Author Topic: B1-604 A 6/8 strumming pattern  (Read 911 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:22:54 am by close2u »

Offline pinkyisbroken

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: B1-604 A 6/8 strumming pattern
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 06:52:07 pm »
1 2+ + 4

Feel free to still add the missing bits. This really, really put the cat among the pidgeons for me.

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 07:34:43 pm »
1 2+ + 4

Feel free to still add the missing bits. This really, really put the cat among the pidgeons for me.

I am not sure what you question is, although the cat gives a sense of confusion.

6/8 would be 1+2+3+4+5+6+
4/4 would be 1+2+3+4+

If you did 1 2+ + 4 with 6/8, you need to time out to 6/8 so:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 +
D   D U    U D

Rather than 4/4:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
D   D U    U D

I hope that helps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pinkyisbroken

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 03:36:16 pm »
1 2+ + 4

The + after the first 1 is missing
The 3 is missing
The + after the 4 is mising.

Till now i have relied upon the 1+2+3+4+
with                                     D DUD  D

Being under them.

The 1 2+ + 4 with nothing under it just does my head in as i not only have to figure out the timing but also the missing info. Maybe this was just an isolated case.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 11:27:07 pm »
If there is a number you strum down if there is a + you strum up. if there is
nothing you do nothing.

Quite simple once you get your head rapped around it. Can look a little strange at first
but is easier to read than on line on top of another. Once you are used to it

Offline scote

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 01:03:26 am »
I'm currently working on Module 7 and I never practiced a song with 6/8 time. I've been trying to work on that by doing This Year Love since it is 6/8 and is one that Justin suggests.

I just rewatched this lesson since I wasn't every happy with my 6/8 strumming and just realized that Justin says to accent the 1 and 4 which seems to be a full strum of the strings especially for the chord you are playing. Then you do a small strum or only hit the first few thicker strings for the other strums. I've been doing a full strum on each down strum since I missed that part the first time through.

So I have said all that to get to my question which seems to be stupid to me. When doing the strumming pattern that includes up strums and missing beats 2 and 5 do you do small strums (hitting the first few thick strings) for beats 3 6 or do a full strum for these beats also?

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 04:08:10 am »
I'm currently working on Module 7 and I never practiced a song with 6/8 time. I've been trying to work on that by doing This Year Love since it is 6/8 and is one that Justin suggests.

I just rewatched this lesson since I wasn't every happy with my 6/8 strumming and just realized that Justin says to accent the 1 and 4 which seems to be a full strum of the strings especially for the chord you are playing. Then you do a small strum or only hit the first few thicker strings for the other strums. I've been doing a full strum on each down strum since I missed that part the first time through.

So I have said all that to get to my question which seems to be stupid to me. When doing the strumming pattern that includes up strums and missing beats 2 and 5 do you do small strums (hitting the first few thick strings) for beats 3 6 or do a full strum for these beats also?

scote, I think the key on accented strums is volume, not necessarily the strings you are strumming. You could do full strums throughout the pattern, just louder on 1 and 4.

You should also be guided by your ears, what sounds good. For example, you may hit the low strings on 1 and 4 hard, allowing them to ring, while playing the high strings a little softer on 2, 3, 5 & 6, while skipping downs and ups as you want.

And eventually you move the accents around to taste, no rules.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline scote

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 02:11:48 am »
DavidP, I didn't know what others did with strumming. I tried both just volume and changing which strings I was hitting. It was nice to have options I hadn't tried before to keep it interesting instead of just playing the same strings and volume per bar. I hadn't really thought about changing anything since I figure all the amazing sound you hear when someone plays the guitar was from strumming pattern but I'm starting to see there is more to it then just down and up strums. Seems like guitar has a lot of stuff to learn and as you learn more about one thing the more you realize there is more to learn and try in that one thing. I guess it will make sense someday but hey there is no end to this journey.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 04:37:33 am »
DavidP, I didn't know what others did with strumming. I tried both just volume and changing which strings I was hitting. It was nice to have options I hadn't tried before to keep it interesting instead of just playing the same strings and volume per bar. I hadn't really thought about changing anything since I figure all the amazing sound you hear when someone plays the guitar was from strumming pattern but I'm starting to see there is more to it then just down and up strums. Seems like guitar has a lot of stuff to learn and as you learn more about one thing the more you realize there is more to learn and try in that one thing. I guess it will make sense someday but hey there is no end to this journey.

You are so right, scote. Initially the focus is on making clean chords, smooth changes, smooth steady strumming, Before anything else one needs to be able to play in time. Then comes the 1/8 note patterns. And once you become comfortable then you can start to play with more feel, adding the dynamics, etc.  But everything is built on that solid foundation laid in the first few grades.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Get The Forum As A Mobile App