Author Topic: Two Pentatonic Lead Patterns  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
Two Pentatonic Lead Patterns
« on: August 08, 2020, 02:08:21 pm »
It is possible to construct two  pentatonic lead patterns using only two simple shapes.  If you are having trouble breaking out of the pentatonic boxes then these patterns might help.  Hopefully this visual presentation will make things clear.

Lead Pattern 1
The numbers indicating the fingering. The 1--1--3 indicates the first finger is sliding 2 frets.

Lead Pattern 2
Again, the numbers indicating the fingering. The 1--1--3 indicates the first finger is sliding 2 frets.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:13:30 pm by Matt125 »

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
Re: Two Pentatonic Lead Patterns
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 02:09:41 pm »
Lead Pattern 1 is constructed from this shape.

Lead Pattern 2 is constructed from this shape.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:30:13 pm by Matt125 »

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 02:10:32 pm »
Both shapes are fairly easy to remember once you know how to construct them.

Construction of the  A minor pentatonic Lead Pattern1 1. The green note indicates the root note.
Notice that the root note is on the 6th and 2nd strings.

Construction of the A minor pentatonic Lead Pattern 2. The green note indicates the root note.
Notice that the root note is on the 5th and 1st strings.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:43:13 pm by Matt125 »

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 02:11:20 pm »
How the Lead Patterns 1 relate to each other.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:52:13 pm by Matt125 »

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 02:12:07 pm »
The 5 standard pentatonic shapes as they relate to Lead Patterns 1 and 2.  The green shapes are the 5 standard pentatonic shapes.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 03:49:53 pm »
Thanks for posting this, I've posted a video detailing this concept sometime ago. I'm not sure that it landed on fertile ground. :)

This concept has been the basis of my pentatonic fretboard travels. The patterns are easy, adding musicality and some sense of melody is the challenge. Great for musical stream of consciousness and improvisational play.

Both patterns are simple, with pattern one you count 1-2 & 1-2-3 & 1-2 & 1-2-3 (etc) as you move up the fretboard and 1-2-3 & 1-2 (etc) as you move down. Pattern two reverses with the count 1-2-3 & 1-2 as you move up, and 1-2 & 1-2-3 as you move back down.

Be forewarned, once you get this under your fingers it can be a rut -- be sure to continue learning the fretboard and working on 1/2 tone notes, developing melodies, triads, chord tones, etc. This is a tool for your tool kit, not the end all --be all.

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 04:17:21 pm »
Thanks CT.  I’m not too bad at learning the patterns. I can move through the 5 pentatonic shapes
OK but the shifts have always felt a little random. I’m hoping these shapes will allow for a more efficient and intuitive way to move up and down the fretboard.  Developing musicality with them is the real challenge as you say.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 06:49:51 pm »
These are just extensions to the pentatonic scale, and they frame the main pentatonic pattern (I guess most folks call it pattern #1):

So pattern one on Amin pent with extensions would start at the 3rd fret and traverse through the various patterns of the scale. Pattern two would start at the 8th fret. With the layout above you can see the 1-2 & 1-2-3 notes per string (and the reverse) pattern.

To do musical things with this is to muck around with the boxes based on the root note of the scale, paying attention to slide and bendy bits, chord tones, etc. You can look at whatever progression you are working with and transfer this approach to the chord being played. The idea is as moveable as the #1 pentatonic pattern.     

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 07:01:34 pm »
Great stuff guys thanks for sharing. I've seen versions of these patterns before but your post are a useful reminder, as I have just jumped back into Blues Lead and Rhythm courses but am also reviewing some minor pent and major scale impros. ie ground up work to make up for lost time.
Bookmarked for reference.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 10:00:46 pm »
FYI, Marty Music is a huge promoter of pentatonic extensions:

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 10:19:06 pm »
I need time to cross reference ... this rings some memory bells and gets me thinking of StichMethod's neverlost pentatonic idea.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 08:20:28 am »
Good vibes, Matt, for all the effort you've taken to produce these diagrams and share.  8)

I read these and then have to apply focus and move quickly along.  One day I will turn my attention to lead play and give it structured, discplined attention but for now I shan't let myself be seduced and stray from my current focal points.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 10:30:57 am »
@Matt

Thanks for putting in time to make these.
Questions ...

