Author Topic: How necessary is it to set up an electric guitar?  (Read 993 times)

Offline gertvr

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
How necessary is it to set up an electric guitar?
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:42:24 am »
Hey everyone,

I hear a lot of comments about the need to set up one's (new) electric guitar. I am fairly new at playing guitar (6 months give or take) and play mostly acoustic.

A few months ago I purchased a brand-new Fender Stratocaster for various reasons (experimenting with other sounds, learning barre chords, etc). The guitar sounded great straight of the box (but what do I know?). It just needed a little bit of tuning.

2 questions:

- What exactly does "setting up" entail?
- Is it really necessary for someone like me? By which I mean, will I even notice the adjustments made to the guitar? Or is it something only pros get stuck in to?

PS the vendor assured me that before shipping a technician gives all guitars a once-over to check for flaws in the hardware, and whether intonation and action need adjusting.

Tx  :)
Faith PJE Legacy Mars, Fender Tim Amstrong Hellcat, Fender Player Stratocaster HSS, Boss Katana 50.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
Re: How necessary is it to set up an electric guitar?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 10:07:34 am »
This may help:

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/action-guitar-set-up-guide-bc-164

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:09:10 am »
If you have bought a Fender Stratocaster then you have bought a quality instrument that absolutely should be well built and manufactured plus the factory then the store should absolutely have done some checking and quality control work.

A set up on an electric is to make sure that the neck is set to avoid string buzz with string height that is not too high or low, that the notes when fretted are in tune all over the neck (intonation) and that the frets are level with no rough edges spots or sharp edges etc.

Many people buy budget guitars or 2nd hand guitars where having all these things checked is a very good idea as the fact of their guitars being budget or used may mean that the quality control is not great / consistent or that the guitar has been stored badly / misused and so would benefiit from attention by a guitar technician.

Yours should be fine.

Congrats on the new guitar.

Please post pics!

:)

Offline gertvr

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:27:18 am »
close2u I thank you for the reassuring reply!

And yes, I am very happy I didn't buy 2nd hand or budget. This Strat is really really nice to look at and even play on! It was also the right choice to go ahead and buy an electric guitar so early on my learning route, seeing how easy it is to get to grips with, e.g., the dreaded F chord on this toy.

Will post some pics asap:)

G.

Faith PJE Legacy Mars, Fender Tim Amstrong Hellcat, Fender Player Stratocaster HSS, Boss Katana 50.

Offline lasombra

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 10:42:08 am »
Congratulations on your purchase :)

From experience, a basic setup with proper intonation and action adjustment makes a world of difference. I am a beginner and bought a second hand guitar and thought it was OK, but sent for a setup just to see what would come back and I was pleasently surprised.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 02:49:47 am »
Set up for beginners is usually to ensure it plays 'low' without buzzing. Having the strings as close to the fretboard as possible makes for easier fretting.

A quality guitar will be well made, but they are all sent out with factory settings, which are usually to suit the average player. A store should personalize the set up to your preferences. Beginner don't have any, so being set up for maximum play-ability is what they should do. But almost none will do it without being asked to, and best to ask before you pay for it, as most will charge for it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App