Author Topic: B1-401 Beginner finger stretches  (Read 500 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:11:14 am by close2u »

Offline ugurakcan

• Good Vibes 0
Re: B1-401 Beginner finger stretches
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 02:44:36 am »
When I try to keep my fingers parallel to one another (as recommended in the video), my technique and speed improve significantly, however, the muscle on my wrist starts hurting. Is this normal? Would the pain go away if I keep on doing the exercises and strengthening that muscle or is it an anatomical issue and I should play however I feel comfortable?

Offline ions

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 08:39:17 pm »
When doing this exercise is the intention that the adjacent strings are muted or should I be able to ring them clearly?

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 10:35:06 pm »
When doing this exercise is the intention that the adjacent strings are muted or should I be able to ring them clearly?
You should only be playing the string you are fretting. This is a stretching exercise not a strumming exercise.  Watch the video, Justin explains it all very clearly.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline ions

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 09:48:56 pm »
Just watched again and nowhere does Justin mention whether the adjacent strings should be able to ring out clearly or not - to paraphrase he says something like "try to get them in the best position possible". I am aware he does not ask the student to play adjacent strings, I am asking if I should be trying to place them so that IF I wanted to I could or if that would make the stretch better.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 09:00:09 am »
When I try to keep my fingers parallel to one another (as recommended in the video), my technique and speed improve significantly, however, the muscle on my wrist starts hurting. ...
Hi and welcome to the forum. This may be due to your overall posture. Have you watched the video 'how to hold your guitar'?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 09:02:49 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
This is an incidental point so your question is not at all relevant in truth. Don't over thing it. If your fingers brush against the strings when playing the thicker strings - so be it. If you arch them and don't touch any of the others, so be it. I would suggest that your fingers, when playing the thicker ones, be slightly flattened out, with arched tips so that you are fretting the individual string with your tip.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App