Author Topic: B2-0801 The stuck 3 & 4 chords  (Read 1875 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
B2-0801 The stuck 3 & 4 chords
« on: January 01, 2020, 08:14:32 pm »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:36:42 am by close2u »

Offline pcgirl1965

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: B2-0801 The stuck 3 & 4 chords
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 06:51:38 pm »
Wonder if anyone else has trouble with these chords?  My third finger and pinky are killing me because I have to press so hard to keep them on the strings.  And I find it very difficult to keep those fingers put and stretch my first and second fingers for the Em7 and Cadd9.  Any suggestions?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 08:52:14 pm »
Wonder if anyone else has trouble with these chords?  My third finger and pinky are killing me because I have to press so hard to keep them on the strings.  And I find it very difficult to keep those fingers put and stretch my first and second fingers for the Em7 and Cadd9.  Any suggestions?
Try starting on the F6/9 and gradually move 1 & 2 out a string at a time to the big G, i.e. F6/9, C add 9, Big G - this will help develop the stretch needed, it’s also a nice sounding mix of chords!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 12:19:19 am »
This is such a good lesson from Justin.  Imo a fairly important one too.   Those stuck chords I think he called them although hugely popular in 90's rock etc are so useful and having them under your fingers as a natural alternative is something eventually you don't conciously think about, you'll just use them, a lot.   Great lesson for all this one.

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline mjones970

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 08:21:36 pm »
I'm really struggling with these chords.

When trying to play the Big G chord my 2nd finger keeps muting the 5th string and my thumb muscle is quite painful.

It feels quite awkward to play

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 08:33:55 pm »
...When trying to play the Big G chord my 2nd finger keeps muting the 5th string and my thumb muscle is quite painful.
Muting the 5th string is not a problem at all.
Pain is ... don't play on past the pain point. Short bursts then rest.

Offline mjones970

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 08:58:27 pm »
Ah that's interesting to know. I've been trying to get all the strings to ring out clearly when going through each one by one.

The pain is more of sharp pain in the palm part of my thumb muscle. I think its just because that muscle has not been stretched like that before, so hopefully a couple of weeks it will settle.

Big G has definitely been the hardest chord for me so far....not even got to F yet!

Sent from my SM-G970F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline mjones970

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 08:49:46 pm »
Hi, I'm currently on lesson 8 on the new beginner's course. I've been on this lesson for about 2 weeks.

I'm finding it quite tough. The Big G and C add9 chords are especially challenging for me. I'm still trying to get them to ring out clearly before even attempting one minute changes.

I'm practising wonderwall too, but at a slower tempo (70bpm) and only doing down strums. Even at a slower tempo my fingers just don't want to move and go where I want them to.

Has anyone else found lesson 8 challenging? I keep telling myself it just takes time and practice, but knowing others are in the same boat will help with my own sanity.

I can imagine this point along the course is  where a lot of people just drop out!

Sent from my SM-G970F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline skeldol

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 09:12:38 pm »
I found my 3rd and 4th fingers kept creeping over to the right stopping the strings ringing out.  It's tough, definitely took a while.  Those 3rd and 4th fingers hurt too being left on those strings all the time.  Good luck, you are probably closer than you think.

Offline tblazhev

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 08:43:56 am »
Hi,

I've practiced these chords for a long time now. I can generally do them, but my 3rd finger (and sometimes 4th) always seems to move erratically and makes a buzz when changing between these chords - either it moves to the left of the fret and I have to press real hard, or it tilts up or down and is not round.
This tends to happen mainly when changing to/from Emin7, but it happens with the other chords as well.

Are there any stretches/exercises I could do to fix this problem?

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 09:31:08 am »
I am using the pinky workout as part of my practice routine. It hard at first, but now I start to get better coordination with my pinky.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/pinky-workout-b2-907

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
  • SoCal kid living in my RV in Florida
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 11:36:03 am »
I have been doing 5 minutes of "finger gym" at each session since around lesson 4. I don't focus so much on the first 3 fingers as they are already pretty strong but 5 minutes of pinky hammer ons (1-4, 2-4 & 3-4) is a real workout for the pinky.

Ring finger to pinky especially...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDt_4ha9Xjs&list=TLPQMjQxMjIwMjA0vxIdFHHdGg&index=6
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline edward777123

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 10:26:09 pm »
which songs did people use to practice stuck 3-4 chords EXEPT from the obvious wonderwall.

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 10:41:10 pm »
I had the same question like you when I learn this lesson. But later I notice there are tons of song. Just take one example, Justin song lesson “Wish You Were There”, even the riff is played this way. I just checked my own song list, the first one by alphabetic order “3am” by MB20 is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 12:36:22 am »
Add to the list, just heard another few songs on my 30min way to work:
Guns n Roses: Patience
Howie Day: Collide
Ed Sheehan: Perfect
Maroon 5: Payphone
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:21:27 am by firstrazor »

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 01:07:24 am »
Just found a new song by Ed Sheeran: Afterglow.
Almost all down strum, fantastic song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zurura023

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
    • My visual art thing....
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 02:15:08 pm »
Noel Gallagher's Dead in the water works well. One of the initial songs that I learnt to play. Simple song structure and goes well with "Old faithful" strumming and even with variations of 16th note as you progress.

Quite a few Oasis songs work well with these. Alternatively, you can try any song with G, C, Em and D combination replacing them with the stuck variants. I'm sure you'll find quite a few which sound good where you keep the pinky and ring stuck throughout.

Cheers,
G
- G

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline edward777123

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 04:56:10 pm »
 ;Dcheers guys

Offline joseflanders

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 02:58:47 pm »
The trouble I'm having playing these chords are my ring finger nail either touches the G string or when string is played vibrates off the nail.

Flexibility issue?

Offline nkjays

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 03:03:37 pm »
The trouble I'm having playing these chords are my ring finger nail either touches the G string or when string is played vibrates off the nail.

Flexibility issue?
I'm a beginner as well, but I'd say it's two things: you need to practice making sure the joint in front of your finger tip is curled sorta like a claw, make sure your fingers aren't flat or bending the wrong way. And make sure the string is right on your finger tips.

And 2nd,a good setup of the guitar can help with this. If your strings are really high and far from the guitar then it can be hard to get your fingers in without touching the other strings as the fat part of your fingertips will touch the other strings. I got the action on my guitar lowered and it made a lot of chords much easier.

Sent from my motorola one hyper using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline firstrazor

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 03:09:31 pm »

Flexibility issue?
I have a meaty ring finger tip, so I don’t have the problem you are having.

But I have another problem - it is too painful for the last two fingers to finish even one song. I’m going to buy the silicon finger caps to have a try. Maybe this little trick can help you also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App