Author Topic: B1-106 How to hold a guitar pick  (Read 2267 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:47:59 am by close2u »

Offline guitarboi123

• Good Vibes 0
Re: B1-106 How to hold a guitar pick
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:08 am »
Hi, I am new to the forum!  I have been playing for around a month and have been holding my pick with my thumb sideways but my index finger pointing towards the base of my thumb.  I have gotten used to this but I think that the correct way to hold the pick is with my index finger pointing towards the tip of the pick?  This feels kind of awkward and my nail sometimes hits the strings which is annoying.  Should I try to just get used to this?  Thanks.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 09:06:42 pm »
I would say try and get used to holding the pick as per the lesson, it won't take long and there was a reason for doing it ( I can't remember off hand what it was but I am sure there was).

Sent from my RMX2144 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline scoreguitar

• Good Vibes 0
    • ScoreGuitar
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 07:06:35 am »
If you search on google, you will get so many so called fancy ways to hold a guitar pick. I tried a couple of them and failed :'(

I simply get back to the thing that my teacher teaches me: They called it an 'O method'.
you have to hold the pick between the pad of a thumb and the side of the index finger. Then elongate your all fingers in O shape.

This method gives me a grip and kind of control over my hands. I work for me, try it!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App