Author Topic: B2-0801 The stuck 3 & 4 chords  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Martinharv

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: B2-0801 The stuck 3 & 4 chords
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2021, 11:14:00 am »
I struggle with anything that involves all 4 fingers as my index finger is a bit knackered, my pinky is fine as till now I've pretty much used middle, ring and pinky for all the 3 finger chords.The big G, C add9, and Emin7 all sound a bit rubbish as my index finger tends to mute anything it crosses. I'm ok with the 4 finger A7sus4 as the strings the index finger lays on are played in front of it.  I'm beginning to tire of Wonderwall, it is, apart from Shallow the only song I actually know using these chords and it sounds awful. The verse chords all sound the same to me and, rather concerninly I dread the 10 mins practicing it. I'm worried that this resulting in the practice becoming a chore instead of fun.

Offline kaiben

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2021, 07:14:34 pm »
I have already some problems wist my wrist (mouse arm or something similar). I got quite good along with the open chords but have increased pain after practicing the BIG-G and CADD9 chords.

Comparing my wrist angle with Justin's you see that I have a much steeper angle. Justins wrist angle is nearly flat.

This is the problem I suppose.
But, if I try to keep the wrist flat, as Justin does, I always mute the A-string with the second finger pressing the E-string (BIG-G). Tilting the wrist is the only way I found to keep the fingers nearly vertical and so avoid muting the other strings.

Any ideas how I can improve my writs posture?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2021, 08:44:14 pm »
Kaiben - that angle looks dreadfully uncomfortable and awkward to play.
From the perspective I suggest that you need to adjust the guitar relative to your body - it looks like the neck is too far across to your right and it needs to be pushed further away from you to allow you elbow and forearm space to manoevre.

Offline kaiben

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2021, 09:13:05 pm »
Thank you close2u for your quick response. Good that you confirm that the angle looks not OK. I will look at your suggestions, but I am not sure that this is the reason. I was not actually playing, just gripped the chord and maybe moved it a bit nearer to the camera and maybe that is the reason that the position looks strange.

Starting with BIG-G I always muted the A-string with the second finger pressing the E-string and similar on CADD9. This was previously the case learning the standard G chord leading to me only using Justins hacked variant, which mutes the A-string intentionally. But now I thought i have to manage it. And the only way I found was to tilt my wrist more, so that I can press the finger tip of the second finger nearly vertical on the E-string.

Offline djdrysdale

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2021, 12:23:33 am »
I'm coming back to the basics with this course and learned the "Big G" years ago. I was self-taught and always did it by effectively barring the B and e strings with my pinky instead of using both my third and fourth fingers. Is this likely to cause problems? I can fret it as Justin shows us but habits (and muscle memory) are hard to break.

Offline MrPB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2021, 04:53:59 pm »
Can I just use these in replacement of other chords any time they are in a song and it's 'easier' ie anything with a combination of G, C, D, A, Em
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Positive Grid Spark Amp

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 07:46:27 pm »
@MrPB

Use your ears - if those stuck 3&4s sound good, yes go for it! :)

Offline MrPB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2021, 08:54:16 pm »
@MrPB

Use your ears - if those stuck 3&4s sound good, yes go for it! :)
If it sounds good, it is good?  8)
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Positive Grid Spark Amp

Offline GNS

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2021, 03:25:41 pm »
Hey, guys, I don't know whether it was already asked here or not, but here I go  ;D

Regarding 3&4 chord change exercises, is it enough to do the transitions with full G chord (Full g to Rock G; Cadd9, Dsus4 etc.) or should I also incorporate standard open chords in to this (A, E, D etc.)? Because, 3&4 changes are fairly easy for me now (I sort of did them a while ago without going in to Grade 2, because I couple of songs used them). And that's associated with another question: how often in songs to standard open chords change in to 3&4 chords

Get The Forum As A Mobile App