strings deliberately
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 03:49:31 pm »
Hey there ;D

Okay so this one's regarding the fretting hand:

We are supposed (when playing scales) to lay our fingers rather flat (instead of using the tips, e.g. when playing chords) in order to mute the string directly above and those under. I don't have problems doing that, however in the lesson for the Am Pentatonic Justin's mentions bending.

I've tried bending and noticed that I can only comfortably do this when playing with my fingertips. Whenever I try it with a flat finger (which we should use when playing scales) my fingers don't get enough grip on the string and slip.

Now, Justin didn't cover bending and soloing in the course as of yet (lesson 14, grade 2) and I'm wondering whether I misunderstood something or whether I'm doing something wrong. Are you actually supposed to play scales (and solo) with a flat finger in order to mute? Or rather, when are you supposed to do that and when not?

I'm quite confused, because playing with flat fingers (scales) doesn't seem to translate well into soloing, for which I intuitively would rather use my fingertips. However, scales seem to be the basis of soloing, so what did I not get right? :-X

Thanks in advance!

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 11:22:42 pm »
As far as I know you should be playing scales with your fingertips, you should still be able to mute the strings below and the next string up while doing this.
If not I have some serious relearning to do.

Sent from my RMX2144 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline ZimaBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 08:06:06 am »
Thank you for the answer!

I can't really play with my fingertips and at the same time mute the strings above and all under, I can only do that with a flat finger, as Justin advised.

Edit: I decided to make a video regarding the first question: https://youtu.be/JTJnjhmt5bo

The first playthrough is with a flattened, and slightly higher placed finger (as Justin advised in "Muting Strings Deliberately") and the second playthrough is with my fingertips and only muting with my picking hand. The first sounds better and is according to the "Muting Strings Deliberately" lesson, however I cannot see myself bending like that (I slip everytime). Bending just feels so much more natural when playing with my fingertips. However, I cannot mute (as we are supposed to) like that.

Edit: I just found an older video of Justin's regarding muting technique and there he explains muting with the index finger when playing scales. That way I could play with my tips, let the lower strings be muted by my picking hand and the higher strings by my index finger. Is that a valid technique? I'm wondering, because Justin didn't mention this in the new beginner's course and it's not exactly in line with what this lesson tells us.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 12:06:54 pm by ZimaBlue »

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 10:00:49 am »
Hi Zima
When playing scales you should be using accurate precise fingertips and minimum movement. I’m not sure why you think you should be muting other strings as you are only picking the fretted string.

Justin doesn’t cover string bending until the Intermediate Course. Have a look at his video on the subject but be careful that you’re not trying to rush ahead and cover too many things at once!

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/string-bending-technique-te-106
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline ZimaBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 11:58:10 am »
Thanks for the answer!

I'm referencing this lesson: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/muting-strings-deliberately-b2-804

As far as I understood it at least, Justin referenced this for scales (it's from the new beginner's course).

Thanks for the video, I'll take a look at it! I was alerted to bending as Justin mentioned it as part of lesson 12 (Am pentatonic). While rewatching it, I noticed my problem (playing with fingertips for precision and bending vs. playing with a flat finger for muting) and it has been bugging me for a week.

However, if this:

Edit: I just found an older video of Justin's regarding muting technique and there he explains muting with the index finger when playing scales. That way I could play with my tips, let the lower strings be muted by my picking hand and the higher strings by my index finger. Is that a valid technique? I'm wondering, because Justin didn't mention this in the new beginner's course and it's not exactly in line with what this lesson tells us.

is a valid technique, I think I found my solution. I'm just wondering why it wasn't mentioned in the lesson.

Edit: This is the video: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/string-muting-techniques-im-134

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 12:14:30 pm »
As Justin says in the video you’ve linked to, this is a more advanced technique that takes many months of practice to learn.
So it depends where you are in your progress. If someone is starting to learn the scale then that is enough in itself. Once you have mastered the scale then you can start to learn and practice the muting techniques as they are also applicable to playing lead guitar etc.

I’ve discovered that there are no black and whites in learning guitar. There are many shades of grey in between. As a teacher Justin will show a black and white correct way and wrong way to do things otherwise there are too many variables, but in subsequent lessons he will blur the lines a bit as once one is more experienced one can interpret things a bit to suit.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline ZimaBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 08:13:12 am »
Okay thanks for the help!

I'll play with my fingertips then and leave the muting of the higher strings to my Index (and the lower to my palms), even if this is not in line with what this lesson tells us.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 07:44:54 pm »
Okay thanks for the help!

I'll play with my fingertips then and leave the muting of the higher strings to my Index (and the lower to my palms), even if this is not in line with what this lesson tells us.

Just watched the lesson. I think you should go watch it again. Justin even says in the video
"There is a danger here, if you think about this to much and get obsessed with the idea it
could screw witn your playing"

Offline ZimaBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 09:53:14 pm »
Yeah I noticed that but since I'm in the consolidation phase (lesson 14) I cannot help but think about this stuff - thanks for noting this anyhow! ;D

I'm still unsure what's right and haven't played scales for two weeks now, afraid of screwing stuff up. But I guess I should just go with whatever feels somewhat right (right now as I've concluded playing with fingertips, muting the higher strings with my index and the lower strings with my picking hand) - I'll see how that goes I guess. This is going to take some relearning, but I guess it's worth it.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:28:28 pm by ZimaBlue »

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 11:21:39 pm »
Muting strings is a technique that you use when you don't want strings to ring after
playing them or when you don't want then to make anh sound at all.
If you watch the video Justin is plsying the scale in open position when you pick
an ope  string it will ring for along time. If you don't want it to you need to mute it.
Play the scales with the tips of your fingers.
I think you have totally missed the point of the lesson. It is teaching you one of the
many skills you need, it is NOT teaching you the one and only, do it this way or your
life will never be the same method.
Your takeaway from this lesson should be Justin's advice of DO NOT obsess over this.
You don't need to relearn anything you are adding a skill to your bag of tricks and with
time this bag will continue to grow.

Offline ZimaBlue

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 07:46:40 am »
Yeah, thank you! I'll just do it as I said in my last post and try not to think too much about it anymore :-X

Get The Forum As A Mobile App