Have you considered the problems of navigation given that these patterns do not start on a root note? Would it be worthwhile explaining how / why the repeating patterns do not start on the root notes?

Can you edit your graphics so the motion parts move slower or are movable with a mouse click when the viewer chooses?

You have shown a first finger / index finger slide ... did you consider marking that as a 3rd finger slide which is perhaps a more common approach to that particular single-string shift?

I need time to cross reference ... this rings some memory bells and gets me thinking of StichMethod's neverlost pentatonic idea.

Here is Ian Stich explaining his concept of 'neverlost' for the minor and major pentatonic scales ...
These do start on the root.
The second of these patterns actually match what Matt calls Lead 1 but is major and the first note of the pattern is the root note.

Online rwoodlin

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 11:24:40 am »
Oh! Wow!
Makes me want to jump directly to lead playing.  I wonder how much it would cause me to detour off the path being as I am only on Beginner 4?

Thanks for the post and following discussions.
Regards,
Robert

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 01:12:38 pm »
Have you considered the problems of navigation given that these patterns do not start on a root note? Would it be worthwhile explaining how / why the repeating patterns do not start on the root notes?

The small patterns are there to show how easy it is to construct the bigger pattern.  So it just makes it easier to get started.  It helps with learning the big pattern.  If you know where the root note is and play around with the bigger pattern then ideally you learn the sound of the intervals and can concentrate on the sound.  The big pattern then becomes second nature.  You can start giving less thought to the pattern and more thought to the melodic lines your playing within that extended shape..I don't necessarily think in those smaller chunks, (to be honest I tend to think in a 6 note chunk which I will try to expand on down the track}.    So long as you have a root not to get started you are good to go.  But I see where your coming from and I have a few more ideas I want to explore.  As CT pointed out, that root note in pattern 1 is the root note of the first minor pentatonic shape. Its not so easy to show that without adding complexity.

Can you edit your graphics so the motion parts move slower or are movable with a mouse click when the viewer chooses?

I chose a 1 second delay. I can change it to two secs easy enough. I have no idea how to make it clickable.  My biggest problems were to get the google drive images to show up (I can’t see them on my iPad). I might create an Imgur account as people have recommended Imgur for hosting images. The other big problem was getting the original larger images to fit on the screen.  They don’t appear to be auto scaled and anything larger than about 500 pixels wide was showing a part of the image with sliders to move it left and right.  Any ideas on how to address this problem would be helpful.

You have shown a first finger / index finger slide ... did you consider marking that as a 3rd finger slide which is perhaps a more common approach to that particular single-string shift?

Yes I can change that.

I’m going to look at those videos  that you and CT have posted.  Thank you both for those.  I have seen Marty’s extended scale before. I think it is Lead Pattern1 from memory but it might be slightly different.  I tend to learn things visually.  So if I can see the pattern then I am more easily able to understand and use it.  The problem with just learning  the 5 pentatonic patterns, is that there is no obvious way to move between them. 

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
    • YouTube
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 03:53:59 pm »
I'm not an expert player, nor do consider myself good enough to teach. Consider what I say as sharing my opinion and approach.

Always starting and ending on a root note, or at the bottom or top of the pattern is a sure fire way to dig yourself into a rut. Your playing will become formulaic. Once you know your way around the pentatonic scale and its extensions, you can start on any note or box within the scale. Knowing where the triads are on the fret board and the missing notes to get some 1/2 step tones from the major, minor or blues scales really expands the possibilities. 

EDIT: Stich overcomplicated something that is very simple in the first video. The second video didn't play for me. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:11:09 pm by CT »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App