Author Topic: B1-102 How to hold your guitar  (Read 482 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 586
  • Teesside, North East England.
B1-102 How to hold your guitar
« on: February 01, 2018, 11:16:00 am »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:45:47 am by close2u »

Offline joresh

• Good Vibes 0
Re: B1-102 How to hold your guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 06:28:08 am »
Hi,

Started learning from Justin about 4 months back and it is great! I am 56 and first time learning an instrument!

The thing that gave me the most trouble was how to hold the guitar.  Justin recommends on your right thigh.  When I did this, my strumming was happening right over the neck pickup. I had bend my wrist to strum between the neck and bridge pickups (my hands are too long?).  Also, my left hand had to bend parallel to the ground for me to play.  I found this really awkward.  I did some research and learnt about the classical posture.  Guitar between the legs with it resting on the left thigh.  Also, this raised the neck so that the tuners were inline with my face.  I found this much better.  I also invested in a little cushion to rest the guitar on my left thigh.

Did anyone else have trouble with this?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 08:30:47 am »
I used to have problems like that with one particular guitar, really it was too big for me so I got rid! Occasionally I don’t feel totally comfortable so I just use a strap playing seated so it doesn’t have to be supported on either thigh or anywhere else!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 12:30:26 pm »
I'm probably the last person to give playing advice but I have freaky long arms and Edward scissor hands length fingers and at 58 not very bendy :)

my right hand thing is my palm ends up on the bridge, but I'm still just past the middle pickup (Strat) towards the neck

My left wrist and were the hell does my thumb go was always my issue, comfortable is like carrying a tray like a waiter but I have to get somewhere in between the wrong and ideal, you'll probably need to use some artist license and compromise.

there's a few videos on hand stretching and workout that Justin did, these helped me so much, I found a wrist position that works for me and it also helps with the pressure you need to apply.
I mainly do the workout one which just uses the 4 fingers on their more natural positions, starting from the 12th fret and head towards the nut.
it also helped with my right hand position... this sounds really odd put changing picks also helps me, maybe it's because it switches the focus ever so slightly, I go between a regular pick to a triangular one, sometimes a 6pence

regarding position, right leg, tuners up and away at an angle, I really should try a strap, I find the Strat starts relaxing, my Hofner violin bass grabs on for dear life lol
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:04:23 pm by nigec »
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App