Author Topic: B1-110 One minute changes  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Jamolay

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
Re: B1-110 One minute changes
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2021, 01:30:25 pm »
I fell that I need to dissect each cord change and learn it on several levels and perhaps several ways.

It is just my beginner experience with myself, but I think Justin has thought this through, and even recently modified his ideas. The “fast perfect” changes is a relatively new addition, I think.

Theses exercises feed each other to help, and bring a consciousness to separate aspects of cord playing individually. It is harder to progress the more complicated a process is, if you are trying to learn all the separate pieces at the same time.

I have spent a lot of time just slowing down and studying how my fingers move in cord changes. Often it starts pretty inefficiently and I need to practice specific movement to get the change to work better and faster.

So “cord perfect” is slow and precise placement of fingers, which finger moves when, and trying to slowly progress to moving all fingers at once.

The fast changes take those movements and tries to bring them to realistic speeds. I find I get stuck when I am too fast, or one finger lags. Like the D cord. At first I placed finger 1 (A) and 2 (F#) and my finger 3 (D) would pull way back, only to sloooowly reach forward again and I could not go fast. Only through precise and careful practice and trying placing the 3rd (D) first did I eventually get closer to all at once. Still a work in process. I am trying similar efforts with the F barre cord (the barre wants to go down too late). Getting close! I broke 30 fast changes with a nice ringing cord finally!

“Fast perfect “ is the glue that pulls the perfect cord to the fast exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GNS

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2021, 04:03:29 pm »
So, update: Well, after a couple of weeks, I think I over-did it a bit judging from Justin's recommendation in order to pass the lessons and the grade. He says that you need to be at 30 chord changes per minute. Okey, well, I'm well past that, the least changes I get is 60 (and it involves either Dm chord or G chord), whereas most of the changes go above 70 mark. Yeah, I think I'm gonna move on to Grade 2.

[ADDENDUM: Plus, by now I know how to play a couple of my favourite songs and I even went out of my comfort zone to try out AC/DC Thunderstruck riff lol]

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 391
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2021, 04:27:58 pm »
So, update: Well, after a couple of weeks, I think I over-did it a bit judging from Justin's recommendation in order to pass the lessons and the grade. He says that you need to be at 30 chord changes per minute. Okey, well, I'm well past that, the least changes I get is 60 (and it involves either Dm chord or G chord), whereas most of the changes go above 70 mark. Yeah, I think I'm gonna move on to Grade 2.

[ADDENDUM: Plus, by now I know how to play a couple of my favourite songs and I even went out of my comfort zone to try out AC/DC Thunderstruck riff lol]

Sounds like you are ready to rock on, GNS.  All I'd suggest now is make a simple recording of you playing those favourite songs and post them up in the AVOYP area. I know that may sound a bit scary, and it is the first time I can't deny, but it is also invaluable to get feedback to confirm your own sense of progress, suggestions, and most of all unbounded encouragement.

Offline GNS

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2021, 10:31:44 am »
Sounds like you are ready to rock on, GNS.  All I'd suggest now is make a simple recording of you playing those favourite songs and post them up in the AVOYP area. I know that may sound a bit scary, and it is the first time I can't deny, but it is also invaluable to get feedback to confirm your own sense of progress, suggestions, and most of all unbounded encouragement.

Maybe, one day, once I properly learn the bar chords or open chords, which are more than one fret apart.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App